2024-25 Schedule News

meh...we have gone round and round with this. but i'll die on the hill that our schedule was fine. By most accounts, our overall SOS was top 30-40. That coupled with 20 wins and winning 8 of 18 games in the toughest conference will get you in 9 years out of 10. Fluke deal. Hind sight is 20/20. A broken clock is right twice a day.

Not a lot of difference here
2024: not seeded. 20 total wins. Won 8 conference games. SOS 28
2021: 8 seed. 16 Total wins. Won 9 conference games. SOS 22
2019: 9 seed. 20 total wins. Won 7 conference games. SOS 15
2018: 10 seed. 18 total wins. 8 conference wins. SOS 13

Again, if the committee is consistent from year to year, it wouldn't be an issue. It is hard to know the right scheduling philosophy when the criteria is tweeked every year.
When playing in the toughest conference, I have no problem with a weak non conference (which I don't even think it was. Scheduled some really really bad teams but also some high quality teams that ended up not performing to norms)...especially considering the complete roster rebuild every year. YOu need easy games to get things ironed out

Again, if the committee is consistent from year to year, it wouldn't be an issue. It is hard to know the right scheduling philosophy when the criteria is tweeked every year.
When playing in the toughest conference, I have no problem with a weak non conference (which I don't even think it was. Scheduled some really really bad teams but also some high quality teams that ended up not performing to norms)...especially considering the complete roster rebuild every year. YOu need easy games to get things ironed out

2021 was the post-COVID year. 27 games. Could argue, out of 35 games, we get 7-8 more wins. So that is in the 23-24 win category. I personaly, would not include that in the example.

Just a little devil's advocate, even though WS and myself have had our disagreements plenty on SOS vs Non-con SOS.

It wouldn't hurt us to take those 300 lvl teams and schedule 100-150 level teams. It would be less guaranteed of a win, but based on our historical play, we win those like 90-95+% of the time. So would only help to bolster our overall SOS and play a tougher road leading into tough conference play.

All that to be said, after reviewing a lot of the numbers, we were on the outside looking in (last year) even though many of the bracketologists predicted us being in before the crazy finish that pushed us out. (based on stats and efficiency ratings) We just have to win more games. Finishing sub-500 in conference won't cut it. (and probably shouldn't cut it tbh)

In hindsight I agree with your schedule critique. If teams like Arkansas, USC, and Iowa, who all under performed, had better seasons, strength of schedule looks completely different. That is somewhat of the gamble OU has to take right now. Cannot over schedule tier 1 and 2 teams.
I disagree somewhat. Sure, it would have helped if those three teams had better seasons. But the bigger problem with our schedule is how bad the bottom 8 or so teams were.

I read an analysis of Wichita State's schedule this morning. They will likely have 6 games against Q1 and Q2 teams in their noncon, and that is without the benefit of playing in an event like the B4A or having built-in games like Michigan and Georgia Tech. So far, of the games that OU has direct control over, OSU is our only game that isn't Q4.

Certain things are tweaked occasionally, but it has been known for at least a decade with absolute certainty that playing too many games against Q4 teams is an absolute killer. That has not changed in a long time. You keep acting like scheduling is a mystery and no one knows how to do it, but there are dozens of coaches and schools that understand it. We were one of those schools until Moser arrived.

meh...we have gone round and round with this. but i'll die on the hill that our schedule was fine. By most accounts, our overall SOS was top 30-40. That coupled with 20 wins and winning 8 of 18 games in the toughest conference will get you in 9 years out of 10. Fluke deal. Hind sight is 20/20. A broken clock is right twice a day.
It is insane to me that you refuse to acknowledge the difference between overall SOS and noncon SOS. Our overall SOS is always going to be good (especially when we were in the Big 12) just by virtue of our conference. But our record against those teams was miserable.

By your logic, a Big 12 team could schedule 13 noncon games against the worst 13 teams in America and get 13 guaranteed wins. If that team then goes, say, 6-13 in league play with only a couple wins against tourney teams, I guess they should be a lock: WE WON 19 games!! WE PLAY IN THE BEST CONFERENCE IN AMERICA! OUR OVERALL SOS IS IN THE TOP 30!!!

Also, you apparently don't know what hindsight is. I will give you a hint: it does not apply when someone spends several weeks discussing/predicting something BEFORE it happens.

It is insane to me that you refuse to acknowledge the difference between overall SOS and noncon SOS. Our overall SOS is always going to be good (especially when we were in the Big 12) just by virtue of our conference. But our record against those teams was miserable.

By your logic, a Big 12 team could schedule 13 noncon games against the worst 13 teams in America and get 13 guaranteed wins. If that team then goes, say, 6-13 in league play with only a couple wins against tourney teams, I guess they should be a lock: WE WON 19 games!! WE PLAY IN THE BEST CONFERENCE IN AMERICA! OUR OVERALL SOS IS IN THE TOP 30!!!

Also, you apparently don't know what hindsight is. I will give you a hint: it does not apply when someone spends several weeks discussing/predicting something BEFORE it happens.
"By your logic"...stop using hyperbole. in your scenario, our overall SOS would not be even close to top 30.

I know the difference in overall SOS and non con SOS. I just don't think it should matter as much as it does. If a team plays a very tough conference schedule, they shouldn't have to have a tough non conf sched. And likewise if a team plays in a bad conference, they should bolster their non conference to make up for it.

"By your logic"...stop using hyperbole. in your scenario, our overall SOS would not be even close to top 30.

I know the difference in overall SOS and non con SOS. I just don't think it should matter as much as it does. If a team plays a very tough conference schedule, they shouldn't have to have a tough non conf sched. And likewise if a team plays in a bad conference, they should bolster their non conference to make up for it.
Should they have to actually, you know, win some of those games? Or is going 2-10 (which is what we did against tournament teams last year) ok?

Mike Shepherd set the template, and it should not be that hard to follow. He and Lon were masters at putting together a schedule.
And they are far from the only ones. Lots of smart coaches understand it. Hell, I understand it despite never having worked in college basketball. All this info is out there, and it is malpractice for Moser to keep doing this even after it directly cost us a tournament berth.

Should they have to actually, you know, win some of those games? Or is going 2-10 (which is what we did against tournament teams last year) ok?
We did win some of those games. We had 4 quad 1 wins. 5 quad 2 wins. All of our losses were quad 1.

And i'm not one for moral victories but we had several quad 1 losses that could have gone either way as well.

So you are correct that we didn't do great against actual tourney teams. But our resume was pretty impressive when looking at the quad analysis

i'm done getting into it. it's in the past and we have rehashed this over and over.

The season can't get here soon enough so we can start winning and certain people will stop posting

Keep on spouting that lie in the last sentence of your post.
To be fair, one poster definitely does this. Also I think PM should schedule a slightly tougher non-con, especially since moving to the SEC. But the schedule has been tough, just have to win a few more game, but that doesn't have much to do with scheduling. Playing in the Big12 you know every conference game is probably going to be Quad 1.

To be fair, one poster definitely does this. Also I think PM should schedule a slightly tougher non-con, especially since moving to the SEC. But the schedule has been tough, just have to win a few more game, but that doesn't have much to do with scheduling. Playing in the Big12 you know every conference game is probably going to be Quad 1.
Yea, I think one thing we can all agree on is that more wins = tournament team.

If OU wins one of those 10 (losses to tourney teams), they are in the tournament last year. At the end of the day, you have to win those games.

-Texas Tech
-Houston

Either of those have us dancing. "Just win baby." Can't keep skating by on "well we had a really tough SOS". Let's get out of the bubble, let's win games.

Also, to defend WS here, if we replace 3 of those 300+ teams with (2) 100-125 teams and a 150-200, there is a decent to good chance we get selected. Our SOS goes 47 to, who knows, 15-25? That is a pretty big difference, if we were the FIRST ONE OUT

Also, to defend WS here, if we replace 3 of those 300+ teams with (2) 100-125 teams and a 150-200, there is a decent to good chance we get selected. Our SOS goes 47 to, who knows, 15-25? That is a pretty big difference, if we were the FIRST ONE OUT
I think this has been WS’s point all along. It’s not that OU didn’t play enough good teams. It’s that the cupcakes were AWFUL.

I think this has been WS’s point all along. It’s not that OU didn’t play enough good teams. It’s that the cupcakes were AWFUL.
Exactly. I am not saying we should schedule several elite teams each season. We aren't Kansas or Duke or UCONN or Gonzaga. But the "bad" opponents need to be teams in the 100-175 range, with no more than a couple 250+ teams. That should still get you just as many wins, and if you do happen to lose to a team in the 150s, then the problem isn't scheduling, it's the fact that you simply aren't very good.

And if teams like Arkansas and usc ended year ranked as expected our sos would have been in the 30’s as well. There is a point to not as many lower teams, but our supposed to be good teams hurt last years sos as well.

Back