Can Ray Willis average double figures off the bench?

thebigabd

Reaction score
From what I have heard (bigtime), Ray is having a really good summer and was going toe to toe with Willie on offense during pickup games. We know he is a really talented offensive player that has trouble on defense and playing within the system. Its too bad he didnt redshirt last year, because he didnt play past December and thats a waste of his eligibility.

Could he be a 10 ppg scorer off the bench as a sophomore? Will he pass Cade?

Somebody has to score other than Gallon and Willie... Production from Orlando and Wright will probably be minimal, Cade hasnt shown that he is a good scorer, who knows about TMG, and Crocker has been around 9-10 points a game for 3 years and will probably do the same this year.

Last edited:
From what I have heard (bigtime), Ray is having a really good summer and was going toe to toe with Willie on offense during pickup games. We know he is a really talented offensive player that has trouble on defense and playing within the system. Its too bad he didnt redshirt last year, because he didnt play past December and thats a waste of his eligibility.

Could he be a 10 ppg scorer off the bench as a sophomore? Will he pass Cade?

Somebody has to score other than Gallon and Willie... Production from Orlando and Wright will probably be minimal, Cade hasnt shown that he is a good scorer, who knows about TMG, and Crocker has been around 9-10 points a game for 3 years and will probably do the same this year.

Ray definitely has the talent to be a double figures scorer off the bench. The question is will he overcome the obstacles I've highlighted and do the right things, on and off the court, to reach his potential as a sophomore? If he does, he could easily average 10 ppg or more. That said, my realistic expectations are in the 7 to 8 points range.

I don't think so. I see more like 6 to 8.

I want to be as excited as some about Ray but I am just going to have to see it to believe it.

I was talking to a buddy about this last night, and we both agreed that it is all up to Ray. Can he next year? He most certainly can. The guy has a really nice offensive game including a nice midrange that he didn't get to show last year. He can score in bunches and he is not afraid to step up and take big shots. He also is active on the glass and can get points off others misses.

It is up to Ray in the sense that he has got to learn to play w/in the framework of OU's offense. He has got to commit to playing defense (Capel is a defense first kind of guy). He has got to bring it everyday in practice. And (maybe most importantly) he has got to not put himself in poor situations off of the basketball court. IF he does those things, then he will get the minutes needed to average double figures, and I think he will be right there (8-10).

The opportunity is there for the taking. We need a guy to come of the bench and score in bunches.

No. Not even close.

When is the last time an OU player averaged 10 ppg off the bench??

No. Not even close.

When is the last time an OU player averaged 10 ppg off the bench??

Didn't Neal spend at least a good portion of his junior year coming off the bench? That was 05-06.

Tony Crocker didn't average 10 ppg last year as a starter playing nearly 30 mpg. 10 ppg is just not a number that Willis could reach off the bench playing 20 mpg or less. And Ray Willis is no Michael Neal right now.

It is vital for Ray to buy in. If he does and we get the production of point from Willie, TMG, and Tiny. We will be a very good team with the sky as the limit. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!

Also, Michael Neal played 30 mpg. I doubt Ray is going to play that many mins next year.

Tony Crocker didn't average 10 ppg last year as a starter playing nearly 30 mpg. 10 ppg is just not a number that Willis could reach off the bench playing 20 mpg or less. And Ray Willis is no Michael Neal right now.

If anyone on the team could manage 10 points in 20 minutes off the bench then it would be Ray. He is one heck of a opportunistic scorer. One thing is for sure, Ray will get his.

Mike Neal was a different kind of player....

Also, Michael Neal played 30 mpg. I doubt Ray is going to play that many mins next year.

Sorry, I wasn't suggesting Willis and Neal were comparable in any way. You just asked when the last time was...3 years ago...

And regardless of what he averages, Willis is a guy who can give you a big number on any given night. I tend to agree that he will take a while to "get it," but he is a natural scorer who just has to find a way to make it translate in a team game.

The best part about it is that it looks like he is a guy that we don't necessarily have to count on, so if he turns out its gravy...

I think everyone knows that Willie and Tiny are both going to be stars next season. Outside of these two, I think Ray has the most upside out of anyone else on the squad. The guy is long and lanky, and everyone knows he can score. I think had he not ran into the off the court troubles, he may have been the first guy off the bench until Juan exploded. I think Ray could work his way into the starting lineup at some point of the year. I agree with BigTime, its all about attitude with Ray. This guy is a flat out player who has really been under rated and has flown under the radar as a player and a recruit. I think people are going to be suprised how well Ray does NEXT YEAR. In my mind, its in the air between him and Crocker as to who the 3rd leading scorer will be. I really hope for Tony's sake that he actually can have a consistant scorer and be the scorer he has shown in the past (Syracuse), but if not, I think Ray is going to need to step up as the 3rd option. I think he will average 10 ppg, even if he is on the bench.

For the record, I'll be the guy in the stands with the sign that reads:

"Ray Willis is the Illest"

Last edited:
I think everyone knows that Willie and Tiny are both going to be stars next season. Outside of these two, I think Ray has the most upside out of anyone else on the squad. The guy is long and lanky, and everyone knows he can score. I think had he not ran into the off the court troubles, he may have been the first guy off the bench until Juan exploded. I think Ray could work his way into the starting lineup at some point of the year. I agree with BigTime, its all about attitude with Ray. This guy is a flat out player who has really been under rated and has flown under the radar as a player and a recruit. I think people are going to be suprised how well Ray does NEXT YEAR. In my mind, its in the air between him and Crocker as to who the 3rd leading scorer will be. I really hope for Tony's sake that he actually can have a consistant scorer and be the scorer he has shown in the past (Syracuse), but if not, I think Ray is going to need to step up as the 3rd option. I think he will average 10 ppg, even if he is on the bench.

JEMoney,

Welcome to the board, bro. Nice first post.

Shots or points? My guess is maybe both. He will lead the team in attempts/minute.

Thats Wack!

It is I quick release... I'm not catching on to who you are though.

LMS:
Care to give some insight to how you think Ray Willis will do?

Back