WW's comments in today's Daily Oklahoman

annapolissooner

Reaction score
I was surprised that I didn't see a topic on this...Did you all see the article where WW said he doesn't care about what the fans think of his attitude because he doesn't play for the fans...

I was very surprised at these comments, and it also irritated me a little...I feel that Willie has every right to say those things, and even to believe them, but if he has any desire to play in the NBA he needs to realize that the fans essentially pay his salary...He has to play for the fans...

I'm surprised that they haven't been "coached" on PR 101 by the staff or administration...

So what do you all think?

I think Willie knows what's what. High level athletes understand that fans are irrational and know little about the game. When they play good the fans will love them and when they don't fans will criticize them. Fan treatment is much easier on a mediocre player who hustles than an elite player who has a couple bad games.

I like what Capel said the best, calling out the ridiculous criticism Willie has endured: "He’s a Sooner, so if you’re a fan of OU, you should like him,” Capel said. "He’s one of ours.”

Stupid comment. Coach should shut this down.

I like what Capel said the best, calling out the ridiculous criticism Willie has endured: "He’s a Sooner, so if you’re a fan of OU, you should like him,” Capel said. "He’s one of ours.”

There's a little more to it than that. WW has to do his part as well.

Last edited:
Cheno,

I tend to agree with that thought because this appears to be just another distraction for both WW and the team...How can he ever be expected to be a leader, or professional, with comments like that?

Can't blame the kid for getting a little defensive.

I didn't like the article.

Gutter,

That is also a good point...He is still a college basketball player...That's exactly what I meant about this article...It pulls at you from multiple angles...

You don't play for the fans, you play for your school.

I was surprised that I didn't see a topic on this...Did you all see the article where WW said he doesn't care about what the fans think of his attitude because he doesn't play for the fans...

I was very surprised at these comments, and it also irritated me a little...I feel that Willie has every right to say those things, and even to believe them, but if he has any desire to play in the NBA he needs to realize that the fans essentially pay his salary...He has to play for the fans...

I'm surprised that they haven't been "coached" on PR 101 by the staff or administration...

So what do you all think?

I hope that they have been too busy being coached on how to play basketball.

Here are the actual quotes from the article:

"I don’t really play for the fans, so it’s really hard to say how they view me as a player,” he said. "I’m just out here trying to help my team.”

"If I was out here just worried about who liked me and what not, then we’d probably be 7-20,” Warren said. "It’s not about the fans, it’s about making those strides to get this team where they need to be.”

My conclusion: He's trying to win a basketball game and can't worry about the fans not liking his chest thumping, etc.

I didn't think the comment is so bad. He's not saying he dislikes the fans or doesn't appreciate them. He's just not playing to the fans.

Draw your own conclusion.

Isn't it amazing how a direct quote negates so much poster foam. Thanks BruinSooner.

I think Willie knows what's what. High level athletes understand that fans are irrational and know little about the game. When they play good the fans will love them and when they don't fans will criticize them. Fan treatment is much easier on a mediocre player who hustles than an elite player who has a couple bad games.

You answered your own question Boca! Of course fans are going to applaud a "mediocre player who hustles". The fans are going to applaud anyone who hustles like Cade Davis! When WW hustles the fans applaud as well, and he has had more than a couple of bad games.

I haven't seen anyone on this board that doesn't like WW, they don't like his play and lack of effort and hustle and until the last few games he hasn't shown, in fact until the last few games he hasn't even shown he wanted to play for his team! WW should play for the team, which is the school, and which is the fans!

Back