Willie and the 0-fer games....

thebigabd

Reaction score
Mount Saint Marys: 0-3
VCU: 0-8
Centenary: 0-6
UNC: 0-3

He is 11-44 from the 3pt line this year, and he has a few games where he didnt attempt a 3 (one where he didnt play and the other where he didnt attempt)....

Is he just a bad shooter? Big time slump? Attitude getting in the way?

You guys tell me....

How about posting the stats for the Arizona game and the Utah game when he stepped up. Just me or has he also done some good things this year? BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!

I think it's his attitude. He plays to the level of his competition.
Players like that drive me crazy.

How about posting the stats for the Arizona game and the Utah game when he stepped up. Just me or has he also done some good things this year? BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!

Sooo, you have no input in this thread? He got props for the Arizona game, which I am sure we can find if you would like to discuss that. Heck, I will join you.

That's what I mean about playing to the level of the competition.
And I don't know about "stepped up". He's a pre-season 1st or 2nd team all-american. That is what you do. And he was 7-22 vs Utah by the way. That's 32% shooting.

I gave my input. Give the complete story. We all know the kid needs to play better for the success of this team. But with the bad there is good. That's all I'm saying BIGABD. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!:woot

I don't think Willie is anything more than an average shooter. It's been said, but it bears repeating, WW is more "scorer" than "shooter".

That said, my two biggest problems with him are 1) his attitude and effort, as seen on the court, and b) the fact that he's already had too many games where he didn't "show up". If WW truly is a superstar, there is no excuse for him to already have 3 non-double digit point games. Not that that is the ultimate determining factor, but WW is at OU to score the basketball. TMG can distribute it. Cade, Pledger, Crocker, and TMG can shoot it. Tiny and Crocker can rebound it. WW needs to score it, and he needs to score it often and efficiently. He hasn't done that this year, IMO.

Willie did have a great game against Zona. Utah, I don't rate that game so high, even though he had the points. He wasn't effecient, and turned the ball over alot. As somebody mentioned earlier today, you take away game 1, and WW is almost dead even equal in assists and turnovers. Hard to be a good ball club when your best player isn't taking care of the ball.

I'm down on Willie. Probably as down on Willie as I have been on any "star" OU player that I can remember. The physical talent is there, no question. The effort, the intensity, the heart.....isn't always there. IF that changes, WW can elevate this entire team.

I gave my input. Give the complete story. We all know the kid needs to play better for the success of this team. But with the bad there is good. That's all I'm saying BIGABD. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!:woot

You can always play hard and have a good attitude....can't you?
To me that trumps everything. I won't stick up for a guy with a bad attitude.
I've been sticking up a bit for WW the last few weeks. I'm about done.
That's just me. If you ain't got the heart then go home.

Slump. He shot 37.2% from deep last year, and over 40% during league play. Bad shooters don't do that....

I think it is most likely a mental thing, and that is something that this team desperately needs him to hurry up and get over/correct.

Well cheno there's a lot of season left my friend. We'll see if the kid has any heart. I think he does. Let's see how it all plays out. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!

11 for 44 is the complete story for the poster was addressing 3 point shooting. Go figure!

People severely underestimated the effect of Blake Griffin on getting WW open shots last year.

He is a sophomore dealing with double teams from D1 defenders so expect his shooting percentage to be down until we establish an inside presence. Tiny needs to play the "ole" defense that Blake developed last season in order to stay out of foul trouble. If he does, then we can work the offense through him which will open up the outside looks. WW is a young cat that has a lot of pressure on him. It would be unwise to write him off at this time...

Well cheno there's a lot of season left my friend. We'll see if the kid has any heart. I think he does. Let's see how it all plays out. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!

You "think he does"? That's my point.
At this point it shouldn't be a matter of "let's see how it all plays out".
I wanna see it every game...from every player that steps on the court.
I don't think that's too much to ask.

Willie Warren is not a shooter...he is a scorer.

I will say it again, until he changes his form he will continue to struggle with his shot, will never be a consistent shooter if he keeps using the same mechanics.

Mount Saint Marys: 0-3
VCU: 0-8
Centenary: 0-6
UNC: 0-3

He is 11-44 from the 3pt line this year, and he has a few games where he didnt attempt a 3 (one where he didnt play and the other where he didnt attempt)....

Is he just a bad shooter? Big time slump? Attitude getting in the way?

You guys tell me....

Are you getting nut on his struggles, really not an OU fan or just vindictive? You tell me ...

Denver,
He's loving every minute of every OU struggle. I'll still never understand why he CONSTANTLY posts on this site and why nobody else has run him off yet.

It's really annoying. Makes me not want to come here. I just try to ignore it though.

Willie Warren is not a shooter...he is a scorer.

I will say it again, until he changes his form he will continue to struggle with his shot, will never be a consistent shooter if he keeps using the same mechanics.

you're right, he's a scorer. and he didn't even try to "score" today. i don't remember him trying to get to the rim ONCE today. he only took 6 shots and i think the first was about the 12:00 mark.

Denver,
He's loving every minute of every OU struggle. I'll still never understand why he CONSTANTLY posts on this site and why nobody else has run him off yet.

It's really annoying. Makes me not want to come here. I just try to ignore it though.

Huh? Generally fans will talk about the struggles of a player when that guy is struggling. There are lots of threads about Willie right now and one of them is by me.

You act like im the only guy posting about Willie, and that is BS. Why would a thread about an OU player make you not want to come here?

I think I have even predicted a better conference record than you did. Should I have blasted you for that?

I posted facts about Willie, opened it up for discussion (asking the board if he is a bad shooter, in a slump, etc) and that was it. If I was posting opinion, lies, etc that would be one thing, but to come after me for posting facts is another.

As for never understanding why I post on this site... well, I dont know what to tell you there. I have been posting with these guys for about 5 years and was invited to help create this board. I was one of the original moderators and did my part to help get people from OUI over to this site. I was brought by invitation, and just because I am critical of a player does not mean I am not a fan.

If you have any more problems you should just PM me to avoid this kind of exchange.

Last edited:
Back