Big 12 dominating the Pac 10

seniorsooner

Reaction score
Thus far the Big 12 is 8-2 in the "Big 12/Pac 10 Hardwood Series". The only teams to lose are Iowa State and Colorado. OSU and A&M are yet to play.

Nebraska over Oregon State
Tx Tech over Washington
Kansas State over Washington St
Kansas over UCLA
Texas over USC
Baylor over Arizona St
OU over Zona
Cal over Iowa St
Missouri over Oregon
Oregon St over Colorado

Games left:
OSU at Stanford
A&M at Washington

A good year for the Big 12 and a down year for the Pac 10. The TTech/Washington game was suprising. I'm curious to see how many entries to the big dance the Pac 10 pulls this year.

I could see the Big 12 getting as many as 7 and the Pac10 as little as 2.

Big 12
1. KU
2. UT
3. A&M
4. OSU
5. KSU
6. OU
7. ISU/MU/Tech/BU?

Pac 10
1. Washington
2. California
?

I could see the Big 12 getting as many as 7 and the Pac10 as little as 2.

Big 12
1. KU
2. UT
3. A&M
4. OSU
5. KSU
6. OU
7. ISU/MU/Tech/BU?

Pac 10
1. Washington
2. California
?

I could agree with that. I can't believe how bad UCLA has gotten; wouldn't suprise me to see a coaching change there.

There will be more than 2 get in from the PAC 10. Once conference play starts, somebody has to win those games. Just 2 teams from a "major" conference getting in would be unprecedented.

There will be more than 2 get in from the PAC 10. Once conference play starts, somebody has to win those games. Just 2 teams from a "major" conference getting in would be unprecedented.

Who do see in the tourney from the Pac 10? I can see Washington, Cal, ASU, and Wazzu. Don't know about the rest; other than UCLA the rest are hovering at or below .500 right now. I think Zona will get better, but I don't think they'll get there quickly enough to make the tourney this year.

I think Washington State has a strong chance of getting in. Had they not blown a 16 point 2nd half lead at Gonzaga, they would really be sitting pretty right now. I think they have a chance to really clean up come conference play.

I agree. Their D is pretty good. Outside of the KState loss, they haven't allowed more than 70 this season. They've lost to the two best teams they've played, but then again, the Pac 10 isn't as strong this year. I think ASU will make some noise as well; their D has been stellar at times this season; they are 7-3 currently and should make that 10-3 by the time conference play starts.

Washington is the only Pac-10 team ranked this week and they barely made it in there.

How could UCLA fire Ben Howland? That would be one of the dumber moves ever in collegiate athletics.

Washington is the only Pac-10 team ranked this week and they barely made it in there.

How could UCLA fire Ben Howland? That would be one of the dumber moves ever in collegiate athletics.

UCLA is hard to figure this year. They lose by 2 to #10 Butler, and 12 to #1 Kansas, but get blown out by Pepperdine, Portland, and Mississippi St. Is it just a matter of the 'one and done' player approach coming back to bite them this year? I was basing my 'coaching change' statement on the expectations of the UCLA fanbase. It wouldn't be the smart move by any stretch, but I've seen programs make stupid coaching decisions before when the natives get restless.

I was basing my 'coaching change' statement on the expectations of the UCLA fanbase. It wouldn't be the smart move by any stretch, but I've seen programs make stupid coaching decisions before when the natives get restless.

A coaching change just isn't going to happen at UCLA. Their fan based was obviously spoiled during the Wooden years to the point which they were making dumb decisions. They pushed out Larry Brown after taking them to the title game in only two years there. However, that was a long time ago, and they've gotten more realistic (1 title in 34 years will lower those expectations). Howland has taken them to three Final Fours in a short period of time. He can coach, recruit...and he's not going anywhere.

A coaching change just isn't going to happen at UCLA. Their fan based was obviously spoiled during the Wooden years to the point which they were making dumb decisions. They pushed out Larry Brown after taking them to the title game in only two years there. However, that was a long time ago, and they've gotten more realistic (1 title in 34 years will lower those expectations). Howland has taken them to three Final Fours in a short period of time. He can coach, recruit...and he's not going anywhere.

Good point. However, doesn't it feel odd to have UCLA at 2-6? :p I'm used to them being a top 10 team, though I can't say that I didn't wonder about this season after watching Nova, I think it was, put a beat down on them in the tourney last year.

Thus far the Big 12 is 8-2 in the "Big 12/Pac 10 Hardwood Series". The only teams to lose are Iowa State and Colorado. OSU and A&M are yet to play.

Nebraska over Oregon State
Tx Tech over Washington
Kansas State over Washington St
Kansas over UCLA
Texas over USC
Baylor over Arizona St
OU over Zona
Cal over Iowa St
Missouri over Oregon
Oregon St over Colorado

Games left:
OSU at Stanford
A&M at Washington

There was also a Nebraska @ USC game and the Huskers won 51-48.

That would make the tally Big XII nine wins versus two for the Pac 10. Will the aggies continue the conference dominance?

Yes but that USC-Nebraska game wasn't part of the "official" challenge so I didn't list it. But still you are correct that's just another win to add to the tally of big 12 ownage of the PAC 10 this year.

A major conference getting only two bids would be uncommon but not altogether unprecedented. You just have to look at the SEC last year, which would have only gotten two bids if Miss St hadn't won the conference tourney and stole an automatic qualifier. So if the other 8 teams are that all around mediocre/suck then I don’t think the selection committee has a problem only giving the Pac 10 two bids, but I see at least one other team getting enough wins in conference to get in.

P.S. First post. Glad to be here. Boomer Sooner

Good post bruiser, and welcome. You are very right about the sec last year. I had forgotten about that.

On Tuesday the last "official" Big 12/Pac 10 Hardwood Series game will be played between aTm @ Washington. Interestingly two other unofficial series match-ups between these conferences happen on the same day with KU hosting Cal and Stanford visiting Tech.

The Big 12 could easily be 11-3 and possibly 12-2 versus the Pac 10. This all makes me laugh even more at that clown AZ fan who kept yelling "Pac Ten Baby!"

On Tuesday the last "official" Big 12/Pac 10 Hardwood Series game will be played between aTm @ Washington. Interestingly two other unofficial series match-ups between these conferences happen on the same day with KU hosting Cal and Stanford visiting Tech.

The Big 12 could easily be 11-3 and possibly 12-2 versus the Pac 10. This all makes me laugh even more at that clown AZ fan who kept yelling "Pac Ten Baby!"

12-4 or 13-3 i believe. nu beat osu and cu lost to ua in other non hardwood series matchups.

Back