Will rebounding be a problem next year?

thebigabd

Reaction score
Tiny Gallon, Andrew Fitzgerald, Orlando Allen, and Ryan Wright will be the primary post rotation. Does anyone see a rebounding problem in the Big 12 with this bunch next year?

Also, who do you see as the leading rebounder? How many boards per game?

I think it will. Partly b/c we lose a beast in Blake, and partly b/c those that are taking his place aren't known as being good rebounders.

I think it will. Partly b/c we lose a beast in Blake, and partly b/c those that are taking his place aren't known as being good rebounders.

Fitz averaged 18 rebounds per game in high school, but yea, I know its a lot different...

I dont think it will be a major problem, but I do think it will be a big step down from the Griffin boys. Obviously Blake was a dominant rebounder, but Taylor was a strong rebounder as well. Both Griffins had the footwork and the strength to get position as well as the work ethic. On top of that they both had hops.

I dont think Gallon, Wright, Allen and Fitzgerald will be a horrible group on the boards, but they won't own the boards like the Griffins did.

I'm counting on Gallon to be the best rebounder of the group. Last year when Wright and Allen were on the floor at times other teams got 2nd and 3rd shots, even teams like Coppin State or Maryland Eastern Shore. Wright is a pretty solid rebounder but Allen scares me because he's often a step behind, but if Tiny can be a strong rebounder then we should be ok.

Fitz averaged 18 rebounds per game in high school, but yea, I know its a lot different...

Fitzgerald's toughness inside and his nose for the ball is one of the reasons I picked him to see starter-like minutes by mid season at the other post position.

That said, I think we will see more rebounding by committee and less standing around waiting for Blake to get the boards. When you take away his 14.4 rpg average and Taylor's respectable average of 5.8 rpg, OU was not a good rebounding team last year. Three other players (TC, AJ and JP) had a decent, but certainly nothing to write home about, averages of 3.0 to 3.6 rpg.

Yes, we will miss BG's rebounding (understatement) next season. But if everyone does their job and works hard to box out and get loose balls, I really don't believe matching what last year's team did in rebounding as any big hill to climb. JMHO.

I am scared to death that our rebounding is going to be terrible next year. Defensive rebounding is far from a strength regarding Tiny's game. We are really going to need the guards to help out in a big way next year and one that really has shown some serious promise on the glass is Cade Davis.

I agree with Ada. Too much relying on Blake last year. I would think that in view of our inexperience next year that JC will emphasize rebounding. Fitzgerald has a rep for being a good rebounder. Tiny's is just going to have to learn to mix it up.

Back