Which ref called the foul on Crocker?

If officials weren't so maddeningly inconsistent from game to game, half to half and minute to minute, the fans wouldn't second guess them so much. Their lack of consistency begs for criticism.

Same could be said for players/coaches, as you mentioned earlier.

If officials weren't so maddeningly inconsistent from game to game, half to half and minute to minute, the fans wouldn't second guess them so much. Their lack of consistency begs for criticism.

Have you ever tried to ref a game, in any sport? It is SO hard. As fans, we are just sitting or standing there and watching the ball. Refs have to be in constant motion, don't get to use replay on 99% of their calls, and have to watch the entire court.

My Dad always tells a great story. When he was younger, the umps didn't show up a baseball game he was playing in. The teams decided to let the players call the game, one from each team behind the plate and on the field. First pitch thrown with my Dad behind the plate, fastball, right down the middle, waist high. He calls it a ball. Said it was the easiest strike call of his life, and the word "ball" is what came out of his mouth. I know he wasn't trained, and wasn't doing it for a living, but officiating high level sports is not easy at all.

Have you ever tried to ref a game, in any sport? It is SO hard. As fans, we are just sitting or standing there and watching the ball. Refs have to be in constant motion, don't get to use replay on 99% of their calls, and have to watch the entire court.

My Dad always tells a great story. When he was younger, the umps didn't show up a baseball game he was playing in. The teams decided to let the players call the game, one from each team behind the plate and on the field. First pitch thrown with my Dad behind the plate, fastball, right down the middle, waist high. He calls it a ball. Said it was the easiest strike call of his life, and the word "ball" is what came out of his mouth. I know he wasn't trained, and wasn't doing it for a living, but officiating high level sports is not easy at all.

I never said it was easy. Perhaps the quality of officiating would go up if officiating weren't a 'part-time' job. I don't know what the answer is. I just know it needs to improve.

I never said it was easy. Perhaps the quality of officiating would go up if officiating weren't a 'part-time' job. I don't know what the answer is. I just know it needs to improve.

It can always improve, just like the play of our team.

Actually, the movement from high-major D-I coaches is that officials are working TOO many games. Look at Welmer, he probably does around 125 games between mid-November to mid-March. Also, if someone has a problem with the officiating, blame the OU athletic department and Capel, they pretty much have the final word on does the game. CBB and football do not have the same officiating structure, many officials do multiple conferences.

As for the part vs full-time sentiment, think of this. the NBA is the most criticized level of officiating...it's a full time gig. NFL, widely to believed to have some of the best officiating out of professional sports, is a part-time.

Players make mistakes. Coaches make mistakes. Fans make mistakes because they don't always see what they thought they saw. I have no idea why fans expect officials to never make mistakes. As TU said, it is NOT easy being an official. That said, instant replay proves they are right a lot more often than the fans are.

The only reason he got 2 shots is they were in the double bonus. The ref may have signaled it was on the floor so initially he signaled one-on-one but the scorekeeper told the ref they were over the 10 foul limit.

Unless the scoreboard operator messed up (which is entirely possible), then it was the 9th foul and it would have been a 1 and 1 if it were on the floor.

I really love how many of the posters on this thread think gross incompetence, as long luckily the play was called "right", is acceptable as an official.

At the beginning of the game TTU had six fouls called on them within the first ten minutes. By the six minute mark the count was five fouls for OU and still only six for Tech. It was painfully obvious that the officials were calling "make-up" fouls to even things out. You tools who keep defending the horribly late, out-of-position call from the "trailing" official (who by the way couldn't even call the foul on the correct player), need to stop trying to prove that the Sooners are awful to the extent that you insult your own fellow fans. We may not have been officials but we aren't ignorant.

Does it seem funny to anyone else that certain posters barely said a word after the OU stomping of Texas but are back out of the woodwork after an ugly loss to a horrible Tech team? Some "fans"...

I think that is the biggest problem with officiating. On the play in question the whistle was late and that causes additional stress on players and fans.

I think that is the biggest problem with officiating. On the play in question the whistle was late and that causes additional stress on players and fans.

During last night's Michigan/Minnesota game, Knight went on and on about officials being inconsistent.

At the beginning of the game TTU had six fouls called on them within the first ten minutes. By the six minute mark the count was five fouls for OU and still only six for Tech. It was painfully obvious that the officials were calling "make-up" fouls to even things out. You tools who keep defending the horribly late, out-of-position call from the "trailing" official (who by the way couldn't even call the foul on the correct player), need to stop trying to prove that the Sooners are awful to the extent that you insult your own fellow fans. We may not have been officials but we aren't ignorant.
Does it seem funny to anyone else that certain posters barely said a word after the OU stomping of Texas but are back out of the woodwork after an ugly loss to a horrible Tech team? Some "fans"...

:clap

According to the play-by-play thread it was the 10th foul ..... Capel's technical foul counted, too.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/playbyplay?gameId=300400201

I count nine including Capel's. They have two fouls written down, but there was no foul when Capel was T'ed up. So unless Capel;s technical counts as two fouls (which makes no sense because he's not capable of committing a personal and a technical foul), then it's nine. He ran onto the court after we did not get a call (Warren was hacked), so there was no personal foul by a player.

1. Ryan Wright, 17:39
2. TMG, 17:01
3. Capel Technical, 14:58
4. Crocker, 14:17
5. TMG, 12:44
6. Cade, 10:45
7. Willie, 5:23
8. Tiny, 4:43
9. Crocker, 4:06 (This is the foul in question).

Back