Willie Warren vs. Big 12 (shooting guards)

thebigabd

Reaction score
Man, look at the competition that Willie has to deal with night in and night out.... He is going to be playing against really good players at the guard spots pretty much every night.

The Big 12 is loaded at SG this year....

-Kansas: Tyshawn Taylor (averaged 10 a game as frosh) and Xavier Henry (#1 shooting guard in nation)...
-Oklahoma State: James Anderson (1st team all big 12) and Obi Muonelo (averaged 13 per game last year)
-Texas: Avery Bradley (MCDAA, possible one and done) and Varez Ward (really came on late last year)
-Texas A&M: Donald Sloan (More of a defender, but a veteran double digit scorer)
-Texas Tech: Nick Okorie (averaged 12.2 ppg first year at Tech) and David Tairu (athletic juco guard supposed to be very similar to Okorie, out of the same college too)
-Baylor: Lace Dunn (averaged 16 per game last year), Nolan Dennis (big time recruit at shooting guard)
-Kansas State: Jacob Pullen (averaged 14 per game last year) and Rodney Mcgruder (Reebok All-American, big recruit)
-Colorado: Cory Higgins (3rd team All big 12, averaged 17+ a game last year), Dwight Thorne (averaged 12 per game last year)
-Missouri: Kim English (big scorer should put up big numbers this year), Marcus Denmon (another freshman from last year who played big minutes)
-Iowa State: Lucca Staiger (great shooter at 6'5'', international player), Marquis Gilstrap (possible newcomer of the year in big 12)

Yeah, but at least half of the guys on that list play the three. Shoot Obi and James Anderson both played at the four last season. I don't think WW has it any worse than most...

Yeah, but at least half of the guys on that list play the three. Shoot Obi and James Anderson both played at the four last season. I don't think WW has it any worse than most...

There is no such thing as a "3" in college... In the NBA, yes, but not in college. In college you have point guards, post players, and perimeter players.

There is no such thing as a "3" in college... In the NBA, yes, but not in college. In college you have point guards, post players, and perimeter players.

I get what you're saying, but that isn't exactly accurate. Matchups are matchups, and Willie isn't going to be guarding guys like Obi and James Anderson. If you don't want to call them 3's then fine, call them big wings or swing players or whatever you like. My point is still the same...Willie doesn't play the same position out on the floor and won't be guarding them...

I get what you're saying, but that isn't exactly accurate. Matchups are matchups, and Willie isn't going to be guarding guys like Obi and James Anderson. If you don't want to call them 3's then fine, call them big wings or swing players or whatever you like. My point is still the same...Willie doesn't play the same position out on the floor and won't be guarding them...

Agreed.

He's better than everyone on those lists.

I agree. I think he and Brackins are the two best players in the league. I will give the nod to Brackins going into next year, but will not at all be surprised if Willie is the consenus number one player in the league by the end of next season. I think he is going to really explode next year.....:willie922_jpg_xs:

I agree. I think he and Brackins are the two best players in the league. I will give the nod to Brackins going into next year, but will not at all be surprised if Willie is the consenus number one player in the league by the end of next season. I think he is going to really explode next year.....:willie922_jpg_xs:

From a prospect standpoint he's better than Brackins who a little soft in my opinion.

From a prospect standpoint he's better than Brackins who a little soft in my opinion.

I agree. I was talking in terms of the better college player RIGHT NOW. Things will change if Willie takes over like I think he can/will.

t morris d summers d james all disagree with you

t morris d summers d james all disagree with you

Not a good comparison, because James ended up being moved back to the four. Dejuan Summers is also projected as a two guard in the NBA. Basketball is a funny game. A guy like Artest played the post in college, but is a two guard in the NBA. Rodney Rogers went from being a bigtime college banger, to a perimeter shooter in the NBA. I actually agree with the theory that their are no true small forwards in college basketball. both wings generally run interchangeable plays where as in the NBA, you'll see post iso plays for guys like Carmelo and Lebron. Even in yesterday's game you saw Luke Walton get iso plays in the post. Generally SFs can slash, spot up, or post up for plays. In college, the wings rarely post up due to lack of space. Obviously there are exceptions. I think Danny Green is a prototypical small forward. I think Obi Muenelo is a small forward due to the fact that OSU makes him play the four. I think the fact that the College game has so many tweeners and hybrid fours pretty much takes the place of that small forward positon. Any guy with those multiskills gets thrown out there at the four to create mismatches.

Back