Blake Griffin's combine measurements...

Thanks for the annual Big ABD Great White Hope draft projection. heh

Last year it was Joe Alexander. jk big.

Tyreke Evans is my guy in this draft. I'm not sure he is very far behind Derrick Rose.

Joe Alexander is going to be a good NBA player... He only averaged 5 per game as a rookie last year, but I bet he ends up being a nice player.

Plus, I meant Heytvelt will be a nice player considering he gets taken in late first round at best.

Tyreke Evans is so far behind Rose it's not even funny.
I agree, but that's because Rose is a pure PG that can score. Evans is more of a 2 and maybe a little more athletic than Rose. He's way behind Rose as a player.

One of the things that is completely underestimated about Rose is that he is a winner. I mean he has won at every level. Compare that to John Wall who couldn't even win a title in 2A in North Carolina with other D-1 players on his team (one a Top 25 guy), while Rose is leading his team to a state title in maybe the most competitive HS league in the US, leads his college team to a title game, and the Bulls to the playoffs in his rookie season.

One of the things that is completely underestimated about Rose is that he is a winner. I mean he has won at every level. Compare that to John Wall who couldn't even win a title in 2A in North Carolina with other D-1 players on his team (one a Top 25 guy), while Rose is leading his team to a state title in maybe the most competitive HS league in the US, leads his college team to a title game, and the Bulls to the playoffs in his rookie season.

It'll be fun to watch 2 of the better point guards ever in him and CP3 for the next decade or so.

I don't know.

Evans will look more athletic on paper with the size and length and he can jump real good. But it's not a real big difference either way between the 2. Rose is a lot better player though.

I agree, but that's because Rose is a pure PG that can score. Evans is more of a 2 and maybe a little more athletic than Rose. He's way behind Rose as a player.

You can define "athleticism" in different ways but Evans has nowhere near the quickness Rose does. Right now there is no lead guard in the NBA who can cover Rose 1 on 1, Ill bet you wont be able to say the same about Evans next year. He looks more smooth then explosive.

You can define "athleticism" in different ways but Evans has nowhere near the quickness Rose does. Right now there is no lead guard in the NBA who can cover Rose 1 on 1, Ill bet you wont be able to say the same about Evans next year. He looks more smooth then explosive.

I agree. Evans is a 2 guard and probably needed one more year of college. He's still going to be a high pick. But he has a lot to improve on. Rose is a perfect all around point guard.

Evans also isn't even close to as explosive off the floor like Rose. I don't know if there is anyone in the league outside Howard and Lebron that explodes off the floor like Derrick Rose. To me Evans is a bigger version of Gilbert Arenas.

Evans will look more athletic on paper with the size and length and he can jump real good. But it's not a real big difference either way between the 2. Rose is a lot better player though.
Size and length aren't used to determine athleticism. DR is more explosive, faster, quicker.

Size and length aren't used to determine athleticism. DR is more explosive, faster, quicker.

I agree and I think DR is and will be the better player.
That being said...I'm really high on Evans. I think he will be one of the better players in this draft. I like his game and I was really impressed how he progressed during his frosh year. He's a guy I wouldn't mind the Thunder taking at #3. I'd rather have him than Rubio. But still I would rather they trade down and pick up another player or pick and get Johnny Flynn. I love his game.

Derrick Rose 14.9 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 4.7 ast, 2.7 TO, 1.2 stl
Tyreke Evans 17.1 ppg, 5.4 rpg, 3.9 ast, 3.6 TO, 2.1 stl

Looks pretty equal to me and we all know Rose played on a better team with veterans Joey Dorsey and CD Roberts which padded his assists.

I was at the last game Evans played vs Missouri and he sliced and diced them at will going for 33.

Again, I'm not sure how far he is behind Rose.

Part of it is they are entirely different players. Evans isn't even close to being a PG while Rose is one of the Top 5 PG's to come along in the last 10 years.

Evans dominates the ball and is a pure scorer. He can absolutely light it up and will play that role for a lot of bad teams but just doesn't seem like the type of guy you find on winning teams.

I just thought that the best comparison might be JR Smith. Loads of physical talent but we'll see if he can put it to use in a team concept.

Part of it is they are entirely different players. Evans isn't even close to being a PG while Rose is one of the Top 5 PG's to come along in the last 10 years.

Evans dominates the ball and is a pure scorer. He can absolutely light it up and will play that role for a lot of bad teams but just doesn't seem like the type of guy you find on winning teams.

I just thought that the best comparison might be JR Smith. Loads of physical talent but we'll see if he can put it to use in a team concept.

Exactly, and Rose was on a great team where he didn't have to score every game. Evans was on a team that was good but not near as good as the previous year.

Exactly, and Rose was on a great team where he didn't have to score every game. Evans was on a team that was good but not near as good as the previous year.

Here's another way to look at it. Rose was the top pick in one of the best drafts in history while Evans is floating somewhere from 4-10 in one of the worst drafts in recent memory. That pretty much sums it up.

This is good news, the CLIPS historically do dumb things and any hint Blake may not be a "freak" could lead them to jumping overboard and dealing him to the Thunder!

-Blake Griffin measured out well from a height perspective, but he doesn’t appear to have great length at all. His standing reach and wingspan are both far below average for a power forward, which likely helps explain why he is such an unimposing defender and shot-blocker. In fact, amongst the 42 power forwards in our database who were selected as top-15 picks, Griffin is just a quarter of an inch from ranking dead last in the wingspan category, and an inch from ranking dead last in standing reach. Yikes.

Anybody else surprised that Hansbrough was only 1/4" shorter than Blake?

Blake is an explosive athlete though. I think the comparison to Karl Malone is close. Malone was about 6-9 250 or so, and had a good post game and agreat jump shot. Griffin is more explosive than Malone. If he can get a consistent jump shot he'll be one of the better power forwards in the game.

Last edited:
Back