A Look at #1 Seed Virginia (30-3)

KS underperformed in the NCAA tournament while at OU. Nobody questions that. Outside of cell phone use, that was his biggest (only?) flaw.

Lon has been dreadful in NCAA tournaments, though. It just can't be argued otherwise. In 2007, he led UNLV to an upset win against Wisconsin (7 seed vs 2 seed). That's the only real upset he's ever had in the tourney. His 9 vs 8 win this year against Ole Miss is a 3-way tie for biggest upset, and we were actually slight favorites to win that game. His win against Oregon (2 seed vs 1 seed) was one of the other 2 upsets, and I wanna say we were favored in that game as well. Tack on his 2-8 record in Big XII tournaments, and this is clearly more than just bad luck. I will say that he's performed well in our pre-conference tournaments, though.

Since the Big12 started in 1997 OU has the 3rd highest win % in the ncaa tournament, WVU is barely ahead of them with a much smaller sample size since they joined in 2014. Lon’s record is higher than OU’s average as well.

OU was also 3rd in the Big8, and guess what? Lon’s record is better than their average as well.

Last edited:
Since the Big12 started in 1997 OU has the 3rd highest win % in the ncaa tournament, WVU is barely ahead of them with a much smaller sample size since they joined in 2014. Lon’s record is higher than OU’s average as well.

OU was also 3rd in the Big8, and guess what? Lon’s record is better than their average as well.

Yeah, I'm sure you can make him look decent if you only look at a fraction of his career, and only compare him to fraction of other NCAA teams. That's cherry-picking, though, and even then you're only making indirect arguments.
This is his 19th NCAA tournament, and he only has one genuine upset unless he knocks off UVA tonight. Do you genuinely believe that Lon has been a good post-season tournament coach?

Yeah, I'm sure you can make him look decent if you only look at a fraction of his career, and only compare him to fraction of other NCAA teams. That's cherry-picking, though, and even then you're only making indirect arguments.
This is his 19th NCAA tournament, and he only has one genuine upset unless he knocks off UVA tonight. Do you genuinely believe that Lon has been a good post-season tournament coach?

I only care about him at OU. And how is comparing him to the whole Big8 & Big12 cherry picking?

I didn’t make him look decent, he has.

Based on him at OU I think he’s a good tournament coach.

I only care about him at OU. And how is comparing him to the whole Big8 & Big12 cherry picking?

I didn’t make him look decent, he has.

Based on him at OU I think he’s a good tournament coach.

You used a tiny sample size when a much bigger one was available to you. That's why it's cherry picking. And I don't really care if the rest of the conference has been poor. The NCAA tournament has nothing to do with the Big XII. If you want to talk about how he has performed in the Big XII, we can do that -- he's 2-8 while at OU. I'm willing to bet that's the worst of any team during his time here.

Definitely not the start we wanted. UVA is superior to ole miss. Glad LK didn’t wait for 10 more points before taking the timeout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This game is pretty ugly already.

This team lost two games to Duke and one to FSU. They good. If they show up, there isn't much of anything we can do to keep it close except be unconscious from 3, which is tough given their D.

Just hoping we can keep it close enough that the team keeps playing hard.

Not sure how JB thought he would thread that pass

Just being out-talented

The good news is they aren’t great on offense

After starting down 7-0, I will take being down 1 after the first media timeout.

Really good response in the last 3 minutes. All we can ask is to keep fighting.

I hated that switch from Manek when the shot clock was going down.

Great job getting back into it. Gonna be a tough game for us to score points.

Great job by our guys responding! Reynolds is actually doing a good job on defense.

The good news is they aren’t great on offense

Top 10 in the country in efficiency. They just play at a slower pace. That means the margin for error is decreased if they don't play a good game at that end (ie, shoot it well).

Back