Why wait to interview an assistant coach?

TINY

Reaction score
I’ve seen a lot of prognostications saying that since we haven’t hired a new coach that it means we are likely waiting for candidates to finish their season prior to interviewing. I can follow this logic. My question is, why would we wait to interview an assistant coach? Makes 0 sense to me. An assistant interviewing/accepting a head coaching role should have little to no impact on the current season. They would be able to do all their current team duties with no problems.

To me, if we follow the logic that “we are waiting to interview someone still in the tourney” it should only truly be applicable to a current head coach. A head coach potentially interviewing/accepting a new job could absolutely interfere with the current team’s season. Not so much for an assistant in hoops.

Youre playing to go to the National Championship... As impatient as I am focus on that.

Youre playing to go to the National Championship... As impatient as I am focus on that.

Yep. Especially because it's essentially one week. We likely wouldn't have hired a coach before next week, anyway.

Don't want a coach who can't focus on his next game because he is too busy planning his next move, no thank you.

Every day that OU doesn't have a coach... recruits are leaning to other programs, transfers are leaning to other schools.

OU is a rudderless ship right now heading into spring signing season.

I am sure all those who are interested in the job have made contact to Joe C through representation. now comes the patient part, it took 13 days between Sampson to Capel and 18 days between Capel to Kruger...we are at day 6 since Lon stepped down and it seems not many leaks are coming out of the Joe C camp...

I am sure all those who are interested in the job have made contact to Joe C through representation. now comes the patient part, it took 13 days between Sampson to Capel and 18 days between Capel to Kruger...we are at day 6 since Lon stepped down and it seems not many leaks are coming out of the Joe C camp...

I believe this is correct. Joe c doesn’t make snap decisions. He is doing a thorough interview process. This lag time doesn’t indicate to me that he is just waiting for certain assistant coaches to finish their seasons.

With the kind of guy Lon is he probably told Joe about his plans a while back to give him a chance to get a short list of coaches together so I would hope some of the groundwork has already taken place.

Every day that OU doesn't have a coach... recruits are leaning to other programs, transfers are leaning to other schools.

Dramatic.

So you wanted Kruger gone because you were bored, but only if Joe C. could have a new coach installed within a week.

Perhaps you should have mentioned that stipulation earlier.

Yep. Especially because it's essentially one week. We likely wouldn't have hired a coach before next week, anyway.

Exactly! A candidate for the OU job will not want a major distraction on the eve of a big tournament game—makes no difference if he’s the head coach or an assistant. It’s common courtesy to wait patiently until the tournament is over. I’m fine with that.

Also, you can only do zoom, since you aren’t going into that bubble. So do you really want to do a zoom interview when they are focused on the final four, and will that zoom interview really change your mind?

Answer is likely no.

Back