Coaching Carousel Thread

That has to be a punch to the gut for Nova fans.

We get 2 should be first ballot hall of famers retiring the same year in Coach K and Wright.

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status/1516949493064900611[/TWEET]

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/VUCoachJWright/status/1516949304224751616[/TWEET]

‘Nova will still be good thanks in major part to what Jay Wright accomplished there, but one has to expect a pretty big step back nonetheless.

With Coach K and Wright gone, the number of head coaches Kelvin Sampson would look up to is diminishing fast. Self, Cal, Izzo and Boeheim are the cream of the crop. Few, Bennett, Drew and Kelvin are next.

‘Nova will still be good thanks in major part to what Jay Wright accomplished there, but one has to expect a pretty big step back nonetheless.

With Coach K and Wright gone, the number of head coaches Kelvin Sampson would look up to is diminishing fast. Self, Cal, Izzo and Boeheim are the cream of the crop. Few, Bennett, Drew and Kelvin are next.

Before today, I would have had Wright and maybe Self and Izzo in Kelvin’s class. He is definitely ahead of Cal and Boheim IMHO. If every coach in America had the same roster, I think I’d bet on Kelvin to come out on top more often than not.

Before today, I would have had Wright and maybe Self and Izzo in Kelvin’s class. He is definitely ahead of Cal and Boheim IMHO. If every coach in America had the same roster, I think I’d bet on Kelvin to come out on top more often than not.

Present day, you may be correct - but overall body of work? Unfortunately, I have to count the 2003 Elite Eight game in Albany since I was there and watched us not be able to figure out that zone defense of Syracuse (couldn't make it to 50 points). And no one, I mean no one, has done less with more than Cal...but I'm not putting any guy who has both won and played in multiple title games behind anyone who hasn't been there yet. But YES, give Kelvin a stacked roster and I'm not sure any present-day coach would be better equipped to bring home the title now that Jay Wright has retired.

Sampson is not ahead of Cal or Boeheim. They have Titles he does not. Seriously?

Present day, you may be correct - but overall body of work? Unfortunately, I have to count the 2003 Elite Eight game in Albany since I was there and watched us not be able to figure out that zone defense of Syracuse (couldn't make it to 50 points). And no one, I mean no one, has done less with more than Cal...but I'm not putting any guy who has both won and played in multiple title games behind anyone who hasn't been there yet. But YES, give Kelvin a stacked roster and I'm not sure any present-day coach would be better equipped to bring home the title now that Jay Wright has retired.

That's all hearsay and hypotheticals. We have to go by what we know when arguing who's better coaching wise. Could argue Sampson isn't top 5 right now.

Sampson is not ahead of Cal or Boeheim. They have Titles he does not. Seriously?

I guess you know more than most coaches and analysts because I can assure you if there was a poll taken of D1 coaches and analysts, Kelvin would rank ahead of them if the question is who the best coaches are currently.

I would take 100 coaches before Boeheim. Not saying 100 have a better resume, I just can't stand the guy at all.

Jay Wright may see himself as a premier tv analyst, less stress, less work, good money. After this pandemic lots of people have different priorities.

Last edited:
Jay Wright may see himself as a premier tv analyst, less stress, less work, good money. After this pandemic lots of people have different priorities.

Agreed. Doesn't he usually do that after Villanova gets knocked out?

I guess you know more than most coaches and analysts because I can assure you if there was a poll taken of D1 coaches and analysts, Kelvin would rank ahead of them if the question is who the best coaches are currently.

So hypothetical? Got it.

I would take the guys that have won titles over the guys that have not. Sure Jimmy B is old and isn't what he used to be. But all time? Yeah. I'm taking Jimmy B over him with a quickness.

In extremely sad news: Boston College assistant, Chris Cheeks, passed away today.

Back