Who was the better college player? Capel or Ford?

HoHum

Reaction score
:ford vs :jcapel

Figured this would be an interesting summer topic.

Travis Ford

travis_ford.jpg

Transfered from Missouri before the 91-92 season.

Sophomore - 12 MPG, 3.4 PPG, 1.16 A/TO ratio, 37.1 3PT % (26-70)
Junior - 32 MPG, 13.6 PPG, 1.82 A/TO ratio, 52.9 3PT % (101-191)
Senior - 32 MPG, 11.3 PPG, 2.12 A/TO ratio, 38 3PT % (63-166)

Career 88.2 FT shooter.

First team All-SEC Junior Year, 2nd team All-SEC Senior Year. NCAA regional MVP Junior Year.

source: bigbluehistory.net

Jeff Capel

68.jpg

Freshman - 26.4 MPG, 8.6 PPG, 1.58 A/TO ratio, 42 3PT % (32-76)
Sophomore - 29.5 MPG, 12.5 PPG, 1.12 A/TO ratio, 46 3PT % (63-137)
Junior - 34.9 MPG, 16.6 PPG, 1.56 A/TO, 33 3PT% (73-221)
Senior - 26.7 MPG, 12.4 PPG, 1.14 A/TO, 43 3PT% (52-119)

Career 67.6 FT shooter

Captain his Senior year.

I couldn't find a list of any awards that Capel earned.

Looks like Capel might have been hurt his Senior year, as he didn't start a handful of games. His Junior year Duke had an awful season and it looks like he was forced to shoot more.

Really they are very, very similar. Both played for college powers, both excellent 3 point shooters, neither incredible passers, but took good care of the ball.

Source: http://goduke.statsgeek.com

Without looking the stats over any more closely than what was presented, I'd say they were pretty even.

I wasn't a big Duke/UNC guy, but I loved UK under Pitino, so I was probably more familiar with Ford's "playing days."

Ford had a pretty good season at Missouri as a freshman. I don't remember his numbers (and did not look them up) but he was definitely a guy you noticed. With that said, I would probably say Capel was the better player because he could do almost everything Page could do (if not everything) and he was much bigger.

I put like 20 minutes into this last year. Figured it would be a good time to bump it, with little to talk about.

You were also bored and or drunk when you bumped this, weren't you hohum?

Looks like Capel might have been hurt his Senior year, as he didn't start a handful of games.

I don't know if an injury caused him to iniitially not start, but I do know at some point in the season he lost his starting spot, even when healthy.

I don't know if an injury caused him to iniitially not start, but I do know at some point in the season he lost his starting spot, even when healthy.

Nothing to contribute...but I LOVE the sig.

Classic.

Ford was a very good college player. really nice stroke from 3.

Pretty even as players, but right now Ford has proven to be a better coach.

IMO, I'm holding my judgement on who is the better coach. I think time needs to play out before I reach my conclusion, because while Ford has never had as bad of a season as Capel has had, he has also never had as great of a season as Capel has had, either (2008-2009).

IMO, I'm holding my judgement on who is the better coach. I think time needs to play out before I reach my conclusion, because while Ford has never had as bad of a season as Capel has had, he has also never had as great of a season as Capel has had, either (2008-2009).

:clap

And before someone goes there because they will. Just because he never won without Blake does not mean a damn thing. he recruited Blake. Also, Phil Jackson Never won without MJ or Kobe, Pat Riely never won without Magic or D-Wade, Popovich never won without Duncan, Robinson, Manu, and Parker. You have to have a superstar to win plain and simple.

We will see in a couple of years. Next year Ford will have all players that he recruited. We will see if he can keep the talent level as consistent as the Suttons. Great coaches also need great talent.

Back