Capel is really working on Ray Willis to the media...

thebigabd

Reaction score
He is clearly trying to fire Ray up, because he keeps calling out his work ethic in every interview he has done with the media since the end of the season. He must really see some potential in Ray.

Hopefully it works.

I noticed that too. It's a move you see more out of professional coaches than you do college coaches. Roy Williams is one of the best college coaches at doing it. Capel is tearing him down and building him up at the same time.

I noticed that too. It's a move you see more out of professional coaches than you do college coaches. Roy Williams is one of the best college coaches at doing it. Capel is tearing him down and building him up at the same time.

Couldn't agree more.

Sure hope Ray takes to it like white on rice. (And yes, I actually used that phrase)

I agree. Ray could really help this team if he will just buy in to the system. I really think the light switch will come on next year with Ray. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!

I would like to see him add some weight so he could be more diverse. He would be great in a 4 guard lineup if he could hold up just a little bit in the paint. He looks like he has a seven foot wingspan.

I believe the weight room is the first thing he needs to get in and show he will do the work in the Summer to have his body ready for next year. Also this is where the leadership from Coach comes in and the media is where he has decided to go and get the point accross. He has no been just one way in talking him up so there is no reason for Ray to take it the wrong way.

He is clearly trying to fire Ray up, because he keeps calling out his work ethic in every interview he has done with the media since the end of the season. He must really see some potential in Ray.

Hopefully it works.

LMAO, you people just now notice his ability? Why do you think a few of us screamed for him to get a chance to play?

LMAO, you people just now notice his ability? Why do you think a few of us screamed for him to get a chance to play?

Everyone noticed his ability. Many of us didn't pay attention to his liability.

I believe the weight room is the first thing he needs to get in and show he will do the work in the Summer to have his body ready for next year. Also this is where the leadership from Coach comes in and the media is where he has decided to go and get the point accross. He has no been just one way in talking him up so there is no reason for Ray to take it the wrong way.

The weight room never did much for AJ. The Griffin's went to California last summer to get stronger and improve their endurance. Maybe that's why Darby is gone?

Everyone noticed his ability. Many of us didn't pay attention to his liability.

Exactly. The guy has got to WANT to play before he should play. You don't just play guys who haven't earned it....that sends the wrong message to the rest of the team.

The weight room never did much for AJ. The Griffin's went to California last summer to get stronger and improve their endurance. Maybe that's why Darby is gone?

Actually, the weight room proved to be a negative in AJ's case. He hurt his back lifting weights last summer and never really recovered from it.

He has a chance to be special. The weight room usually helps more than it hurts.

We all knew Ray had ability -- the reports of his accomplishments at the high school level told us that.

But we -- and you -- couldn't have known about his practice habits, his work ethic, his attitude about being a team player. We weren't at practice day in and day out, so we gave Coach Capel credit for knowing his stuff. Screaming for a player to get court time who hasn't earned it basically says, "I know more than Coach Capel does -- why isn't he listening to me??"

The rest of us were willing to place our trust in Coach Capel's ability to do what was right for the program and for Ray.

I hope that A has grown back, btw.

It is paramount that Ray works hard on his defense and strength training this summer. Crocker, Cade, and Pledger (from what we hear) are all hard workers that aren't afraid to mix it up on the defensive side of the ball. Capel has shown that if you don't commit to defense then you won't get much playing time (see Willis and Cannon).

I want Ray to do well. I will be rooting for him to "figure it out" by fall practice.

Actually, the weight room proved to be a negative in AJ's case. He hurt his back lifting weights last summer and never really recovered from it.

If he hurt his back he was lifting too much weights. The key is reps not pounds.

Back