Board Request

Also, what is everyones deal with Boca? He seems like a good poster to me, I tend to agree with his views on the NBA.

I don't have anything against him genuinely (though I am pretty sure some do), but he is a guy that definitely begs to have his balls broken.

Seriously though...can we ban him?

I don't have anything against him genuinely (though I am pretty sure some do), but he is a guy that definitely begs to have his balls broken.

no

Just hoops topics for now.

Well crap I already broke the rules with this one.

I bring this up because for example the Michael Jackson created plenty of discussion to the board and it brings other activity which allows different personalities to show themselves in areas they would normally not be allowed to do.

Well crap I already broke the rules with this one.

I bring this up because for example the Michael Jackson created plenty of discussion to the board and it brings other activity which allows different personalities to show themselves in areas they would normally not be allowed to do.

I hear you. And I'm not closing the door on it. Let me think about it.

I am ok with it... I like talking politics, economics, and discussing news issues with peeps. I doubt it would be like O'Connells, because I have seen other forums with a lounge forum and it hasnt been like O'Connells at all. Perhaps allow a lounge forum with some rules (such as no dirty pics and no religious posting) and you will have something under control.

Maybe a test run? See how it goes? Let Malcolm be the mod.

Also, what is everyones deal with Boca? He seems like a good poster to me, I tend to agree with his views on the NBA.
A test run would identify what problems we have in case it is kept as well.

OUI can't really be used as the prime example for this idea. We migrated over here because of OUI, now that it has another failure, it's used against it in the opposite way.

They failed with their basketball forum, and their lounge forum. That's their problem, and like I mentioned the reason we moved here in the first place.

As for boca, I don't actually have a problem with him.

lounge is a great idea, but a horrid name.

we need something fresh and clever, like,

"the northwest expressway chat"

or

Bricktown chatter

feel free to add.

A test run would identify what problems we have in case it is kept as well.

OUI can't really be used as the prime example for this idea. We migrated over here because of OUI, now that it has another failure, it's used against it in the opposite way.

They failed with their basketball forum, and their lounge forum. That's their problem, and like I mentioned the reason we moved here in the first place.

Excellent points, X. The OC should not be used as an example. I did it because that was the only experience I had to draw on. Truth is, if religion and politics were prohibited, an off-topics board would stand a much better chance of success. Those are two volatile topics that create more problems than everything else combined.

I'm sure you know that OUHoops is always open to suggestion, so just be patient and let him think the idea over.

:ez-laugh:

Excellent points, X. The OC should not be used as an example. I did it because that was the only experience I had to draw on. Truth is, if religion and politics were prohibited, an off-topics board would stand a much better chance of success. Those are two volatile topics that create more problems than everything else combined.

I'm sure you know that OUHoops is always open to suggestion, so just be patient and let him think the idea over.
As much as I hate censorship, I have to agree to an off-topic board would go much more smoothly without religion and politics. I don't think I've ever seen either discussed on a message board without threads ending in flames and personal attacks. There are people who can discuss religion and politics calmly, but the majority tends to ruin it.

As much as I hate censorship, I have to agree to an off-topic board would go much more smoothly without religion and politics.

I agree on the no religion, but politics should be fair game. Thats where the other rule, no name calling, comes into play.

-No name calling
-No religion
-No dirty pics
-No dirty language

Enforcing these rules will keep it clean.

I agree on the no religion, but politics should be fair game. Thats where the other rule, no name calling, comes into play.

-No name calling
-No religion
-No dirty pics
-No dirty language

Enforcing these rules will keep it clean.

Well, looks like we have the perfect moderator should a decision be made to add an off topics board. :D

One thing that I think OC does right is all the political discussion on one thread.

I love talking politics and stuff like that, it's what America is all about. But an off topic forum needs to be heavily moderated. I agree with one political thread idea but you have to also moderate it to keep personal attacks out. It's hard for some people to tell the difference between some political attacks, people disagreeing with others because of politics, and personal attacks. You would need at least 2 or 3 moderators for an off topic board, I would be down for it though.

Censoring religion but not politics?

Political discussions seem much more contemptuous on OC than religion.

A decent percentage of discussions involve both.

Last edited:
It's hard for some people to tell the difference between some political attacks, people disagreeing with others because of politics, and personal attacks.

And this is EXACTLY why I think on off-topic board (if it comes to be) should disallow both religion and politics. Like most everyone on here, censorship in the public square is something I generally abhor. But seriously, we can all SAY it will only be responsible, level-headed, respectful political discussion, but the reality is that behind the barrier of an anonymous computer screen and keyboard, people can get nasty pretty darn quick and eschew normal rules of decorum--which would make an already increased tick in mod work a nightmare. I just think it's potential for trouble.

I 100% agree that there should be no religion and politics. We have a really good vibe going on over here and I would really hate to see that spoiled by posters bickering with each other and getting into personal insults over religion and politics. Like qwertyqaz just said, we can all say it will be respectful, but that is not how it will end up and deep down we all know it.

If we had a place to discuss stuff like movies, music, sports other than b-ball, etc, I think that would be great. But I would be VERY hesitant to have it if it has any chance of turning into the OC board.

I don't really see the need for an off-topic board. I come here to talk basketball, both pro and college. It keeps the site pure. There are plenty of off-topic boards with many of the same posters as this site. If anyone wants a list, I can PM it to you.

I think it's a great idea. I would like to nominate Playmakr and TU to be the moderators. Cheno, could be their backup. He could be the alternate official in case of one them gets injured.

I think it's a great idea. I would like to nominate Playmakr and TU to be the moderators. Cheno, could be their backup. He could be the alternate official in case of one them gets injured.
Chendog should just share moderator duties with X and Fatty for that board.

Last edited:
Back