2009-10 Preview: Virginia Commonwealth

Henzo

Reaction score
The 2009-10 Sooners will get their first big challenge when they hit the road in late November to take on Virginia Commonwealth. The Rams have plenty of talent on their roster along with the motivation to pull an upset against a likely ranked Oklahoma squad led by VCU’s former head coach, Jeff Capel. In a series of previews, OUHoops.com takes a look at the top opponents the Sooners are set to face in the 2009-10 season. We begin with a road game early in the season against the Virginia Commonwealth Rams.

Link: 2009-10 Preview: @ VCU

Great preview Henzo! Sanders is going to be a beast in the paint and their guards will be a little better than advertised.

Should be a great game..

Thanks Zo. You better believe that the VCU fans will be out for blood that night as well. It won't be as easy of a game as some will want to think. Sanders will be a load. He might be the best shot blocker in all of college hoops next year.

The 2009-10 Sooners will get their first big challenge when they hit the road in late November to take on Virginia Commonwealth. The Rams have plenty of talent on their roster along with the motivation to pull an upset against a likely ranked Oklahoma squad led by VCU’s former head coach, Jeff Capel. In a series of previews, OUHoops.com takes a look at the top opponents the Sooners are set to face in the 2009-10 season. We begin with a road game early in the season against the Virginia Commonwealth Rams.

Link: 2009-10 Preview: @ VCU

I'm going to be there, I hope to get you guys some photos like I did last year, however this may be a game that I enjoy from the stands.

I'm going to be there, I hope to get you guys some photos like I did last year, however this may be a game that I enjoy from the stands.

John,

Glad to see you back bud. I apparently posted a message on the wrong VCU board. If you would be so kind, please pass this site link on to some of your fellow fans.

Also, I would love to get your take on the Rams and the new coach.

Thanks,

BT

John,

Glad to see you back bud. I apparently posted a message on the wrong VCU board. If you would be so kind, please pass this site link on to some of your fellow fans.

Also, I would love to get your take on the Rams and the new coach.

Thanks,

BT

I think this years team has a ton of potential, however it could take a while to click.

Our biggest question mark is at the PG position with the vacancy left by Eric Maynor. Joey Rodriguez has spent the last 2 seasons starting as the 2 guard and will return to his natural position at PG this year. At the 2 guard will likely be MAAC Rookie of the Year, Jay Gavin, a transfer from Marist who is supposed to be lights out from behind the arc. Gavin averaged 12 pts/game in his freshman season at Marist. My guess at our starting front court is:
PG - Joey Rodriguez - Jr - 5'10, 175 lb
SG - Jay Gavin - RS So - 6'2, 200 lbs
SF - Bradford Burgess - So - 6'5, 215 lbs (15 points, 7 boards vs OU last year).

Our front court will be solid and should see a quite a few more touches than it saw in previous years. You can expect to see the following guys starting in our front court:
PF - Kirill Pischalnikov - Sr - 6'8, 265 lb. (9 points, 5 boards and 1 block vs OU).
C - Larry Sanders - Jr - 6'11, 235 lb. (16 pts, 5 boards, 3 blocks in 29 minutes vs OU)

As far as Coach Smart goes, I have seen a fair bit of him and have been very impressed thus far. That being said, I haven't seen him in game situations yet.

Also, noticed that the preview referred to us as being in the Horizon league, we're in the Colonial :)

Feel free to stop by the VCU forums at vcuramnation.com

Last edited:
Great preview.

This year's VCU team is looking to pick up the pace even more than in the past couple of years. You should look for a lot of full court press and pressure all over the floor with a lot of back trapping out of our initial traps defensively. While I am concerned about our team against you guys on the offensive end I feel that defensively we can cause a lot of problems. You may want to look for Ed Nixon (our most athletic wing) to matchup with Willie Warren on the perimeter and you will see a lot of Kirill on Tiny with Larry looking for the weakside block.

I also would like to hear more about Oklahoma's team this year. Who are your post options other than tiny now that Patillo and Griffin are gone and will Warren play point among your other feelings about this year's team.

Thanks a lot it should be a good one in November.

Good luck. but not too much.

Great preview.

This year's VCU team is looking to pick up the pace even more than in the past couple of years. You should look for a lot of full court press and pressure all over the floor with a lot of back trapping out of our initial traps defensively. While I am concerned about our team against you guys on the offensive end I feel that defensively we can cause a lot of problems. You may want to look for Ed Nixon (our most athletic wing) to matchup with Willie Warren on the perimeter and you will see a lot of Kirill on Tiny with Larry looking for the weakside block.

I also would like to hear more about Oklahoma's team this year. Who are your post options other than tiny now that Patillo and Griffin are gone and will Warren play point among your other feelings about this year's team.

Thanks a lot it should be a good one in November.

Good luck. but not too much.

BSB,

Thanks for providing an update along with John.

I will give you a little breakdown on OU's 09-10 squad:

In the post, our team's biggest question mark coming into this year is rebounding. Anytime you lose the best rebounder in the country, along with two other very capable guys on the glass, then you worry about how you are going to replace that production. Both Ryan Wright and Orlando Allen have the potential to do well on the glass.

- Ryan is a UCLA transfer that played sparingly last year behind Juan and the Griffins. He is a guy that does a lot of great things on the practice court and in the classroom, but has not had the light come on in games yet. He is the favorite to start along side Tiny Gallon in the post next year as our center. He will probably be the guy that matches up against Sanders. I don't think OU is going to count much on Ryan to score, but mainly as a guy that can get rebounds and defend the post.

- Orlando Allen is a legit 6'11 JUCO with two years to play. He has worked hard to get into to shape, and also played sparingly last year. He actually beat Ryan out at one time during the season, but from several accounts, may be coming off the bench this year. He is probably our best shot blocking threat. He still needs a lot of work on the offensive end, and like Ryan, will be counted on for defense and rebounding. Our season may depend on whether or not Ryan, Lando, or Drew Fitzgerald can step up and be a dominant defender in the post and a solid rebounder.

-Drew Fitzgerald is a true frosh big from your neck of the woods. He is a kid that plays with a high motor and uses really good technique on the low blocks to score and rebound. There is little doubt in my mind that he will be a good rebounder in college, but the obvious question is whether or not he can do it as a true freshmen. Has worked hard this offseason to get into better shape. Most seem to think he will play early and often this year.

- Tiny Gallon. You guys probably know quite a bit about this guy from his Oak Hill press clippings, so I will spare you most of the details. What you may not know about Tiny is that he has gone from 365 this time last season - to 317 at the start of June - to being near 290 at last count. I find this really incredible and exciting. He will be our main scoring threat from the post. Two big questions loom regarding his play: 1. Can he stay out of foul trouble and play more than 28 minutes per game? 2. Can he rebound? You see, Tiny sometimes still thinks he is a guard....

- Other post options. Just to cover my bases, you may see Beau Gerber, a four year senior who earned a scholarship just this last year. You may also see true freshman, Kyle Hardrick, in the post. Both players are expected to only play sparingly this year.

As for your question regarding Willie and point guard minutes, yes, I do think you will see Willie at the point. Before the start of practice, it was thought that Willie might be THE GUY at point, and that Tommy Mason-Griffin would be eased into the role. However, TMG, has come out and really impressed (Coach Capel has raved about him so far), so it is more likely that you will see TMG and Willie starting together. Willie will get time as the only PG on the floor. He and Coach Capel both know that PG is his ticket to the NBA. The other good thing about TMG is that even though he is under 6 feet tall, he can have a shooting guard's mentality, so it doesn't hurt the team to have him out on the wing at times with Willie running the show.

Hope this was helpful....let me know if you have any other questions.

Boomer Sooner

BT

2. Can he rebound? You see, Tiny sometimes still thinks he is a guard....

Not the first time we've seen a Capel coached big man that has a bit of an identity crisis. If you ever speak to Jeff, ask him about Renardo "Slim" Dixon ;)

Back