Board to Review Public-Private School Issue Today

This is kind of a touchy subject for me coming from a private school. I don't know about other private schools, but Cascia Hall doesn't recruit. When was the last time you've heard of a big time recruit coming out of Cascia Hall, or for that matter, Heritage or any other private school (Gabe Ikard is an exception)? Private schools may occasionally get a gem, but the best athletes are overwhelmingly from public schools.

When I was a senior at CH in 2005, our football team got to the championship game (2A at the time, against Tuttle). We lost, but our starting lineups were almost completely comprised of seniors who mostly started at CH in 6th grade. Most of our seniors were very good students too.

I went to McGuinness and I cannot stand people posting here and calling the sports animal saying we recruit. It NEVER happened when I was going there into 8th grade. Daniel Orton went to a Catholic feeder school growing up as did Gabe Ikard. They knew where they were going. So I just can't stand all these coaches calling into the animal ripping McGuinness on baseless acquisitions. So what if we are kicking your ass? Get better and quit making excuses!

Oh and hypothetically IF McGuinness recruited (since we don't); Sam Bradford and Xavier Henry would've been at McGuinness if we did recruit.

I don't remember Edison being very successful. They must not be as good at evaluating talent as Cascia. ;)

If Cascia recruited as heavily as some people claim they would be MUCH better represented in D-1 athletics. As it is, since '04, the only players that continued their athletic careers in college for the most part did so playing in the Ivy league.

The advantage is NOT in recruiting, it's in facilities and the program. And that is a huge advantage, but I can only see Cascia maybe being able to compete in 4A in football, and not much further than that. They simply don't have the athletes, just a really good weight program and system. In 5A they'd get demolished.

Sounds like this thread is wandering into the Political Arena. Let's not go there.

I love that every year when the public schools are winning championships, no on cares. But as soon as the private schools win a couple, this issue crops back up. It sounds like some coaches, parents and administrators looking for a scape goat for their ineptitude.

HS Coach. Yes, it is really a problem in Oklahoma...at least at the 4A level.

I love that every year when the public schools are winning championships, no on cares. But as soon as the private schools win a couple, this issue crops back up. It sounds like some coaches, parents and administrators looking for a scape goat for their ineptitude.

If you were a coach at a smaller public school where you work with kids who live only in your district and compete against schools that recruit kids from a much larger area I wonder how successful you would be.

If you were a coach at a smaller public school where you work with kids who live only in your district and compete against schools that recruit kids from a much larger area I wonder how successful you would be.

That is the exception and not the rule. Why make a rule that hurts every private school, because a few have a competitive advantage?

It seems that the proponents are not looking to make things fair for everyone, they are trying to put private schools at a disadvantage.

I am at a disadvantage, so lets move the private school to a class where they are at a disadvantage.

That is the exception and not the rule. Why make a rule that hurts every private school, because a few have a competitive advantage?

It seems that the proponents are not looking to make things fair for everyone, they are trying to put private schools at a disadvantage.

I am at a disadvantage, so lets move the private school to a class where they are at a disadvantage.

The fact that the plan might hurt private schools that don't recruit is probably the reason that it didn't pass and was also my main reservation about it. Corn Bible Academy doesn't need to move up a class.

From what I understand, the board has taken the issue under advisement and will issue a recommendation in the fall. A friend of mine suggested that any private school that had winning percentage over a certain percentage (he used 75%) in a five year period would have to move up a class. If their winning percentage was under a certain percentage (25% was his example) in a five year period, they could drop a class.

The fact that the plan might hurt private schools that don't recruit is probably the reason that it didn't pass and was also my main reservation about it. Corn Bible Academy doesn't need to move up a class.

From what I understand, the board has taken the issue under advisement and will issue a recommendation in the fall. A friend of mine suggested that any private school that had winning percentage over a certain percentage (he used 75%) in a five year period would have to move up a class. If their winning percentage was under a certain percentage (25% was his example) in a five year period, they could drop a class.

I'm not anti-private school at all and I have absolutely no problem moving them up a class if they need to be due to competition issues. McGuinnes basketball obviously should have been moved to 5A quite some time ago. OCS could have been moved to 4A while the Griffin boys were there or even back in the Chianti Roberts days.

There is only one obvious solution: Promotion/Relegation!

I'm not anti-private school at all and I have absolutely no problem moving them up a class if they need to be due to competition issues. McGuinnes basketball obviously should have been moved to 5A quite some time ago. OCS could have been moved to 4A while the Griffin boys were there or even back in the Chianti Roberts days.

Cascia has straddled the 2A/3A border in football for a long time. It just happens that those have both been weak classes the past few years so they've won in both. In '02 and '03 2A was actually stronger than 3A. Should then entire classes have flipped? It's cyclical.

I know it's hard to believe, but public schools do more "recruiting" than private schools. I've heard so many stories about Jenks and Union suddenly hiring parents of extremely athletic kids and moving them in district. These little private schools with less than 400 enrollment in High School typically don't have these incredible D-1 athletes. The exceptions can all be explained with out recruiting being the reason.

What is the main problem at the 4A level? You mean Douglass getting major transfers from all over the city?

Aside from having all the inner city schools, separate issues, BM is the main problem at the 4A level. We're at the bottom of 4A, and had the Oklahoma Plan went through we would have moved down to 3A and saw Cascia and the like move up.

I attended Cascia Hall for 6 years and never saw any evidence for "recruiting" to my grade for any sport.

There were a couple in other grades, but actually, they didn't stick.

Back