Best guard in OU's history

BigTime

The Red Wig
Reaction score
Who would you select as the greatest guard ever to lace 'em up at OU? The post position seems to have more names pop out at me, so I am interested to know who people select. Please state the reason why you selected the guy that you did.

:boomer

At the end of this year it will be Willie Warren.

I have to go with Hollis Price right now, even though Mookie had a better pro career and set the college steals record.

I will choose Hollis becuase he was the #1 option on his team while Stacy King was the #1 option on Mookies team.

Can't go wrong with either though.

Like Sam said, it will be WW. Why? Mostly b/c he is my favorite guard at the moment.... that is all.

I agree that by the end of this year it will be Willie Warren. He was overlooked last year with Blake dominating in the paint, but we have never had a guard with the all-around scoring ability that Willie Warren has.

Think about it. He can bomb threes at a high rate. He can drive with either hand. He has great ball-handling and is capable of playing the point. He can shoot the pull up or get all the way to the rim and he finishes strong with contact at the rim. On top of that he can rise up and dunk on just about anybody. He gets steals and runs the break but he is also very strong in the half court. He is a good passer and a very capable defender.

The guy basically has no weaknesses. The only thing he lacked last year was experience.

I agree that by the end of this year it will be Willie Warren. He was overlooked last year with Blake dominating in the paint, but we have never had a guard with the all-around scoring ability that Willie Warren has.

Think about it. He can bomb threes at a high rate. He can drive with either hand. He has great ball-handling and is capable of playing the point. He can shoot the pull up or get all the way to the rim and he finishes strong with contact at the rim. On top of that he can rise up and dunk on just about anybody. He gets steals and runs the break but he is also very strong in the half court. He is a good passer and a very capable defender.

The guy basically has no weaknesses. The only thing he lacked last year was experience.

This is also a reason why I chose WW. haha Thanks capelfan for being on the same wavelength!

I am going with Willie Warren.. that makes this season special.

I don't think Willie is in the conversation, yet. If he has a great season this year he will be right there with Mookie, however.

His weakness might be defense but I think he has a lot of potential to improve this upcoming season. He has the athletic ability to be a very good defender at the college level now it is just up to his effort on that end of the floor. Even though technique is important on defense attitude is the most important thing in my opinion. You got to want it to play defense and if the various reports on WW's attitude are true then I expect Willie to be a very good defender for the team this year.
If he can play with a more even kill like Blake did this past year, I still want him to be expressive because that is who Willie is but if he shows more of Blake's of maturity then the sky is the limit for what Willie will do this season.

When you think about it, most of the great players we've had at OU were post players or big men.

Wayman Tisdale
Stacy King
Alvin Adams
Blake Griffin
Harvey Grant
Ace McGhee
Eduardo Najera

The first two gaurds that come to mind are Mookie and Hollis. Warren's back to back 30 point games vs Arkansas/Rice as a freshman were probably as impressive as anything Hollis did his junior/senior years.

Warren still needs to have a great year this year to pass Mookie though. Mookie was a better defender and ended up the 12th pick in the NBA draft and had a solid NBA career. But Warren has more ability on the offensive end than Mookie or any guard from OU that I can remember.

Willie will be in the conversation depending on how he does this year, he has yet to show that he can run the point. There was a write up from the Lebron James Skills Academy a week or so ago (going off recollection) which named Willie as the best offensive player, but noted when he gets in the lane the instances where he kicked it out to the open shooter were few.

It will be interesting to see how his game develops this year playing more at the point.

I have to go with Hollis Price right now, even though Mookie had a better pro career and set the college steals record.

I will choose Hollis becuase he was the #1 option on his team while Stacy King was the #1 option on Mookies team.

Can't go wrong with either though.

Hollis was a very good college player, but not on the same level as Mookie.

Mookie was good on offense, but he was an elite player on defense. He was probably the greatest defensive player in OU history.

Mookie and it's not even close. Guy dominated the game on both ends of the floor and was in complete control.

When you think about it, most of the great players we've had at OU were post players or big men.

Wayman Tisdale
Stacy King
Alvin Adams
Blake Griffin
Harvey Grant
Ace McGhee
Eduardo Najera

The first two gaurds that come to mind are Mookie and Hollis. Warren's back to back 30 point games vs Arkansas/Rice as a freshman were probably as impressive as anything Hollis did his junior/senior years.

Warren still needs to have a great year this year to pass Mookie though. Mookie was a better defender and ended up the 12th pick in the NBA draft and had a solid NBA career. But Warren has more ability on the offensive end than Mookie or any guard from OU that I can remember.

I find that interesting as well. Who were some of the elite guards from the pre-tubbs era?

Back