3. Umoja Gibson
4. Elijah Harkless
5. Jalen Hill
6. Marvin Johnson
7. Jacob Groves
8. C.J. Noland
9. Ethan Chargois
13. Bijan Cortes

No order but have to think this is the 9 that plays a ton after exhibition games. Odd that I think all can play at some point. Bijan needs to get healthy but could RS.

i have the same top 9 ...

and Mason will get 6 min or so as the back up point guard until very late in the year ..

you think at the 3 or at the 4?? (i do think he plays at both this season )

3/4 are the same to me. depends on who you can defend.

Say Tanner, chargois are in... hes the 3.

If its harkless, goldwire, gibson, and T groves, hes the 4.

They will not switch screen as much as Lon did. Itll be more get through them, hard hedge etc...

PG: Goldwire
SG: Gibson
SG: Harkless
PF: Chargois
PF: Groves

That's the lineup I like.

PG: Goldwire
SG: Gibson
SG: Harkless
PF: Chargois
PF: Groves

That's the lineup I like.

Chagrois not starting unless T Groves is injured. He’s your backup center. Won’t see these guys playing together a whole lot.

I like the Goldwire, Harkless, Gibson, J Groves and T Groves lineup. My sixth man would be Hill.

I have seen all of those guys play. Might change my mind once I see Mawein, Noland, Mason and Johnson play.

When I went to the open practice on Tuesday Jacob Groves was our best 3 point shooter by a lot (recognizing this is just a tiny sample size).

When I went to the open practice on Tuesday Jacob Groves was our best 3 point shooter by a lot (recognizing this is just a tiny sample size).

My money would be on Gibson if it were a shooting contest. I do love Groves' height though, with the ability to stroke the 3.

If I were to guess a lineup:

Goldwire
Gibson
Harkless
Hill/Chargois
Groves, T

I know Minnesota was bad but heard tanner had 26-28

Goldwire has had a great 2 weeks and maybe more of a scoring pg than anticipated.

Jacob averaged a little more than 36% from three at Eastern Washington last year. That would have put him in third place at OU last season, roughly one percentage point behind Brady Manek.

If Jacob can make shots from deep, I think he might see more time on the wing at OU than at EW, because Tanner, Ethan, and possibly Issanza and Mawein will be doing most of the dirty work down low. My guess is Porter will continue to use Jacob’s size on the inside in some situations, especially if Mawein and Big Rick aren’t ready to hold their own against the bigger teams in conference.

Jacob averaged a little more than 36% from three at Eastern Washington last year. That would have put him in third place at OU last season, roughly one percentage point behind Brady Manek.

If Jacob can make shots from deep, I think he might see more time on the wing at OU than at EW, because Tanner, Ethan, and possibly Issanza and Mawein will be doing most of the dirty work down low. My guess is Porter will continue to use Jacob’s size on the inside in some situations, especially if Mawein and Big Rick aren’t ready to hold their own against the bigger teams in conference.

Great news is that at 6'9" with a high release he can get this shot off any time.

Porter was very clear yesterday that Jacob is a wing. He won’t be inside much if at all for us. As well as he and Tanner played offensively against KU, they got abused defensively, so I don’t see us ever using the two of them together in the frontcourt.

Porter was very clear yesterday that Jacob is a wing. He won’t be inside much if at all for us. As well as he and Tanner played offensively against KU, they got abused defensively, so I don’t see us ever using the two of them together in the frontcourt.

Maybe you missed what I said about Jacob spending more time on the wing at OU than when he was at EW.

I find it hard to believe Porter will not capitalize on the Groves brothers’ special chemistry in some situations, without regard to the position they’re playing on paper. Jacob may spend most of his time on the wing, but I think we’ll see him post up smaller defenders in close to take advantage of his 6’ 9” size.

Maybe you missed what I said about Jacob spending more time on the wing at OU than when he was at EW.

I find it hard to believe Porter will not capitalize on the Groves brothers’ special chemistry in some situations, without regard to the position they’re playing on paper. Jacob may spend most of his time on the wing, but I think we’ll see him post up smaller defenders in close to take advantage of his 6’ 9” size.

Wait... Wing players are allowed to take advantage of mismatches and post up? you lie

and yet he has been practicing as a wing and a post ..

I’m sure he has. He will definitely be asked to guard 4s this year & asked to do some work in the post offensively. He is more of a wing but will definitely mix in both.

Thank you! Porter is not going to limit a 6’ 9” player with Jacob’s skill set to the wing and not give him the freedom to post up smaller defenders down low. He could be a match up nightmare if he can make shots from the perimeter and be a threat to take his man inside.

Some of you need to realize that basketball is becoming more and more of a position-less sport.

J. Groves and Hill can both play either spot. That doesn't change what they'll be asked to do. Neither has to have a post-up game just because they are playing the 4. And if they do have a post-up game, even if they are playing the 3, they can still be posted-up within the flow of the offense.

Nobody really runs an offense with two guys in the post at the same time. That is rare. So offensively, a 3 and a 4 are doing primarily the same things (ie, something on the wing).

Some of you need to realize that basketball is becoming more and more of a position-less sport.

J. Groves and Hill can both play either spot. That doesn't change what they'll be asked to do. Neither has to have a post-up game just because they are playing the 4. And if they do have a post-up game, even if they are playing the 3, they can still be posted-up within the flow of the offense.

Nobody really runs an offense with two guys in the post at the same time. That is rare. So offensively, a 3 and a 4 are doing primarily the same things (ie, something on the wing).

Again, thank you! I use terms like wing and post, but I don’t get hung up on specific positions for versatile players. That’s old school thinking that has no place in today’s game. Jordan Woodard at 6’ tall on his best day started his OU career as a point guard. He finished it as a wing.

There are players like that at every level of the game, especially in the NBA. Who cares how they’re listed on the school’s web site? They’re all basketball players to me.

Chagrois not starting unless T Groves is injured. He’s your backup center. Won’t see these guys playing together a whole lot.

Chargois is a stretch forward... In his first two years of college basketball, he made 80 3's at 35% from that spot.

The guy you guys are talking about to start in that spot has hit 11 3's in his first two years.... 4 in one year, 7 in another another.

Chargois has individual games where he hit more 3's than Jalen did all season.

Jalen Hill is an offensive black hole.... He's a liability. It's 4 on 5 out there. He is a defensive liability as well.

He's this teams version of Jamal Bienemy... A guy who had the physical look of a guy who shouldn't be a black hole, but is a black hole.... And Bienemy did the right thing and transferred to UTEP and had a great year... I actually followed him and was glad he made that move. It was better for him in every way...

Either way.... Chargois and Groves form a great combo in the paint. I will be excited to see what happens there.

Back