Capel post game radio comments

Sooner Quick

Reaction score
As to the general state of affairs, Capel was blunt during his postgame radio interview.

“We have too many agendas on our team,” he said. “Until everyone can submit to the team, it’s going to be tough for us going forward.”

OU”s next two games are against No. 7 Kansas State Saturday in Norman, and at No. 1 Kansas next Monday night. After that, the Sooners face Baylor, Texas and Texas A&M. That’s five of the top six teams in the Big 12 before heading to Kansas City for the conference tournament.

“It’s a lot of problems with this team,” Capel continued. “It’s a lot of different things. That’s on me and our coaching staff. We have to figure out a way to do a better job in lot of areas on our program...

“At times we’re not a very smart basketball team. Again, I attribute that to guys having too many agendas. We have too many agendas on our team instead of it just being about OU winning. I have not done a good job of getting these guys to understand when we win, everyone looks good. When we don’t win, it’s for nothing. It doesn’t matter what anyone did or how many points or whatever. I don’t care about any of that stuff when we don’t win.

“That’s my whole thing, trying to get us to be on the same page to win.”

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20100217_92_0_Willie135539&rss_lnk=92

I respect him for taking some of the responsibility.

I don't think I've ever heard a coach be this much of a critic of himself and his team. But they deserve it.

he really looks frustrated on the bench. I guess a coach has to say those things, because he really can't say, "my players are a bunch of me first, selfish, not willing to learn, jerks." at the same time, always taking the blame, or being so quick to blame himself sure makes it easier to get negative feelings about the coach.

he really looks frustrated on the bench. I guess a coach has to say those things, because he really can't say, "my players are a bunch of me first, selfish, not willing to learn, jerks." at the same time, always taking the blame, or being so quick to blame himself sure makes it easier to get negative feelings about the coach.

I don't think he will be at OU much longer. He has way too many issues to figure out and not enough time to do ti.

I don't think he will be at OU much longer. He has way too many issues to figure out and not enough time to do it.

You think that is a bit of a stretch? Come on, hes not going anywhere, except to work harder and smarter to get us out of this mess. Once he does and we get back on track, that's when I worry he will be gone.

You think that is a bit of a stretch? Come on, hes not going anywhere, except to work harder and smarter to get us out of this mess. Once he does and we get back on track, that's when I worry he will be gone.

I am not suggesting he will leave on his own. Lets just assume for the sake of debate that Gallon and WW leave. What does OU have next year?

pg - TMG
SG/W Cade Davis
W/SF ?????
PF - Fitzgerald
C - ????

If people believe that Allen, Willis and Hardrick are not much help in games, OU has one other guy that can play in games - Pledger. Do you really think that team is much better?

I am not suggesting he will leave on his own. Lets just assume for the sake of debate that Gallon and WW leave. What does OU have next year?

pg - TMG
SG/W Cade Davis
W/SF ?????
PF - Fitzgerald
C - ????

If people believe that Allen, Willis and Hardrick are not much help in games, OU has one other guy that can play in games - Pledger. Do you really think that team is much better?

I dont think gallon needs to leave...I really believe he is going to come back next year and be a beast

Gallon is afraid of playing anywhere close to the basket. His problems are 1000% mental. If he is still afraid to play inside he'll be the same thing next year which is basically a 6-9 300lb guard.

I want to be clear I don't want Gallon to leave. I don't think he has played poorly as a freshman. I don't blame the players for any of the problems. I blame a coaching staff that got themselves into a situation where they had no choice but to play freshman regardless of performance.

Capel cannot tell Tiny if I see X you are coming out of the game. Same thing with WW or really any other players.

based on what?

I think he does several things well. He keeps the ball high on rebounds and shots so it cant be blocked by guards....He has alot of the tools they just need to be sharpened

The guy is forced to play on the perimiter or he will never touch the ball.....I saw several times last night were we should have passed the ball inside and we didnt....yes, we did a few times and he turned the balll away, but everyone was turning the ball away!
You have to feed the big guy in order for him to keep hustling, just like you have to give a fullback the ball a couple times again

I am not suggesting he will leave on his own.

What are you suggesting then? That he gets fired? From your previous post, It sounded like you thought he would leave..I'm guessing out of frustration maybe?

Legitimate question ... has this season undone everything Capel built in the previous three years (particularly the two Griffin years)? Are we worse off today then, say, during Capel's first year?

It's hilarious that people assume that 1)Tiny is going anywhere, and 2)he won't show one bit of improvement from one year to the next. First of all, where the heck is he going? And secondly, have you ever seen a player actually show IMPROVEMENT from one year to the next? Cause I've seen a lot of them. Some of you need to stop seeing what a player is doing TODAY and assuming they will be that same player forever.

Legitimate question ... has this season undone everything Capel built in the previous three years (particularly the two Griffin years)? Are we worse off today then, say, during Capel's first year?
I would say no just based on the fact that Capel has recruiting ties established in Texas that he did not have before his first year. We are consistently getting top tier Texas talent (Willie, Tiny, TMG, Cam Clark and T.J. Taylor) and I do not expect that to change. Nation wide recruiting is about back to where it was, but the Blake Griffin in the NBA factor will be useful once the beats gets healthy.

It's hilarious that people assume that 1)Tiny is going anywhere, and 2)he won't show one bit of improvement from one year to the next. First of all, where the heck is he going? And secondly, have you ever seen a player actually show IMPROVEMENT from one year to the next? Cause I've seen a lot of them. Some of you need to stop seeing what a player is doing TODAY and assuming they will be that same player forever.

:clap

Im not sure where the Tiny is leaving stuff came from. I also agree that most players improve from one year to the next. I also think that the biggest jump is after their freshman year. So, I expect Tiny to be here 1, and be much improved 2, just b/c he'll be a sophomore. Call me naive, but I've seen it happen over the years so I fugure the trend will continue.

Season 1- Awful
Season 2- Average
Season 3- Great (but no trophies)
Season 4- Disaster

This is the reality of the situation.

Back