CBI Tourny?

Dr Sleep

Reaction score
What kind of teams/records make it to this tourny?

What does OU have to do to get there?

This team needs more practice and playing time together like no other, they need post-season play.

:jcapel

The CBI generally tries to take whatever the best teams it can that can make the most money on. Some teams go with a losing record. I think they'd just have to accept an invitation and they'd be in.

I know it costs money to host the CBI, I think I have read somewhere it was 60K when Tulsa was hosting the tournament. I don't think we would pay that much for the CBI.

No CBI please. If OU can't sneak into the NIT, I say hang 'em up for the year, hit the recruiting trail, and let the players that may not be back next year start deciding what they are doing.

Some people will claim the games provide the young guys a chance at getting better, but if Tiny isn't able to play, and assuming Willie is gone, TMG is the only young guy that will get significant minutes. I don't see the benefit in reinforcing all the bad things we've been doing.

I really don't know if a post season helps this team any. They don't learn from losing and they think they are good just cause they find a way to win a game and still do the bad things that leads to losses.

I really don't know if a post season helps this team any. They don't learn from losing and they think they are good just cause they find a way to win a game and still do the bad things that leads to losses.

I don't know about the CBI, but I would definitely play in the NIT. With that attitude, why even finish the season?

No CBI please. If OU can't sneak into the NIT, I say hang 'em up for the year, hit the recruiting trail, and let the players that may not be back next year start deciding what they are doing.

I agree

Don't play in the CBI...just hold team/individual workouts with the coaching staff through the end of the NCAA tourney. Would be just as beneficial than hosting games against some mid-low major teams which would get up for a game against a big conference member.

I dont know about you guys but watching OU play is entertaining to me. I enjoy it. Ill take whatever i can get and ill enjoy it.

No CBI. If we don't make the NIT move on to next year. I think participating in a tournament like the CBI would hurt our reputation more than it would help it.

I don't know how it would hurt our rep, no one is going to be paying attention to it besides the teams involved. I think being snobby and turning it down would be worse. This team could use some more playing time and coaching like I said earlier, but could also use some confidence by winning some games going into the offseason.

But we can practice through the end of the NCAA tournament. Wouldn't that be more beneficial than playing a couple of games against East Popcorn State? I just don't see how PAYING to participate in a tournament with virtually zero television exposure would do anything for us whatsoever.

But we can practice through the end of the NCAA tournament. Wouldn't that be more beneficial than playing a couple of games against East Popcorn State? I just don't see how PAYING to participate in a tournament with virtually zero television exposure would do anything for us whatsoever.

you make good points. i can only say practice hasn't helped so far and thought continued real competition would be better. I would think there would be some better teams than snack food in it, but I don't know. If snack food U can afford the tourny then surely OU could.

The CBI was huge for Tulsa two years ago. It really propelled Jerome Jordan to another level and fan support was great. The fact it wasn't on TV actually helped.

The hard part for OU is the OKC Thunder could be in the middle of a playoff battle by the time the CBI comes around. Attendance would be hurt by that.

I think the OKC Thunder has been horrible for attendance at OU & OSU. More OSU than OU.

Some people will claim the games provide the young guys a chance at getting better, but if Tiny isn't able to play, and assuming Willie is gone, TMG is the only young guy that will get significant minutes. I don't see the benefit in reinforcing all the bad things we've been doing.

Fitzgerald is almost a gauranteed starter next year if Tiny does not return. In any event he gets a lot of playing time next year. I think Pledger also gets significant minutes next year. Heck just let Big O play the whole game (or games).

I am not a big fan of OU being in this event but I think they need the practice.

No offense to any Tulsa fans out there but if we're comparing tulsa's program to ours that is pretty sad. Teams that participate in the CBI are desperate for ANY kind of exposure both nationally and with their own fanbase. I would hope we're not at that level.

I think that we should use that extra time to run a boot camp to "motivate" these guys. And then make them watch the NCAA games as a group with the staff being present. I'm sure that there is some rule that prevents it, but a crappy month or so for these guys wouldn't hurt my feelings [if I recall Pat Summit made everybody run when Tenn. got upset in the NCAA a year or two ago].

Back