Bad hire

I would want someone in the Tommy Lloyd or Jerome Tang model. Someone who has been a long term assistant at a program that has had continued success over the past 10 years.
  • These types of coaches have formed connections and recruited the best players out of high school (also helps if those players enter the transfer portal).
  • They've coached deep into the tourney and understand that type of X's and O's grind.
  • They've developed talent that has made the NBA

Someone like McCasland definitely fits this model, but not sure who else. I don't think Kellen is leaving Houston for OU. He's head coach in waiting there and that program has 10x more support than OU from admin/boosters. Kelvin is also 67 too, doubt he's waiting more than 5 years.

Man, I'm not overly high on McCasland either. Probably a better fit than PM, but still not a great fit IMO. And if you think we play slow now, NT is 63 spots slower according to Ken Pom.

Joe C. tends to go conservative after failed hires, but I'd like to see us keep chasing a high upside candidate. McCasland is not that. He is Lon Kruger without the Final 4. Definitely no on the ORU coach. That would be even worse. I'd love to take a shot on Kellen, but he has a good thing going, and his HC in waiting. I really don't see him leaving UH, and I'm not sure Joe C. wants to hire a Sampson after forcing Kelvin out the door years ago.

I don't have a great answer, but I really don't want to settle for somebody with what I'd consider a limited upside.

If Moser were to leave after 2 seasons he would, effectively, be like any player in the portal, with this coming from someone who is known as being a dedicated, family type man.....you've heard the story.

Not going to hold it against him.

First, ND is probably his dream job. Nothing wrong with that.
Second, with the start he's had at OU, he is probably on a VERY hot seat.

It makes sense. I'll be more upset with him for being a bad coach than for leaving OU after 2 seasons.

Man, I'm not overly high on McCasland either. Probably a better fit than PM, but still not a great fit IMO. And if you think we play slow now, NT is 63 spots slower according to Ken Pom.

Joe C. tends to go conservative after failed hires, but I'd like to see us keep chasing a high upside candidate. McCasland is not that. He is Lon Kruger without the Final 4. Definitely no on the ORU coach. That would be even worse. I'd love to take a shot on Kellen, but he has a good thing going, and his HC in waiting. I really don't see him leaving UH, and I'm not sure Joe C. wants to hire a Sampson after forcing Kelvin out the door years ago.

I don't have a great answer, but I really don't want to settle for somebody with what I'd consider a limited upside.

I have asked this question a million times and no one has ever tried answering it. How did Joe "force" Kelvin out? Did he manufacture an opening at a near-blue blood and say hey, Kelvin, I really think you should take this job? Kelvin left because an opening came up at a basketball school with a rich tradition and a passionate fan base. That is not being forced out.

I have asked this question a million times and no one has ever tried answering it. How did Joe "force" Kelvin out? Did he manufacture an opening at a near-blue blood and say hey, Kelvin, I really think you should take this job? Kelvin left because an opening came up at a basketball school with a rich tradition and a passionate fan base. That is not being forced out.

he was not "forced out" but no one in OU administration was sad that he left .. and there was 0% chance Blake was coming to OU to play for Kelvin Sampson

Another reason why Kellen is a longshot, Zac Selmon (his HS best friend) is now the AD at Mississippi State

he was not "forced out" but no one in OU administration was sad that he left .. and there was 0% chance Blake was coming to OU to play for Kelvin Sampson

That seems like a reasonable take. Much more reasonable than Joe actively trying to force him out.

I have an outside-the-box name. How about Bryce Drew?

Only reason I remember that name is from when a mediocre Lon team pushed his Vandy team's stuff in by like 40 pts. Could have been a bad day, yes. But maybe we should shoot higher?

there was 0% chance Blake was coming to OU to play for Kelvin Sampson

I've seen many state this and I'm not saying it's not true, but I've never seen evidence presented to support it. Just the statement.

And as much as I loved watching Blake at OU, Sampson had a very good class--top 10, if I recall correctly--lined up that fell apart when he left, so we may have done just as well if he'd stayed, even without Blake.

He was told to take the IU job, when before, he was leaning towards staying. That is fact. Joe C. and OU thought the sanctions on OU would be less if Kelvin wasn't around. And he/they were right, as our sanctions were a gentle slap on the wrist as far as impact to the program.

Only reason I remember that name is from when a mediocre Lon team pushed his Vandy team's stuff in by like 40 pts. Could have been a bad day, yes. But maybe we should shoot higher?

Probably, I was just spit-balling

This account seems to be more reliable than not on coaching dirt. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the case, especially after Jeff Goodman's leak a couple of weeks ago.

https://twitter.com/CoachingChanges/status/1622978496313102338?s=20&t=mzrlTTmusbq10HA0b8JKUA

I can't post the screenshot, but the tweet reads:

"We are told Porter Moser is doing everything he can to get the Notre Dame job and that ND is equally interested.

This seems likely to occur and if so expect Grant McCasland and Paul Mills to get well earned long looks by OU.

Kellen Sampson could be very involved, too"

If I am Joe C and I find out my head coach is actively campaigning for another job I would show him the door, don’t care what the buyout is.

Wow, I'm surprised. Why would ND want him? He's failing at OU. I guess their expectations are just lower?

But, we better not get too excited here.

I have no idea as far as who could replace him. But I don't think it should be another mid major coach. I think we should shoot for the moon here. Can't have another bad hire.

Bad fit for Moser and OU. Hope something can be negotiated to let him go to ND because it’s clear something is broken in the program right now.

Wow, I'm surprised. Why would ND want him? He's failing at OU. I guess their expectations are just lower?

But, we better not get too excited here.

I have no idea as far as who could replace him. But I don't think it should be another mid major coach. I think we should shoot for the moon here. Can't have another bad hire.

I mean, OU has never really hired an experienced, big-league guy, other than Lon.

Kelvin - Montana State and WSU
Capel - Never been a HC.
Lon - Mentioned above.
Moser - Small school HC.

I'm fine going a similar route, but they need to get it right this time. Missed badly on two of the last three hires.

Bad fit for Moser and OU. Hope something can be negotiated to let him go to ND because it’s clear something is broken in the program right now.

I agree, and I think the bad "fit," is that Moser can't coach at the Big 12 level. I think it has more to do with him than the program.

Right now he's faced with two options. Change up his system and recruiting to match the Big 12, or leave the Big 12 for an easier schedule. I do believe the program is in a state that just about any skilled coach can recruit enough talent to make the tournament. I think that's all most OU fans want right now. So, if he's really seeking the ND job I think it's because he realizes he can't get it done in the Big 12 more than "I'm not getting enough support from the program."

Back