Bad hire

I mean, OU has never really hired an experienced, big-league guy, other than Lon.

Kelvin - Montana State and WSU
Capel - Never been a HC.
Lon - Mentioned above.
Moser - Small school HC.

I'm fine going a similar route, but they need to get it right this time. Missed badly on two of the last three hires.

Fair enough!

Capel had been the head coach at VCU and was successful there.

I mean, OU has never really hired an experienced, big-league guy, other than Lon.

Kelvin - Montana State and WSU
Capel - Never been a HC.
Lon - Mentioned above.
Moser - Small school HC.

I'm fine going a similar route, but they need to get it right this time. Missed badly on two of the last three hires.

Chris Beard is available….and at a discount.

We need a coach that knows how to win and build a program. Moser has had one good tourney run in over 10 years and many losing seasons. He’s not the guy.

Billy Tubbs, Sampson, and Lon Are the only guys that fit that profile that we’ve had in the last 40 years. The rest have failed. We need someone that can win big at a football school with little basketball support.

Chris beard will never get a look from OU and he shouldn’t. He’s a degenerate piece of crap.

Last edited:
Man, if PM leaves, who worth a dang would want to touch OU? There would be another mass exodus and we'd have to start over from scratch AGAIN. But, could it be much worse than what's going on now? Who knows. The lack in execution and effort in the last few B12 games would def explain things. I kind of had this same feeling about the football team last season, when we were barely winning, but still winning. There was a weird vibe. And I can't help but feel that way now. Something feels like the kids are already over this season mentally, which sucks for the seniors. I hate that this has not worked out with Porter, but maybe it's for the best. You'd think if he's worth anything, his second season would be better not worse :(

Man, if PM leaves, who worth a dang would want to touch OU? There would be another mass exodus

I don't think it's a given that there would be a mass exodus. It would depend upon who was hired and how soon.

Man, if PM leaves, who worth a dang would want to touch OU? There would be another mass exodus and we'd have to start over from scratch AGAIN. But, could it be much worse than what's going on now? Who knows. The lack in execution and effort in the last few B12 games would def explain things. I kind of had this same feeling about the football team last season, when we were barely winning, but still winning. There was a weird vibe. And I can't help but feel that way now. Something feels like the kids are already over this season mentally, which sucks for the seniors. I hate that this has not worked out with Porter, but maybe it's for the best. You'd think if he's worth anything, his second season would be better not worse :(

Plenty of guys would want the job. Kelvin and Lon (and even to a lesser extent Capel, who I can't stand as a coach) all showed you can not only win big at OU, but you can turn things around quickly. We missed the tourney 3 of Billy's last 4 years, but Kelvin got us in the dance right away. Capel inherited a tough situation because we lost players and recruits when Kelvin left, but (thanks largely to Blake), we were in the tourney in year two. Lon inherited the biggest mess of all, and we were in the tourney (and ranked) by the end of year two. Moser walked into arguably an easier situation than all of them. He has failed, but that doesn't mean a coach couldn't come in and turn things around quickly.

The other thing to remember is that it's not like OU is alone in having to fill holes. For every team with several guys who have played together in a program for three or more years, there are several that turn over a big chunk of the roster each season.

We have slipped, no doubt, but we are still a desirable job for a lot of coaches.

I don't think it's a given that there would be a mass exodus. It would depend upon who was hired and how soon.

Nor is it a given that OU couldn't attract a talented coach.

Speaking of mass exodus after coaching changes… that’s happening all over the country with or without coaching changes. The portal and open transfer have changed the landscape forever.

I believe moser has failed and he should move on. For OU to get better, it will depend on hiring a great coach who can recruit his butt off.

If he decides to leave, one reason to negotiate the buyout down would be to have him leave sooner than April 1. We need to get a replacement fast and be able to have meaningful discussions with the team before portal decisions are made. That would be harder the later it gets.

If he decides to leave, one reason to negotiate the buyout down would be to have him leave sooner than April 1. We need to get a replacement fast and be able to have meaningful discussions with the team before portal decisions are made. That would be harder the later it gets.

True. Same goes for ND though, would think they'd want their coach sooner than later. I wouldn't let them buy it down too much, maybe knock 25-33% off, tops.

Joe c is not an idiot so don’t expect him to reduce the buyout.

Perhaps a two-for-one in football is in order. Two games in Norman, one in South Bend. Or, a one-shot deal in Norman.

That's one way to cover a $6 million buyout.

I welcome the coaching change and a mass exodus. Would love for Uzan and Sherfield to stay, other than that, not super attached to anyone.

Normally I say you play hardball. But I think a real evaluation of the program is in order. If we keep losing games the way we have been you’re really looking at a potential three-year window for this tenure. That means you’re paying a buyout when you might be able to receive one.

Now I hope my negativity here is wrong, that we turn it around this year, and Moser leads a long, successful career with OU.

Perhaps a two-for-one in football is in order. Two games in Norman, one in South Bend. Or, a one-shot deal in Norman.

That's one way to cover a $6 million buyout.

I would propose one game at ND, one in Norman, and a neutral site game in Houston for recruiting. Win-win-win.

Back