Bad hire

Krutwig has played professionally in Belgium, the Philippines, and Japan. So, it's not like we're saying he only does well with elite talent. If your premise is true, then I guess the question is what was it about Krutwig that unlocked Moser's success?

Krutwig was one of the main reasons for PM's success at Loyola (he was a tremendous passer and had great floor vision). But the main component of why Loyola was good under Moser is that they were ELITE defensively (i.e. #2 in Kenpom Adjusted Defensive Efficiency in 2021).

His mistake was thinking Tanner was going to be Cameron Krutwig. Krutwig wasn't overly athletic, but had a high basketball IQ, understood positioning, was a good passer and didn't shoot 3's.

Is he? I don't know yet. I'm pleased with Uzan, but he seems to have hit a bit of a wall. Five points or fewer in four of his past five games. Oweh is showing some signs. But neither is a Freshman of the Year candidate or anything. I'm looking forward to seeing our two freshmen next season, but like Oweh and Uzan, neither of them should be counted on out of the gate. So at the rate of two solid players a year, what are we on--a four-year rebuild?

That doesn't really fly nowadays. Moser has been largely a failure in terms of portal transfers and keeping talent on campus (I'm crossing my fingers we don't see any kind of exodus in the upcoming offseason), and from where I sit, those factors have to be considered under the broader category of recruiting.

When Moser was first hired, I expressed concern about his style of play and whether he'd be able to make the leap from mid-major to a power conference. Nothing he's done so far has eased my concerns, and these non-competitive losses are punches to the gut. There is no reason this team should be this bad.
Yup

IDK yet. I still think its there when we get the pieces. Obviously ive taken a few days off from the board.

So many close games early that we lost, some to our own doing and some act of magic (phog)... It takes a toll. on us but think of the players...

We missed on some portals. Joe Bam missing hurt. Groves hit a wall

Man Im down right now and cant really get worse regardless of how this thing finishes.

This account seems to be more reliable than not on coaching dirt. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the case, especially after Jeff Goodman's leak a couple of weeks ago.

https://twitter.com/CoachingChanges/status/1622978496313102338?s=20&t=mzrlTTmusbq10HA0b8JKUA

I can't post the screenshot, but the tweet reads:

"We are told Porter Moser is doing everything he can to get the Notre Dame job and that ND is equally interested.

This seems likely to occur and if so expect Grant McCasland and Paul Mills to get well earned long looks by OU.

Kellen Sampson could be very involved, too"

This account seems to be more reliable than not on coaching dirt. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the case, especially after Jeff Goodman's leak a couple of weeks ago.

https://twitter.com/CoachingChanges/status/1622978496313102338?s=20&t=mzrlTTmusbq10HA0b8JKUA

"We are told Porter Moser is doing everything he can to get the Notre Dame job and that ND is equally interested.

This seems likely to occur and if so expect Grant McCasland and Paul Mills to get well earned long looks by OU.

While i love kelvin, i want nothing to do with kellen. That would be the riskiest/incestuous thing OU could do and seems really silly to me IMO.

Also not interested in Paul Mills. Not enough body of work.

Give me McCasland out of these 3 all day

I hope notre dame strokes us a check and takes PM

Last edited:

If this is true I'd love McCasland. Mills is a complete tool.

While i love kelvin, i want nothing to do with kellen. That would be the riskiest/incestuous thing OU could do and seems really silly to me IMO.

Agree with you 100%.... no interest in Kellen, and I hope ND takes Porter and the program can reboot again.

Also not interested in Paul Mills. Not enough body of work.

Give me McCasland out of these 3 all day

All three would be an upgrade.

I know Kellen is "coach in waiting" at U of H. But, apparently, he has gotten the signal to look around. I've seen his name connected with the Georgia Tech job. His dad isn't ready to retire any time soon. And these "coach in waiting" things are a mixed bag. Norman and OU are home for Kellen. But, I believe this is a case where you can't go home again. This is a situation where both parties need to pursue success in another direction.

Paul Mills has had success at ORU. He recruited Max Abmas, and was later able to keep him at ORU. From my view, the more important thing is that he helped Scott Drew build Baylor from the ruins of scandal. He would be fine.

But I agree that Grant McCasland is the best of these choices. We should have grabbed him two years ago from North Texas. He may still be a bit hurt that he was passed over then. But, OU is still an upgrade from North Texas, and the job looks slightly different now that we know we're headed to the SEC.

I wouldn't be surprised if Joe C. is negotiating the buyout with Porter's agent and his next employer. Notre Dame isn't paying $9 million before April 1, nor are they paying $6 million after that date.

All three would be an upgrade.

I know Kellen is "coach in waiting" at U of H. But, apparently, he has gotten the signal to look around. I've seen his name connected with the Georgia Tech job. His dad isn't ready to retire any time soon. And these "coach in waiting" things are a mixed bag. Norman and OU are home for Kellen. But, I believe this is a case where you can't go home again. This is a situation where both parties need to pursue success in another direction.

Paul Mills has had success at ORU. He recruited Max Abmas, and was later able to keep him at ORU. From my view, the more important thing is that he helped Scott Drew build Baylor from the ruins of scandal. He would be fine.

But I agree that Grant McCasland is the best of these choices. We should have grabbed him two years ago from North Texas. He may still be a bit hurt that he was passed over then. But, OU is still an upgrade from North Texas, and the job looks slightly different now that we know we're headed to the SEC.

I wouldn't be surprised if Joe C. is negotiating the buyout with Porter's agent and his next employer. Notre Dame isn't paying $9 million before April 1, nor are they paying $6 million after that date.

Fine.. $4.5 million, last and final :D

If Porter does leave, OU better collect the full buyout. You'll definitely need it for the next head coach unless you're hiring a current assistant coach.

For example, Grant McCasland's buyout is 40% of the remaining months on his contract of his base salary. His base salary is $600,000 and his deal is through the 2027-2028 season. That's a lot of money.

https://dentonrc.com/sports/college...cle_156bf630-9c6c-51df-8bff-89a1c7a094b2.html

If Porter does leave, OU better collect the full buyout. You'll definitely need it for the next head coach unless you're hiring a current assistant coach.

For example, Grant McCasland's buyout is 40% of the remaining months on his contract of his base salary. His base salary is $600,000 and his deal is through the 2027-2028 season. That's a lot of money.

https://dentonrc.com/sports/college...cle_156bf630-9c6c-51df-8bff-89a1c7a094b2.html

That's a tiny amount of money. For 5 seasons that's $1.2 million.

Hearing it may be a done deal from a big 12 staff member.

BTW, if this is true, it could explain the fashion we played the last 2 games. Not that we lost but in the manner that we lost

Back