Bad hire

Hearing it may be a done deal from a big 12 staff member.

That makes for an uncomfortable ending to the season. Coaches with their foot out the door, players with an eye on the transfer portal, all in the toughest league in America.

Ouch.

Oh man, that is awesome.

My list:

Quannas White (Houston)
Leon Rice (Boise State)

You're crazy man. Also no juco coaches?? Kidding, i think..

Rice has the made the tourney 3 times and never won a game. He went to school at Washington state. Does he have ANY oklahoma/texas connections or to the region?? I will pass. He has a decent win % at least, unlike PM.

Im suprised you're not pimping out Pat Kelsey from college of Charleston, honestly

Nope on Quannas. I don't like nepotismish/incestuous hires, esp with NO track record at all as a head coach. This would be a Boyton-esque hire. 2 thumbs down.

McCasland is the leader for me RN

That makes for an uncomfortable ending to the season. Coaches with their foot out the door, players with an eye on the transfer portal, all in the toughest league in America.

Ouch.

Yep. I just hope Joe C has in turn contacted whoever is hopefully has lined up so he can start getting ideas on how to rebuild this mess.

This would be a new low for ou hoops to lose a big time coach to a lesser program historically. It will set the program back so much further.

This would be a new low for ou hoops to lose a big time coach to a lesser program historically. It will set the program back so much further.

I'd say the low is getting blown out of our own building by OSU and then following it up by not bothering to show up at WV. Would be great if we can get out of this without having to fire and pay him a lot of money. If we get the same end result but are collecting millions, and if he can go someplace where he is happy rather than getting canned, I would say that is a win-win.

Its impossible for me to disagree harder with this take.

First, "big time coach"? Sampson probably wasnt even considered a "big time coach" when Indiana took him and he has 10x the body of work that PM has. I don't think PM has that reputation. And even if he did, its RAPIDLY dissipating as we speak.

He has regional ties there in addition to being catholic, no one nationally will blink twice about this hire and/or think that is speaks to the quality of the OU job

I'm excited for this possibility personally

Rice has the made the tourney 3 times and never won a game. He went to school at Washington state. Does he have ANY oklahoma/texas connections or to the region?? I will pass. He has a decent win % at least, unlike PM.

Im suprised you're not pimping out Pat Kelsey from college of Charleston, honestly

Nope on Quannas. I don't like nepotismish/incestuous hires, esp with NO track record at all as a head coach. This would be a Boyton-esque hire. 2 thumbs down.

Thats the big problem with Rice, is that all his connections are in the pacific northwest.... but man the guy is a winner at a terrible program.

The winningest coach in Boise State men’s basketball history, Leon Rice has guided the Broncos to seven postseason appearances and nine 20-win seasons in his 12 years at the helm.

Boise State set program bests for total wins (27), conference wins (15) and consecutive wins (14) on its way to winning the Mountain West regular-season title outright and capturing the Mountain West Tournament crown - both firsts for the program. Rice was named the Mountain West Coach of the Year for his efforts, his second time claiming the award.

During college basketball’s most recent decade (2010-11 through 2019-20), Boise State was one of 33 Division I schools nationwide to amass eight 20-win seasons and one of only 17 to do so with the same head coach leading the way:

Arizona (Sean Miller)
Baylor (Scott Drew)
Boise State (Leon Rice)
Creighton (Greg McDermott)
Duke (Mike Krzyzewski)
Florida State (Leonard Hamilton)
Gonzaga (Mark Few)
Iona (Tim Cluess)
Kansas (Bill Self)
Kentucky (John Calipari)
Michigan State (Tom Izzo)
North Carolina (Roy Williams)
Oregon (Dana Altman)
Saint Mary’s (Randy Bennett)
Villanova (Jay Wright)
Virginia (Tony Bennett)
Wichita State (Gregg Marshall)

Boise State has won at least 11 Mountain West games in seven of the last eight seasons. In the 11 years Boise State has been a member of the league, only the Broncos and San Diego State have seven seasons with at least 11 conference wins. Boise State has won at least 12 conference games in five of the last eight seasons, tied with the Aztecs for the most 12-win campaigns during that span of any Mountain West school.

Sampson came from Montana Tech and Washington State before coming to OU.... Meaning his coaching experience was pacific northwest and it wasn't like he had tons of NCAA Tournament experience.

Hearing it may be a done deal from a big 12 staff member.

Wow. To say that I'm surprised would be an understatement.

But the more we think about it, the more it makes sense. From the team's performance the last few weeks (outside of Bama) to PM being closer to home to getting to play in an easier league, I can't refute the logic.

Just for laughs, the first phone call I would make is to Jay Wright. Would likely never happen, but he is by far the best available out there. Offer to pay him whatever he wants....LOL.:D I'm not as up to speed on "up and coming" coaches, so I will defer to those on this board who are a little more in the know. I'm familiar with McCasland and I guess I would be ok, but can we do better?

Jerome Tang has no track record of being a head coach either. Neither did Juwan Howard. Neither did many others.

While i love kelvin, i want nothing to do with kellen. That would be the riskiest/incestuous thing OU could do and seems really silly to me IMO.

Also not interested in Paul Mills. Not enough body of work.

Give me McCasland out of these 3 all day

I hope notre dame strokes us a check and takes PM

This makes me think someone from Baylor or with Texas ties floated this rumor. I heard from a guy close to Mcasland that he’s waiting on OUbor OSU to pop. West Virginia as well…..

This makes me think someone from Baylor or with Texas ties floated this rumor. I heard from a guy close to Mcasland that he’s waiting on OUbor OSU to pop. West Virginia as well…..

Good. I hope hes hungry

Jerome Tang has no track record of being a head coach either. Neither did Juwan Howard. Neither did many others.

There is no cookie cutter approach. We can all point to coaches with various backgrounds who did/didn't succeed. Quannas would be an extreme outlier as someone who not only hasn't been a head coach, but also hasn't been a lead assistant.

If Moser were to leave after 2 seasons he would, effectively, be like any player in the portal, with this coming from someone who is known as being a dedicated, family type man.....you've heard the story.

Jay is done, doesn't want to deal with NIL.

Wow. To say that I'm surprised would be an understatement.

But the more we think about it, the more it makes sense. From the team's performance the last few weeks (outside of Bama) to PM being closer to home to getting to play in an easier league, I can't refute the logic.

Just for laughs, the first phone call I would make is to Jay Wright. Would likely never happen, but he is by far the best available out there. Offer to pay him whatever he wants....LOL.:D I'm not as up to speed on "up and coming" coaches, so I will defer to those on this board who are a little more in the know. I'm familiar with McCasland and I guess I would be ok, but can we do better?

Back