Would this proposed NCAA Rule change be good or bad?

AdaSooner

Admin Emeritus
Reaction score
ESPN's Andy Katz is reporting the NCAA is considering a change to shorten the time frame underclassmen can declare for the draft from the current window of six weeks to only one. This measure has already been approved by the NCAA's legislative panel and will go into effect in 2010 if the NCAA board of directors passes it.

Would this rule change be good or bad for college programs and/or for players considering a jump to the NBA?

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4086305&name=katz_andy

Rule change would alter draft process

Tuesday, April 21, 2009 | Print Entry

The NCAA legislative panel voted Monday to shorten the time frame in which underclassmen who declare for the NBA draft must decide whether to stay in the draft or return to school.

If the NCAA board of directors endorses the legislative panel's decision to reduce the early entry decision window from six weeks to approximately one week, there won't be any reasonable way for underclassmen to test the draft process.

Players really should declare whether they're in the draft or out. The current proposal makes the process of "testing the waters" or "gathering more information" moot.

USA Today first reported the panel's decision, which would make underclassmen decide by May 8 whether they were staying in the draft. The current deadline is 10 days before the draft in mid-June. (The rule would go into effect for next year's draft class.)

This year, the early entry declaration deadline is Sunday, April 26. It likely would be in the same time period in 2010. NBA teams don't allow underclassmen to work out at their facilities until the official list from the league office comes out, and that usually doesn't occur until four or five days after the declaration deadline. That means players would have about one week to work out and gauge how high they could go in the draft. A problem with this time frame is that it comes during or near final exams for most semester schools. If players were considering returning to school, they would have to be on campus for exams and couldn't afford to miss study or class time to work out for various NBA teams across the country.

The ACC originally proposed shortening the time frame a player has to decide whether to declare for the draft to about 10 days after the Final Four. The problem with that proposal was the NBA controls the important dates regarding the draft per its collective bargaining agreement. The NCAA can't change those dates -- namely the decision to declare in late April and the withdrawal date 10 days before the draft. NBA spokesman Tim Frank said that new rule would have little effect and wouldn't change the NBA's timeline.

The NCAA is aware of the tight timeline with a May 8 deadline and the practical obstacles like exams and workout schedules that might prohibit more informed decisions.

The NCAA's Steve Mallonee said Tuesday that it was a compromise from the ACC's original legislative proposal of making the deadline soon after the Final Four. But Mallonee also said the NCAA is waiting for the new collective bargaining agreement in 2011. In advance, the NCAA is talking to the NBA and NBA Player's Association about uniform dates.

Mallonee said this new date allows schools some time to fill recruiting needs before the spring signing period ends, too.

If this new rule goes into effect, there won't be any chance for underclassmen to gather concrete information about their draft status. The NBA is transitioning into a new NFL-like combine in late May in Chicago with no five-on-five scrimmaging. The NBA is still working through the logistics, but the tentative plan is to have interviews with the top players followed by skill work and some 3-on-3 scrimmaging at Attack Athletics, well-known trainer Tim Grover's NBA-like facility on the West Side.

Elite underclassman prospects who currently remain on the fence are expected to participate in the workouts May 28 and 29. But under this new rule in 2010, they wouldn't be weighing the decision of staying in the draft or returning to school. They would have to already be in or out.

I think that would be horrible for the student athletes.

It's really bad for the players. You're going to have a lot of kids making bad decisions to leave early, and they won't have the option of going back to school after getting reliable feedback from NBA teams. I think they'll just be that much more likely to make their decisions based on what agents are feeding them. The NCAA obviously cares about institutions far more than student-athletes.

I had a feeling the majority of fans here would see this rule change the way I do. There is no way this can be good for the student athlete. I can see kids leaving college to enter the NBA draft on bad advice, only to find themselves without an education and on the outside looking in of a professional career of any kind. I had to shake my head in disgust when I read Katz's article. Maybe the board of directors will get their heads out of their arse in time to kill this rule.

It's really bad for the players. You're going to have a lot of kids making bad decisions to leave early, and they won't have the option of going back to school after getting reliable feedback from NBA teams. I think they'll just be that much more likely to make their decisions based on what agents are feeding them. The NCAA obviously cares about institutions far more than student-athletes.

This.

Pretty pathetic if the NCAA passes this... I would hope that some coaches speak up in the student-athlete's defense before this gets approved. You know coach Capel would be opposed to it.

ridiculous. why do they keep screwing with the kids like this?

Back