Bad hire

I'll wait till we see something actually happen. I would be all for it happening before the season if it's already decided anyway and having him step down before losing all the games like we probably will anyway.

I would propose one game at ND, one in Norman, and a neutral site game in Houston for recruiting. Win-win-win.

That's not out of the realm of possibility. ND loves neutral-site games. They've also already played in Arlington and San Antonio, so Houston would make sense as another stop. As long as the finances benefit OU to cover the buyout, it would be fine with me.

That's not out of the realm of possibility. ND loves neutral-site games. They've also already played in Arlington and San Antonio, so Houston would make sense as another stop. As long as the finances benefit OU to cover the buyout, it would be fine with me.

Makes no sense for OU to schedule tough non-conf football games once they go to the SEC

Plenty of guys would want the job. Kelvin and Lon (and even to a lesser extent Capel, who I can't stand as a coach) all showed you can not only win big at OU, but you can turn things around quickly. We missed the tourney 3 of Billy's last 4 years, but Kelvin got us in the dance right away. Capel inherited a tough situation because we lost players and recruits when Kelvin left, but (thanks largely to Blake), we were in the tourney in year two. Lon inherited the biggest mess of all, and we were in the tourney (and ranked) by the end of year two. Moser walked into arguably an easier situation than all of them. He has failed, but that doesn't mean a coach couldn't come in and turn things around quickly.

The other thing to remember is that it's not like OU is alone in having to fill holes. For every team with several guys who have played together in a program for three or more years, there are several that turn over a big chunk of the roster each season.

We have slipped, no doubt, but we are still a desirable job for a lot of coaches.
Billy Tubbs gets a bad rap for the end of his time here. He had his legs cut out from under him by our own university. They forced all his players to get real majors and not general studies. The Juco's and some of athlete's couldn't handle the academic load and couldn't stay eligible, and he had a harder time recruiting from that well.

Joe c is not an idiot so don’t expect him to reduce the buyout.

He is a nice guy though and likely wouldn't hold on to Moser through April as a lame duck coach for cash. I think he would negotiate down.

He is a nice guy though and likely wouldn't hold on to Moser through April as a lame duck coach for cash. I think he would negotiate down.

Joe c is a sharp in terms of finance. He wouldnt give up a cent.

OU is paying $50M to leave the Big 12 one year early, ND better pay every cent of the buyout.

On a side note, I'm sure OU is going to take an advance on their SEC TV money to pay some of the buyout, but love how Joe C was able to get $50M secured to leave the Big 12 early but can't get any money for some LNC renovations.

Last edited:
OU is paying $50M to leave the Big 12 one year early, ND better pay every cent of the buyout.

On a side note, I'm sure OU is going to take an advance on their SEC TV money to pay some of the buyout, but love how Joe C was able to get $50M secured to leave the Big 12 early but can't get any money for some LNC renovations.

It was supposed to be $100 million each from OU/tx. It was negotiated to $50 million each and its future distribution revenue, so OU doesn’t have to come up with anything. We will make that up and then some over the next 10 years.

This is great news.

This is great news.

Great news for hoops, perhaps (though personally I wish we'd never agreed to this move), but in football, I'd much rather we'd waited at least another year. If we must go, I'd rather we were a fully loaded veteran team before we make the move.

It was supposed to be $100 million each from OU/tx. It was negotiated to $50 million each and its future distribution revenue, so OU doesn’t have to come up with anything. We will make that up and then some over the next 10 years.

This is great news.

💯 this is a huge win for the program!

This is great news.

It was never supposed to be $100M each. The Big 12 bylaws say it's 2 years of distributions, regardless of when we/they/you leave. That would have put it at about $84M/team, and almost always that has been negotiated down to about 60%, which is where the $50M comes from. It was always going to be about $50M.

It was never supposed to be $100M each. The Big 12 bylaws say it's 2 years of distributions, regardless of when we/they/you leave. That would have put it at about $84M/team, and almost always that has been negotiated down to about 60%, which is where the $50M comes from. It was always going to be about $50M.

And if you go a step further, it's really not even costing OU that much.

Let's assume we'd have gotten about $42M in 2024 from the Big 12.
Let's also assume we'll get about $85M from the SEC in 2024.

For 2024:
So if we stayed in the Big 12 we'd collect $42M and pay $0 (+$42M).
But we're now leaving early for the SEC so we're going to collect $85M and pay $50M (+$35M).

So by leaving early, we're only costing ourselves $7M if those numbers are close to correct.
I've been trying to explain this concept for months, that the true cost of leaving early was never going to be the entire buyout.

Makes no sense for OU to schedule tough non-conf football games once they go to the SEC

I'd just hit the recruiting territory and make games easy for fans.

Game 1: UTEP
Game 2: North Texas
Game 3: Rice
Game 4: SMU

i disagree those games are for the fans/donors and with the 12 team playoff losses will not hurt as much in the future .. but an OOC win will help a bunch

OU will continue to schedule marquee non con games

Back