75,000 fans to watch Texas-UNC at Jerry World?

Sooner23

Reaction score
I'll be real surprised if they come close to 50k for that game. We'll see though. Should be interesting. If OU doesn't play that day, I'm thinking about going just to see the spectacle of it all.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon...tories/stories/080409dnspoutunc.a4f8ae7a.html

Texas could earn bonus if Longhorns basketball game draws 75,000

10:31 PM CDT on Monday, August 3, 2009

By GARY JACOBSON / The Dallas Morning News

Can the Longhorns' men's basketball game against reigning NCAA champ North Carolina on Dec. 19 at Cowboys Stadium draw 75,000 fans?

No one is making predictions yet, but the agreement for the game gives the Longhorns a $75,000 bonus if that mark is reached.

Tickets are priced at $30, $50, $75, $200, $250 and $500, a Texas basketball spokesman announced Monday. They go on sale to the public Saturday through Ticketmaster (www.ticketmaster.com).

The largest crowd ever to see a Longhorns' basketball game was 54,432, in the 2003 NCAA semifinals against Syracuse at the Superdome in New Orleans, according to the team's online media guide.

The largest crowd ever for a college basketball game was 78,129, in 2003 for a regular-season game between Kentucky and Michigan State at Ford Field in Detroit.

"I don't know what to expect," said Nick Voinis, the senior associate athletics director for communications at UT when asked about possible attendance.

Dallas sports promoter Barry Mendelson, who helped arrange the game, said he expects a "good crowd" because of UT's fan base in the Dallas-Fort Worth area and the caliber of the opponent.

"We wanted a game commensurate with the quality of facility, and that facility is the best in the world, as far as I'm concerned," Mendelson said.

UT and North Carolina are guaranteed $200,000 apiece for the game, according to a copy of the contract obtained by The Dallas Morning News through an open records request.

In addition, a side letter between Cowboys Stadium and UT promises a $25,000 bonus if more than 35,000 tickets are sold; another $25,000 if more than 50,000 tickets are sold; and another $25,000 if more than 75,000 tickets are sold.

Both teams receive 200 free tickets directly behind their benches, the contract states. And UT gets up to 40 free hotel rooms for up to two nights, according to the side letter.

Mavericks owner Mark Cuban has said he thinks the 2010 NBA All-Star Game at Cowboys Stadium – with tickets priced from $25 to $500 – can draw 100,000 or more.

anything over about 20,000, if you don't have very good seats...better off watching on TV for basketball IMO.

i've had nosebleeds at Pepsi Center a few times for the 2-3 Nuggets games i attend every year and it's just not even worth it to me. if i'm going to a big arena, i'll pay the money for the good seats and go less.

good thing the largest hd tv in the world will be above the court

Man, Texas knows how to schedule their non-conference.

I don't think there is any way that happens with the tickets at those prices. Now if Jerry World was in North Carolina....

Tickets are priced at $30, $50, $75, $200, $250 and $500

These prices are too high if you are trying to pull a pack the stands promotion.

I'd wipeout the 250 and 500 seats and replace the numbers with 10 and 15

i've had nosebleeds at Pepsi Center a few times for the 2-3 Nuggets games i attend every year and it's just not even worth it to me.

I saw the Nuggets play the Mavs at the Pepsi Center from the nosebleeds and I agree, not worth it. I would have rather stayed home and watched.

Will definitely be at this game (only because I have free tickets)...no way that many people show up.

Back