6'7'' 215 juco small forward claiming OU offer

I have nothing against recruiting jucos. I just don't want four or five on the team. This kid sounds like he has some game, but let's leave that to the big dog. I think his name is Coach Capel or something like that. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!

I would like to see Capel take a juco post/forward such as Olukemi and a juco point guard or combo guard to provide depth and a backup option at the point. I dont think OU is going to land a big time high school point guard with TMG on campus.

In fact, I would like to see Capel get on Kendall Durant out of Weatherford College in Texas. He already has offers from South Carolina, VCU, Colorado, Tulsa, Penn State, and Virginia Tech. He is a 6'3'' point guard that is a big time shooter. He averaged 15 points a game as a juco freshman and shot 42% from the 3pt line. He signed with Virginia Tech out of high school but didnt qualify. I heard he is Kevin Durants cousin so maybe OU would appeal to him with Kevin right up the road in OKC?

TJ Taylor
Kendall Durant (or another top juco point guard)
JP Olukemi
Cameron Clark
Doron Lamb
With that lineup we might as well hire :ford as our coach since Cam and JP would be our post players.

Also I don't really see the need of a juco point guard right now unless TMG doesn't meet expectations. I would rather take Rickey Scott as the other "PG" since TMG is already on campus. With TJ and Rickey you have two guys who can play some PG in sub/emergency role that can also contribute at the 2 spot more then a juco PG (exs Walker/Leary) and are top 100, 4 star quality players. It would seem hard to get a quality juco PG to come in knowing most likely there is a guy already more talented then him (TMG) on campus and is a class younger then him. If we were to go juco I think it would be to fill a more pressing need as in a big man or a swing player.

I don't mind a juco guy or two on the team but to bring up 2002 and compare it today in regards to Juco is just plain silly. That's like comparing cell phones of today to 2002 and making a case they are one in the same.

With that lineup we might as well hire :ford as our coach since Cam and JP would be our post players.

Also I don't really see the need of a juco point guard right now unless TMG doesn't meet expectations. I would rather take Rickey Scott as the other "PG" since TMG is already on campus. With TJ and Rickey you have two guys who can play some PG in sub/emergency role that can also contribute at the 2 spot more then a juco PG (exs Walker/Leary) and are top 100, 4 star quality players. It would seem hard to get a quality juco PG to come in knowing most likely there is a guy already more talented then him (TMG) on campus and is a class younger then him. If we were to go juco I think it would be to fill a more pressing need as in a big man or a swing player.

This.

Well said, sam. I agree.

With that lineup we might as well hire as our coach since Cam and JP would be our post players.

That was the 2010 recruiting class, not the starting lineup, lol... Geez.

The point is you have a lineup with no post players and some Juco pg that no one has heard of. It seems like OU gets your worst projected recruiting classes.

The point is you have a lineup with no post players and some Juco pg that no one has heard of. It seems like OU gets your worst projected recruiting classes.

I think we take two bigs. You have to got replace Ryan Wright and cover for the chance that Tiny may go pro.

That was the 2010 recruiting class, not the starting lineup, lol... Geez.
And if you combine that lineup you predicted with what we have coming back for the 2010-11 season we have this down low.
Orlando Allen
Drew Fitzgerald
Kyle Hadrick
Cam Clark (really a 3)?
JP Olukemi (really a 3)?

If Tiny comes back then maybe it wouldn't be so bad but as you pointed in your 9 players have played 2 years or less for Capel thread, he most likely won't be back so signing at least two true post players in this 2010 class is very important.

Again, to reiterate what ABD said, that is not the LINEUP.....that was the 2010 recruiting class.
Worst projected recruitng class? Jeez, there's two possible MCDAA's in that class.

And if you combine that lineup you predicted with what we have coming back for the 2010-11 season we have this down low.
Orlando Allen
Drew Fitzgerald
Kyle Hadrick
Cam Clark (really a 3)?
JP Olukemi (really a 3)?

If Tiny comes back then maybe it wouldn't be so bad but as you pointed in your 9 players have played 2 years or less for Capel thread, he most likely won't be back so signing at least two true post players in this 2010 class is very important.

Yeah, I think our 2010-2011 season's success depends greatly on whether Tiny Gallon comes back or not, no matter what this 2010 class looks like.

Again, to reiterate what ABD said, that is not the LINEUP.....that was the 2010 recruiting class.
Worst projected recruitng class? Jeez, there's two possible MCDAA's in that class.

This is a discussion between OU fans. And regardless, any class that doesn't net atleast two post players will be a failure. OU is going to have wholes in that department and a Juco utility players and juco PG aren't going to fill that hole.

I am always amazed when OU fans (of all people) dislike junior college recruits.. The same school that went to a final four and could have won a championship with 3 juco starters. The same school that owes a great deal of its success in the Big 12 to junior college talent.

Me too. Both final four teams had three juco starters. In 1988 Harvey Grant, Ricky Grace and Mookie Blaylock came from Jucos. The most recent team had Ere, Q, McGhee starting from Jucos plus Joseph Szesdrie, Jason Dietrik and I think Selvy were key contributors from Jucos.

OU has had so many juco players contribute over the years. Ricky Grace, Mookie Blaylock, Harvey Grant, Skeeter Henry, Wylie, Smokie McCovery, Greg Bell, Jackie Jones, Bryan Sallier, John Ontjes, Nate Erdmann, Corey Brewer, Ernnie Abercrombie, William Davis, Aarron McGhee, Nolan Johnson, Taj Gray, Michael Neal, Kelly Newton, Quannas White, Ebi Ere, Jason Deitrik, Darian Selvy, Bryant Vann, Tyrrell Everett and I am sure I am leaving some key players off this list. OU basketball has been built with Juco players.

You are not going to find players like that in the juco ranks anymore. Hell there are guys on that list that played for 10 years in the NBA!!

times have changed

People have been saying times have changed for many years yet we still see really good Juco players thorughout the Big XII. Everett and Gray were excellent players and they came form jucos.

I do agree that it is more common for kids to go to a year of prep school now when in the past (say 10-20 years ago) they almost always went to juco but the jucos still offer some nice talent.

People have been saying times have changed for many years yet we still see really good Juco players thorughout the Big XII. Everett and Gray were excellent players and they came form jucos.

I do agree that it is more common for kids to go to a year of prep school now when in the past (say 10-20 years ago) they almost always went to juco but the jucos still offer some nice talent.

The pool has shrank since the Taj/Relly years. It is just not what it used to be. That's why using 2002 as an example is bunk. I still think you can land quality kids that can contribute (and even start), but you are taking more of a risk than you used to have to to get them.

People said the pool shrank before OU found Taj Gray. There are still good juco players. Orlando Allen, Juan Pattillo and the other kid came from Juco's. Bobby Maze went to a juco and is now at Tennessee. There are talented kids in the jucos and there is absolutely nothing wrong with OU filling a specific need with a juco kid. With that said, I like the fact that Capel is concentrating more on high school talent. I just think it is odd that so many OU fans almost have a disdain for the jucos when that has been the back bone of the program for 20+ years.

This is a discussion between OU fans. And regardless, any class that doesn't net atleast two post players will be a failure.

That's both a childish and ridiculous post. That's even bad for you Dirty.

It's absolutely ridiculous to call a class of Ray McCallum, Cam Clark, Doron Lamb & Terrence Jones a failure. That would be 4 possible MCDAA's.

People said the pool shrank before OU found Taj Gray. There are still good juco players. Orlando Allen, Juan Pattillo and the other kid came from Juco's. Bobby Maze went to a juco and is now at Tennessee. There are talented kids in the jucos and there is absolutely nothing wrong with OU filling a specific need with a juco kid. With that said, I like the fact that Capel is concentrating more on high school talent. I just think it is odd that so many OU fans almost have a disdain for the jucos when that has been the back bone of the program for 20+ years.

The pool did shrink before Taj. It has been shrinking for awhile now. Its still shrinking as we speak. Yes, there are still good finds in there. Yes, OU will still try and get those guys. I don't see what's so wrong about admitting that it is getting more and more watered down.

That's both a childish and ridiculous post. That's even bad for you Dirty.

It's absolutely ridiculous to call a class of Ray McCallum, Cam Clark, Doron Lamb & Terrence Jones a failure. That would be 4 possible MCDAA's.

Who said we would get that class, jayhawk? That would be one of the top classes in the land. A class with some guy named Kendall durant and Olukemi with no post players wouldn't be. Are we going to go into 2010 with Orlando Allen and Andrew Fitzgerald as our only post players? That's why the original guy posted the omission. Us lowly OU fans are a little more astute than you would like to give them credit for being.

I respect your view point and you make a very good point in regards to Taj and even Terrell Everett. Infact, I felt Patillo was a very talented guy and by all acounts, the kid we're talking about now is as well. Infact, I would love to have this kid in this upcoming class along with Tiny and TMG. Now my stance on Jucos is not just because of the misses we had, but if you look at guys like Chris Alexander, Dominique Keller, Jamarcus Ellis, Dee Proby, Deandre Thomas, guys who were dominant on the Juco level, but pedestrian on the high Major level. Juco players seem to have more of an impact on the Mid Major level. Ebi, Aaron, Selvy,and Detrick may have been the last great juco class in college basketball.

Last edited:
Back