Coaching Carousel Thread

Present day, you may be correct - but overall body of work? Unfortunately, I have to count the 2003 Elite Eight game in Albany since I was there and watched us not be able to figure out that zone defense of Syracuse (couldn't make it to 50 points). And no one, I mean no one, has done less with more than Cal...but I'm not putting any guy who has both won and played in multiple title games behind anyone who hasn't been there yet. But YES, give Kelvin a stacked roster and I'm not sure any present-day coach would be better equipped to bring home the title now that Jay Wright has retired.

Have you forgotten that Hollis Price was playing on one leg in that game?

I would take 100 coaches before Boeheim. Not saying 100 have a better resume, I just can't stand the guy at all.

Of the active coaches, no more than 3 have a better resume. He has been to 5 Final Fours, won about a thousand games, and has 57 NCAA Tournament wins. When u use objective (as opposed to subjective) criteria to determine a current head coach’s hierarchy, the top 4 are easy choices. The only debate is the order.

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status/1517185427110866947[/TWEET]

Of the active coaches, no more than 3 have a better resume. He has been to 5 Final Fours, won about a thousand games, and has 57 NCAA Tournament wins. When u use objective (as opposed to subjective) criteria to determine a current head coach’s hierarchy, the top 4 are easy choices. The only debate is the order.

Again I'm not talking about resumes or best coaches, I'm just stating I can't stand the guy. He's probably my least favorite current college bball coach other than Ben Howland.

Both of them have flatly denied this. Who is coming up with hypotheticals now?

https://247sports.com/Article/North...421/?msclkid=43d71ecec19811ecac23f3cf42b43371

Boeheim literally stated Walker Keesler leaving was the main reason Roy retired. He didn't like the idea of recruiting a guy for years, and for him to just up and leave. I live in the Triangle, I think I would know.

And lastly, it's been reported (by Jeff Goodman) that Wright hated the idea of working all the time and never having a day off because of the Portal and having to go into the Portal to build his team. But yeah man, those hypotheticals, right?

I'm sure K has loved the idea of the Portal too. Just like all these other older Coaches love the Portal. Right? Oh no. That doesn't make sense. My fault.

https://247sports.com/Article/North...421/?msclkid=43d71ecec19811ecac23f3cf42b43371

Boeheim literally stated Walker Keesler leaving was the main reason Roy retired. He didn't like the idea of recruiting a guy for years, and for him to just up and leave. I live in the Triangle, I think I would know.

And lastly, it's been reported (by Jeff Goodman) that Wright hated the idea of working all the time and never having a day off because of the Portal and having to go into the Portal to build his team. But yeah man, those hypotheticals, right?

I'm sure K has loved the idea of the Portal too. Just like all these other older Coaches love the Portal. Right? Oh no. That doesn't make sense. My fault.

And Roy himself has said the portal and NIL didn't factor in and that he retired because he didn't feel like he was doing a good job anymore. But I should know better than to argue with you -- of course you know all when it comes to anything that happens in the triangle. Apparently just living there puts you in the inner circle. Although it apparently doesn't help you handicap the Heels chances of beating Kansas.

And Roy himself has said the portal and NIL didn't factor in and that he retired because he didn't feel like he was doing a good job anymore. But I should know better than to argue with you -- of course you know all when it comes to anything that happens in the triangle. Apparently just living there puts you in the inner circle. Although it apparently doesn't help you handicap the Heels chances of beating Kansas.

You think Roy would tell the truth on something like that, which could hinder recruiting for UNC when it's already been subpar from his earlier performances in the mid 2000's? Yeah, I think not. And I know some people that have told me that he retired because he didn't want to deal with this mess.

UNC was up 15 at Halftime. Spare me. Most of you guys were talking yourself into thinking Kansas could blow UNC out. Which funny enough, was close to the opposite.

Personally, if you put truth serum into most coaches, they would probably despise the portal and NIL. I don't think most would admit it openly though. And investing in a player just for them to up and leave has to be frustrating for a coach so I can see some of the older ones just not thinking it is worth it anymore. It is a completely different game now

Personally, if you put truth serum into most coaches, they would probably despise the portal and NIL. I don't think most would admit it openly though. And investing in a player just for them to up and leave has to be frustrating for a coach so I can see some of the older ones just not thinking it is worth it anymore. It is a completely different game now

100%

Except the ones with the deep-pocketed alumni.

personally, if you put truth serum into most coaches, they would probably despise the portal and nil. I don't think most would admit it openly though. And investing in a player just for them to up and leave has to be frustrating for a coach so i can see some of the older ones just not thinking it is worth it anymore. It is a completely different game now

bingo. Thisx100.

Thanks to NIL, the reigning national POY is returning for another season. He likely wouldn't have been a first-round pick, but he likely would have declared if not for the fact he is going to get a lot of money for coming back to UK. NIL has its flaws because the NCAA was too shortsighted to come up with a set of rules for it, but it isn't universally bad. If it leads some kids to stick around rather than go overseas or hope to be a second round pick, it will have some benefit to the college game.

Thanks to NIL, the reigning national POY is returning for another season. He likely wouldn't have been a first-round pick, but he likely would have declared if not for the fact he is going to get a lot of money for coming back to UK. NIL has its flaws because the NCAA was too shortsighted to come up with a set of rules for it, but it isn't universally bad. If it leads some kids to stick around rather than go overseas or hope to be a second round pick, it will have some benefit to the college game.

That and it allows teams to pay for families to come to away games and come to the home games if they live far away. Those are about the only two positives I can think of.

Terrific article in The Athletic explaining Jay Wright’s decision. He actually informed his AD before the Big East tourney but insisted no one else know because he didn’t want to take the spotlight off his players and their seasons. Quite the contrast with the former Duke coach. In a nutshell, the article says he was always a guy who was consumed with basketball 365 days a year and couldn’t ever really relax. When he sensed that his focus wasn’t all the way there this season, he knew it was time to walk away.

Terrific article in The Athletic explaining Jay Wright’s decision. He actually informed his AD before the Big East tourney but insisted no one else know because he didn’t want to take the spotlight off his players and their seasons. Quite the contrast with the former Duke coach. In a nutshell, the article says he was always a guy who was consumed with basketball 365 days a year and couldn’t ever really relax. When he sensed that his focus wasn’t all the way there this season, he knew it was time to walk away.

Correct. At his PC it seemed to be a shot at K when he said he didn't want to make it about him. Roy Williams, and Wright went out the right way. K on the other hand............not so much.

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status/1522280020915458051[/TWEET]

Cade Davis is leaving the GA spot. Just fyi.

HS hired him.

Back