Future of Moser

I disagree that Los has improved. His assists/turnovers numbers are better, but his offensive game is a shell of what it was last year. His shooting at all three levels is atrocious, he seems indecisive, and it’s obvious his confidence is shot. Most guys make their biggest leap in their sophomore season. He hasn’t. And Oweh … yikes. He’s been so, so bad the past few weeks, it’s hard to even know where to start. When I read posters say that our offense generates open shots, part of that is because teams are happy to let guys like Oweh shoot jumpers. A couple of broadcasters have pointed that out recently — teams don’t even guard him a lot of the time. And he is a terrible finisher, which makes no sense given his strength and athleticism.

Those are the two guys people point to as the jewels of his high school recruiting. Northweather is a nonfactor who should be processed in the offseason if we are truly making progress. People can make excuses for why Cooper isn’t playing, but if a borderline top 50 kid goes his entire freshman season without playing a meaningful minute, there is no positive way to spin that. Who knows whether Cole will ever be a player. And I don’t see Forsythe as a dude.

Checking the standings, here are the teams we’re ahead of: two of the new schools to the league that are going through a massive jump in competition. WVU, which lost its coach in June and played the first two months without two or three of their best players. KSU, which has definitely been a disappointment but they did have their best returning player booted by the university president; I think that caused all sorts of friction. And lastly, OSU. We are tied or behind everyone else, including BYU, which theoretically should have struggled to adjust to this level of competition. And should we compare Tech to how OU was in PM’s first season?
You would be disagreeing with stats.

Los's numbers:
1708541526271.png

He has improved in every area but shooting%'s. How can you say Assists up, turnovers down is not a big improvement for a PG? His KP offensive player rating is up from last year.

He is scoring at a higher rate, rebounding at a higher rate, more assists, fouling less, less turnovers per 40...how has that not improved?

You would be disagreeing with stats.

Los's numbers:
View attachment 997

He has improved in every area but shooting%'s. How can you say Assists up, turnovers down is not a big improvement for a PG? His KP offensive player rating is up from last year.

He is scoring at a higher rate, rebounding at a higher rate, more assists, fouling less, less turnovers per 40...how has that not improved?
When you are taking nearly three more shots and only scoring one more per game, that’s not improvement. I acknowledged the assist/to number, but honestly, I think a good bit of the assist number is because he has guys like Moore and Soares to finish as opposed to the guys on the roster last season.

And setting aside the numbers, there are way too many games where he is just seems to make very little impact for long stretches.

When you are taking nearly three more shots and only scoring one more per game, that’s not improvement. I acknowledged the assist/to number, but honestly, I think a good bit of the assist number is because he has guys like Moore and Soares to finish as opposed to the guys on the roster last season.

And setting aside the numbers, there are way too many games where he is just seems to make very little impact for long stretches.
In what world does saying, "acknowledging" means to just wash away?

He has gotten better by the stats, which you stated in another thread were facts and facts matter.

Oweh:

1708578981554.png

His Per 40 show he has improved in FG%, 2P%, 3P%, AST, BLK, and less TOV/fouls more PPG... or do you need to cite how his steals have gone down, therefore, he is worse?

In what world does saying, "acknowledging" means to just wash away?

He has gotten better by the stats, which you stated in another thread were facts and facts matter.

Oweh:

View attachment 998

His Per 40 show he has improved in FG%, 2P%, 3P%, AST, BLK, and less TOV/fouls more PPG... or do you need to cite how his steals have gone down, therefore, he is worse?
When it comes to Oweh, you can pretty much divide his season into two parts — noncon (bad competition) and conference (good competition). I just checked his conference game log and he is 6-27 from three (22 percent) and 37-110 (34 percent) overall. 30-55 (55 percent) from the line. I mean, do I even have to point out how awful all those numbers are? I’d guess his numbers in conference games were better last year, as a freshman who was extremely raw and didn’t even get real minutes till the final month. If the season had ended on Christmas, he would be a good player development story. But he is the exactly the kind of player who can thrive against weak opponents because of his athleticism, but unless he can develop his basketball skills or the staff can put him in better positions to play to his strengths, he will struggle against good teams.

When it comes to Oweh, you can pretty much divide his season into two parts — noncon (bad competition) and conference (good competition). I just checked his conference game log and he is 6-27 from three (22 percent) and 37-110 (34 percent) overall. 30-55 (55 percent) from the line. I mean, do I even have to point out how awful all those numbers are? I’d guess his numbers in conference games were better last year, as a freshman who was extremely raw and didn’t even get real minutes till the final month. If the season had ended on Christmas, he would be a good player development story. But he is the exactly the kind of player who can thrive against weak opponents because of his athleticism, but unless he can develop his basketball skills or the staff can put him in better positions to play to his strengths, he will struggle against good teams.
I’m surprised Moser doesn’t have some sets for Oweh to try and get him to the rim and maybe get a rhythm going. I’m sure he could draw up a few plays that give Oweh a chance.

Last edited:
I know this is a bit off topic of the current convo, but this thread feels like the appropriate place for this comment/observation. Since he's been here, Moser's calling card has been that we've been an elite 3 point defensive team. We are higher than average at preventing opposing team 3 point attempts and consistently hold opposing teams to very low 3 point percentages.

I wonder how much better the defenses would be with a true rim protector. Running guys off the three and defending the 3 line well is obviously a great thing to be doing on D, but if you don't have someone under the rim to deter or affect those shots then it could be all for nothing. Running those guys into a difference maker under the rim could really elevate this team a lot further. If Moser does stick around next year, we REALLY need to figure out the 5 spot. Godwin just ain't it and Hugley isn't known as a defender.

In order of priority for additions, we need a legit defensive 5 man and then a wing that can shoot. You'll obviously take any talented player that wants to come, but those two things are something this team is severely lacking.

I know this is a bit off topic of the current convo, but this thread feels like the appropriate place for this comment/observation. Since he's been here, Moser's calling card has been that we've been an elite 3 point defensive team. We are higher than average at preventing opposing team 3 point attempts and consistently hold opposing teams to very low 3 point percentages.

I wonder how much better the defenses would be with a true rim protector. Running guys off the three and defending the 3 line well is obviously a great thing to be doing on D, but if you don't have someone under the rim to deter or affect those shots then it could be all for nothing. Running those guys into a difference maker under the rim could really elevate this team a lot further. If Moser does stick around next year, we REALLY need to figure out the 5 spot. Godwin just ain't it and Hugley isn't known as a defender.

In order of priority for additions, we need a legit defensive 5 man and then a wing that can shoot. You'll obviously take any talented player that wants to come, but those two things are something this team is severely lacking.

I’d do unspeakable things for a Jabahri Brown type big man next year.

Last edited:
I’m surprised Moser doesn’t have some sets for Oweh to try and get him to the rim and maybe get a rhythm going. I’m sure he could draw up a few plays that give Oweh a chance.
That’s sounds to much like good coaching. It’s better to just blame him for not buying into the culture wall.

That’s sounds to much like good coaching. It’s better to just blame him for not buying into the culture wall.
Yeah you’re right. Also, why draw up plays to give your starters a chance when the stadium is so old? I mean who wants to score in such an old stadium as LNC anyways?

I've never heard of a sophomore slump. Seems like that would be more common.

Nine games!?! That's almost half of conference play 😂
Yep. And our season was in the toilet and everyone knew we were going nowhere. The funny thing is that you think you burned me with this response. The tourney projections would need to extend to a “10th four out” category for us to have been visible as of early February last season.

Back