Do you believe Capel quote?

Reaction score
QUOTABLE
Oklahoma coach Jeff Capel, on freshman forward Tiny Gallon, whose production and minutes have shrunk during the past six games:

"I don’t think it’s a funk. Tiny’s a happy guy on the bench for those guys. Some freshmen hit walls at different times, but we need him, and he’s been pretty good for us all year, and we need him to be good for us throughout the rest.”

Read more: http://www.newsok.com/article/3437880#ixzz0eyvyOTKr

I personally believe it is a funk. He is not good right now. He did not look happy on the bench to me.

I don't know what I believe about the quote but I do know that I believe that Tiny should abandon all thought of an NBA career until he can prove that he can perform at something resembling an above-average level while at OU.

Before I get blasted, I'm not questioning his heart/desire/work ethic...I'm questioning his ability to actually be a productive low-post scorer vs anyone approaching his size.

Man, he has some work to do.

Yea I don't understand some people saying he hates playing for us, is going to transfer, try to go to the nba, bla bla

Yea he has a horrible look on his face because he's not playing good. I think he's happy that the team is getting some big wins and I fully expect him to work on stuff during the off-season and return next year with a lot of improvement.

I don't claim to know anything about him not wanting to play at OU or whatever, but I was the game Saturday and the crowd supports him.

Everyone was pulling for him and everyone knows he's talented. Its reached a point that people are just dissapointed and not really mad anymore. I'm not sure what that says, but if he ever gets it together he will be an instant favorite.

Take that for what it's worth, but he didn't join his teammates Saturday when they went into the student section behind the goal to high five the fans like they do after every home game. He and Willie went straight into the locker room after shaking hands with the Texas players.

Take that for what it's worth, but he didn't join his teammates Saturday when they went into the student section behind the goal to high five the fans like they do after every home game. He and Willie went straight into the locker room after shaking hands with the Texas players.

I don't put too much stock in this, appears that Tiny is beginning to realize that maybe he isn't as good/dominant as he thought he was...which is not a bad thing at all. His play the past few weeks has been mediocre at best and I am sure he knows it. Tiny is accustomed to being a dominant player who can do whatever he wants on the floor...however, when you start going against experienced collegiate players, that advantage you thought you had is negated.

As I said in another thread, Tiny just needs to work on maximizing his minutes the rest of the year and get ready for a grueling summer of individual and conditioning workouts which will greatly improve his game. Dude is just a frosh, his best years are definitely ahead of him and I am sure Cline/Capel remind him on daily basis.

I don't know what I believe about the quote but I do know that I believe that Tiny should abandon all thought of an NBA career until he can prove that he can perform at something resembling an above-average level while at OU.

Before I get blasted, I'm not questioning his heart/desire/work ethic...I'm questioning his ability to actually be a productive low-post scorer vs anyone approaching his size.

Hate to break it to you but he has already done that. Starting as a true freshman is above average.

he's clearly talented and he showed that in the first half of the year. he is obviously struggling, but he will come out of it. hopefully soon cuz we do need him.

Right now he's almost afraid to go anywhere near the paint. I think he needs to just start trying to bang around there and maybe he'll get more consistent touches inside.

I'm starting to believe it's a mental problem with him. It looks to me that he has zero court awareness when he gets the ball....and that's ok, he's a freshman. It also seems to me....his first thought is to back the guy down and force up a shot. He has made a few, but this has led to far more bad and awkward looking shots as of late. I've never coached at that level, but my first thought would be to instruct him to look for cutters or the skip pass when he gets it in the post....unless he is 2-3 feet from the basket. It would certainly alleviate some of the pressure of "I have to score" that he feels. Just MHO.

He supposedly was at 747 with Gerber Friday night.

He wasn't drinking from what I was told, but to be at a bar the night before the biggest home game of the year seems like his mental approach to the game isn't where it should be.

He better not have been drinking considering he is underage by a couple of years and like you said for him to even be there like he supposedly was is not very smart. Then again considering what Pledge and Fitz did it wouldn't surprise me. :confused:

You guys are awfully harsh on the guy. I think he has shone a lot this year. He just has a lot to learn. His prior coaches did not do him any favors letting him pretend to be a guard.

Tiny will be a great player for us before his career is done. I see his face when he hits the floor our there and he wants to do well and is trying, he just is thinking too hard which most always results in mistakes. He was put in an unfair position following up Blake especially with the lack of post depth, a lot was put on his shoulders early on this year. He is extremely talented and it does look like he hit the Freshman wall. Ill bet you guys before the year is out we ll go back to seeing the Tiny we saw early on this year that was dominating the boards and making us all wonder how incredible his future will be at OU.

i think what capel said about ryan wright should ring true with tiny. he said pittman and marshall moses have one move and they use it effectively until you can stop it. ryan and tiny both don't have to make 15 different moves on their defenders. know what you do the best, and keep pounding the other team with it.

tiny's post move is going over his left shoulder. i know i don't have the best memory, but i don't recall him doing that very much lately. he's been trying to take his man off the dribble with pullups and reverse layups, and it's messing with his game right now.

Back