Board to Review Public-Private School Issue Today

Not necessarily calling out specific schools for recruiting, but in general, there are clear competitive advantages..

Not necessarily calling out specific schools for recruiting, but in general, there are clear competitive advantages..

The majority of metro 6A and 5A public schools would have a clear competitive advantage over the private schools. Why is that fair?

There won't be a perfect scenario, but I can assure you that the status quo isn't right and will change soon.

Public schools worrying about getting better, instead of blaming private schools seems like the perfect scenario.

The majority of metro 6A and 5A public schools would have a clear competitive advantage over the private schools. Why is that fair?

Clearly, the privates have advantages that will allow them to compete in the higher classes. The small schools have no answers for the advantages of the privates.

Public schools worrying about getting better, instead of blaming private schools seems like the perfect scenario.

Wow. Agenda?

Publics can't manipulate ADMs or "develop/find" talent. They can only work with what's there. Privates can "get better" in other ways...obviously.

Wow. Agenda?

Publics can't manipulate ADMs or "develop/find" talent. They can only work with what's there. Privates can "get better" in other ways...obviously.

No agenda. I went to public schools, both small town and suburban. This whole argument just rings hollow to me.

Yeah, bok seems weirdly invested in this.

I just like to argue, when I see a flawed position.

Ha. Well I am not anti-private, I'd just like to see a level playing field. BM has won the majority of 4A basketball titles in the past ten years, both when I was in HS and since I've started coaching. Are they "working" the hardest in the gym? More than every public school, every year?

The privates have the flawed argument here. Do they really believe everyone is playing by the same rules? Not a chance.

Ha. Well I am not anti-private, I'd just like to see a level playing field. BM has won the majority of 4A basketball titles in the past ten years, both when I was in HS and since I've started coaching. Are they "working" the hardest in the gym? More than every public school, every year?

The privates have the flawed argument here. Do they really believe everyone is playing by the same rules? Not a chance.

Again back to Cascia Hall, I didn't play football in high school but I saw my friends have to get to school at 6 am 5 days a week to lift and then practice for several hours after school (and practice on Saturday mornings). I don't know what they are doing now, but they sure worked hard when I was in school. They were rewarded with several title games (couldn't get past Millwood).

I would be careful lumping private schools together. Cascia was a bunch of slow, small, white boys that would dominate. Again, I didn't notice much of any recruiting.

Again back to Cascia Hall, I didn't play football in high school but I saw my friends have to get to school at 6 am 5 days a week to lift and then practice for several hours after school (and practice on Saturday mornings). I don't know what they are doing now, but they sure worked hard when I was in school. They were rewarded with several title games (couldn't get past Millwood).

I would be careful lumping private schools together. Cascia was a bunch of slow, small, white boys that would dominate. Again, I didn't notice much of any recruiting.

That's what they've done for the past ten years. For guys like me though, it wasn't worth it. It was pretty intense for a high school football program, but that's why they win, even with slow, small, white guys like myself. And that's why I still think they'd win in 4A, maybe not to the same extent because Cascia doesn't have the athletes, but they work pretty freaking hard.

Millwood is one that people should be complaining about. They have dominated the smaller classes for years. However, no one wants to touch why they're better.

You offer no reason which is as much as any opponent can offer.

I hate to break it to you but the good schools don't want these vouchers for kids. We already take enough kids who lie about where they live and drag down our schools. Vouchers sound great but will only water down the good schools and won't create this competition you speak of.

A Lot of time I don't provide a reason for something that I find stupid.

What sport does Edison openly, and consistently recruit in?

It goes on to some extent (a very small extent), everywhere.

Only at a few schools (Jenks, Union, BA) is it a big deal, and those schools are already playing at the highest levels.

SoonerFanTU,

They are hitting basketball hard.
They got 3 new guys eligible at mid semester last year before their championship run.

They will be factors in 5A for years to come. I have stood there while their coach tried to recruit one of ours away during a team camp.

SoonerFanTU,

They are hitting basketball hard.
They got 3 new guys eligible at mid semester last year before their championship run.

They will be factors in 5A for years to come. I have stood there while their coach tried to recruit one of ours away during a team camp.

Brett,

what school do you coach at? This is why I think it's a joke for public schools to complain and act as if it only happens at private schools. I realize at the smaller level it doesn't happen because most of those aren't metro schools. But you can't tell me that PC doesn't "recruit" or even back in the day John Marshall had incredible teams that had a ton of kids that transferred in.

Ada and the Lawton schools used to recruit like crazy. Not sure if they still do.

would you please expand on Ada's recruiting practices and techniques? thanks

Back