Ekpe Udoh

Sam

Reaction score
I think DFW lied to us about him, reminds me more of Hakeem or Dikembe with the way he swats stuff more so than Tim Duncan.

Kid is a beast and a lotto.

I love his game. I'm not sure how his offensive game translates over to the next level though. I think he'll be a great energy guy in the league...not sure if he's a starter. I've just seen him play a lot yesterday though and it's hard to tell with OU's total lack of an inside game. Heck, Acy looked like an all-american at times vs Tiny.

He's definitely gotta little Mutumbo thing going on.

I agree that he'll more than likely be a great shot blocking force at the next level.

He's not a great leaper like Acy but his wingspan is 93 inches. His understanding of the game and timing are his strengths. Anyone who has played against a great shot blocker knows how terribly disruptive it can be for shooters. A couple of Warren's corner open shots were in Udoh's area. Even when he is not close, he makes opponents get itchy trigger fingers.

See a less explosive Serge Ibaka, with probably a little better offensive game.

Dude will be getting paid real soon.

He's not a great leaper like Acy but his wingspan is 93 inches. His understanding of the game and timing are his strengths. Anyone who has played against a great shot blocker knows how terribly disruptive it can be for shooters. A couple of Warren's corner open shots were in Udoh's area. Even when he is not close, he makes opponents get itchy trigger fingers.

I totally agree at the college level but a the pro level at 6'9-6'10 he's not going to be that intimidating.

Emeka Okafor has been top 10 in the NBA in blocks per game at 6'9'' or 6'10''... Ekpe should be fine.

Emeka Okafor has been top 10 in the NBA in blocks per game at 6'9'' or 6'10''... Ekpe should be fine.

Okafor led his team to the NCAA championship. I believe I will hold off crowning Udoh the 2nd coming until Baylor actually does something.

Okafor led his team to the NCAA championship. I believe I will hold off crowning Udoh the 2nd coming until Baylor actually does something.

Okafor was surrounded by a batch of pros on UConn. Give Udoh credit for improving the defensive abilities of Baylor.

It's a big thing if you've got a shot blocker with timing, although I wouldn't venture that Udoh is that much better than Longar Longar. Still I think he averaged close to 4 blocks per game at Michigan

Okafor was surrounded by a batch of pros on UConn. Give Udoh credit for improving the defensive abilities of Baylor.

It's a big thing if you've got a shot blocker with timing, although I wouldn't venture that Udoh is that much better than Longar Longar. Still I think he averaged close to 4 blocks per game at Michigan

Udoh's block rate this year: 13.2%
Udoh's block rate at Michigan: 12.3%
Longar's block rate at OU, his last two years: 6.3%, 4.4%

Hasheem Thabeet last year: 11.9%
Jarvis Varnado, last 3 years at Ms. St.: 16%, 15.4%, 17.8%

Unfortunately, Pomeroy doesn't have block rate stats for 2004.

Is that 93 inches legit? A 7'9" wingspan could be a NBA pre-draft camp record. For reference, Thabeet's wingspan was measured as 7'6.25". What is Udoh's reported standing reach?

I totally agree at the college level but a the pro level at 6'9-6'10 he's not going to be that intimidating.
You don't block shots with your forehead. If that wingspan DFW is claiming for Udoh is close to accurate, his standing reach is probably equivalent to that of an average-proportioned person several inches taller than 6'10".

Is that 93 inches legit? A 7'9" wingspan could be a NBA pre-draft camp record. For reference, Thabeet's wingspan was measured as 7'6.25". What is Udoh's reported standing reach?

I'm off- I added wrong. His wingspan is 88 inches- 7'4". My bad.

Back