Bad hire

Billy Tubbs gets a bad rap for the end of his time here. He had his legs cut out from under him by our own university. They forced all his players to get real majors and not general studies. The Juco's and some of athlete's couldn't handle the academic load and couldn't stay eligible, and he had a harder time recruiting from that well.

I did not understand it at the time, but the reality is that Billy Tubbs simply "burned out" at OU. Yes, the academic standard changes were certainly a factor...but what he accomplished at OU from '83 - '90 was unrealistic to continue...we lost two home games during those 7 years. I remember being very disappointed that he would leave OU for a job about two steps down the ladder at that time...but over the past 30 years, I've certainly come to better understand the burnout factor.

As for Coach Moser, I just can't see Notre Dame ponying up $9 million to lure him to South Bend. While I'm sure he is frustrated with the way things are going in Norman, he took the job knowing that we have a crappy arena, a substandard fan base, AND five consecutive head coaches who have taken OU to the Sweet 16 or beyond. That means he has the resources to win here. In Jeff Capel's last season at OU, the men's basketball budget was the 5th highest in the country. The right coach CAN WIN HERE.

I did not understand it at the time, but the reality is that Billy Tubbs simply "burned out" at OU. Yes, the academic standard changes were certainly a factor...but what he accomplished at OU from '83 - '90 was unrealistic to continue...we lost two home games during those 7 years. I remember being very disappointed that he would leave OU for a job about two steps down the ladder at that time...but over the past 30 years, I've certainly come to better understand the burnout factor.

As for Coach Moser, I just can't see Notre Dame ponying up $9 million to lure him to South Bend. While I'm sure he is frustrated with the way things are going in Norman, he took the job knowing that we have a crappy arena, a substandard fan base, AND five consecutive head coaches who have taken OU to the Sweet 16 or beyond. That means he has the resources to win here. In Jeff Capel's last season at OU, the men's basketball budget was the 5th highest in the country. The right coach CAN WIN HERE.

I just don't know if this is true in today's college basketball climate. You now have NIL and unlimited transfers to deal with.

Mehhh. Not a fan of hitting people bc "ou guy".

Nobody wants them bc they are OU guys. We are interested in them bc they’ve spent their careers watching a damn good coach.

Hollis isn’t an option. He hasn’t been a full time assistant very long. White prob not ready for an OU-caliber job either. Kellen I’d love to take a shot on, but I think he and Kelvin are happy at UH.

If people just wanted an OU guy you hear other names. Heck, Hump is on the staff and Najera has been a HC already.

Nobody wants them bc they are OU guys. We are interested in them bc they’ve spent their careers watching a damn good coach.

Hollis isn’t an option. He hasn’t been a full time assistant very long. White prob not ready for an OU-caliber job either. Kellen I’d love to take a shot on, but I think he and Kelvin are happy at UH.

If people just wanted an OU guy you hear other names. Heck, Hump is on the staff and Najera has been a HC already.

Stacey King! Just kidding, kind of

And here I thought this was a basketball board.

It is indeed a basketball board.

I took the topic down a rabbit trail by bringing up the idea of a football series with ND as part of the buyout for Porter.

If it's true that ND wants him, and wants to pay for him, he's gone. He's a better fit there.

if they were not OU guys no one on this board would want them

a 3rd ast a #2 ast and a young #1 ast that works for his father ....

no one would want one of them for the OU head coaching job ..

I’d go ask Terry Stotts if he wants back in Norman and hire some lynchpin recruiters around him

I’d go ask Terry Stotts if he wants back in Norman and hire some lynchpin recruiters around him

He’s 65, but he’s a darn good coach. He’d have to be surrounded by elite recruiters. Maybe at his age, he’d like to return to college and give it one more shot. I’d be interested but recruiting would be my main concern since he hasn’t had to deal with recruiting ever.

Jay wright isn’t doing anything. Doubt he’d be interested but worth a phone call.

We know PM isn't a terrible coach. However this season he has put out a terrible product. Not retaining talent for 2 years and not bringing in athletes that can play in the Big 12 have been the undoing. For a while we had the highest FG % on 2 point shots which tells me he knows something about running an offense.

That being said, his 2nd team is worse than the first no question. We won't make any post season not even the conference tourney. I am having doubts he can turn it around.

I wouldn't be sad to see ND hire him away. But that leaves the next coach in a really bad lurch. The team could have our very few talented guys portal away, meaning we would be starting off so bad. And if the new coach can't bring in top talent in his first year and get out of the Big 12 cellar, that could snowball and continue to set the rebuild back indefinitely.

If ND pays the buyout, I hope Joe C can poach a coach and that coach's whole team.

Last edited:
We know PM isn't a terrible coach. However this season he has put out a terrible product. Not retaining talent for 2 years and not bringing in athletes that can play in the Big 12 have been the undoing. For a while we had the highest FG % on 2 point shots which tells me he knows something about running an offense.

That being said, his 2nd team is worse than the first no question. We won't make any post season not even the conference tourney. I am having doubts he can turn it around.

I wouldn't be said to see ND hire him away. But that leaves the next coach in a really bad lurch. The team could have our very few talented guys portal away, meaning we would be starting off so bad. And if the new coach can't bring in top talent in his first year and get out of the Big 12 cellar, that could snowball and continue to set the rebuild back indefinitely.

If ND pays the buyout, I hope Joe C can poach a coach and that coach's whole team.

I don’t know, I’m leaning towards terrible coach. We don’t do anything well. Not one thing.

I don’t know, I’m leaning towards terrible coach. We don’t do anything well. Not one thing.

His record in games decided by fewer than 10 points is enough data to tell me he’s not a big 12 quality coach.

Why on earth would any school want to hire Moser after his pitiful 2 years at OU. If I was a fan of a school who lured him from OU I would be after the scalp of the AD of that school. That clown would be putting his own job at great risk.

The inability to run proper offensive sets and take care of the ball is just maddening to me. Fine you want to play with a deliberate tempo ? Play smart, run your sets and protect the ball. The last 2 years OU has consistently lost the turnover battle which just speaks to poor coaching. Today was just laughable how sloppy OU played.

Dude sucks at everything. Except signing hs kids but then he destroys them anyway after he gets them.

Back