Future of Moser

Five consensus 4-star recruits in 3 seasons is pretty great for ou. Kruger probably only signed a few more than that over the course of his entire ou career.

The other 2 signees were 3-star players who both earned player of the year in their states. Nothing to sneeze at there either.
Eh. Guys who don’t even have a national ranking and who weren’t exactly fighting off offers from high level schools don’t move the needle just because they are named high school player of the year based on stats against overmatched competition. As for the others, we will see if any of them end up having truly impactful careers at OU. But people can’t have it both ways. If you want to hype of his high school recruiting, then you better be willing to acknowledge poor player development if we don’t get far better production than we have so far from the ones on campus.

Exactly. People are missing the point. Do Uzan and Oweh have their shortcomings? Sure, but they're also sophomores, they are not finished products. For a majority of the season, both were starters on a team that's had the most regular season wins since the final four team and in the toughest conference in basketball. What they do, despite their limitations, is translating to wins. They may not be Buddy/Reaves/Trae, but they're also way better than Christian James, Odomes, Bienemy, Jordan Shepherd, Trey Phipps, Josh O'Garro, CJ Noland.

Hoping for continuity cause its the best path forward - coaches stay, players stay and develop, continue to recruit well in high school and address any imminent needs in the portal.
I wasn’t a fan of James, but to say the two current guards are way better than him or RO isn’t true. Uzan is actually following the James script. Very promising freshman season followed by a big letdown when he took on a larger role. And Oweh … he played better the last month of last season than he has for the past several weeks. I can’t identify a single thing he does well on the offensive end of the floor. His skills haven’t improved and he makes way too many boneheaded plays.

I wasn’t a fan of James, but to say the two current guards are way better than him or RO isn’t true. Uzan is actually following the James script. Very promising freshman season followed by a big letdown when he took on a larger role. And Oweh … he played better the last month of last season than he has for the past several weeks. I can’t identify a single thing he does well on the offensive end of the floor. His skills haven’t improved and he makes way too many boneheaded plays.
Odomes was a bum. Reminds me of oweh tho

Five consensus 4-star recruits in 3 seasons is pretty great for ou. Kruger probably only signed a few more than that over the course of his entire ou career.
Kruger signed more than you might think. Heck, his 2019 class alone had three 4* kids.

He signed TY.

McGusty. Noland.

It's a longer list than you think.

I'm not knocking PM's recruiting, on paper it's been fine. I'm just not sure over a period of time it'll be better than what Kruger did.

Exactly. People are missing the point. Do Uzan and Oweh have their shortcomings? Sure, but they're also sophomores, they are not finished products.
That's just it though, they've played a lot and should be more than they currently are. Just because Buddy or some others didn't become super-stars until their Senior year, doesn't mean that is the expectation or the way OU can be successful. We need recruits like that to be better than they've been this year. Some of you all had Uzan in the NBA next season. Oweh has become unplayable the last 2 months. Cooper couldn't even get on the floor. Not even developed enough to contribute at the end of his freshman season.

OU's program will require better development than that. PM, or probably any other coach OU will get, will recruit/retain well enough to not have top recruits like that be better than those 2-3 have been.

Sophomore slump is a thing. They don’t *have to suck* nor does Moser.

Kruger signed more than you might think. Heck, his 2019 class alone had three 4* kids.

He signed TY.

McGusty. Noland.

It's a longer list than you think.

I'm not knocking PM's recruiting, on paper it's been fine. I'm just not sure over a period of time it'll be better than what Kruger did.

He signed ~10 blue chip guys (give or take depending on the service) over 10 seasons. About 1 per class.

Moser is averaged nearly 2 per class. Per the recruiting websites, Moser’s high school recruiting has been better than Lon’s (and Kelvin’s).

But people can’t have it both ways. If you want to hype of his high school recruiting, then you better be willing to acknowledge poor player development if we don’t get far better production than we have so far from the ones on campus.

The same could be said back to you.

If Moser doesn't recruit well, doesn't develop well, and doesn't gameplan well -- how did we win 20 games? That obviously doesnt mean he's amazing but he has to have at least done something decent.

The same could be said back to you.

If Moser doesn't recruit well, doesn't develop well, and doesn't gameplan well -- how did we win 20 games? That obviously doesnt mean he's amazing but he has to have at least done something decent.
By beating the bad teams on the schedule and winning exactly two games against the tournament field.

If he's destined to DePaul why go to the bighouse?

By beating the bad teams on the schedule and winning exactly two games against the tournament field.
Where are you getting your info on the tournament field? We won't know until next Sunday...

I will bite here though:
  • You are just trying to minimize a 20-win season, that is fine, you are allowed to do so. (OU has a top-25 SOS per NET.)
  • Let's assume the tournament field is subject to the best 68 teams, no matter what, no conf at-large bids. (Bc there may be some surprise teams make in, but doubtful)
    • OU will have 17 (out of 31) of these games on their schedule v. Top 68 opponents (Texas game result tbd)
    • (6-10) record against those teams. (not satisfying, sure)
  • Let's assume we look at the top projected team's based on Joe Lunardi then, actual tournament teams?
    • Houston, North Carolina, Iowa St(2), BYU, Baylor, Texas, Texas Tech, TCU (bubble), Iowa (bubble), Providence (bubble)
    • OU has 11 such games and is (4-7) in that span.
At least operate in a bit of good faith when you make some statements. We could easily have the win v. Houston and Taco Tech, so it isn't like we can't compete against tournament teams. OU would absolutely be favored against most of the conference auto-bids from lower conferences as well. Hence why I went with the Top-68 teams for a better reference point for competition and not dice-rolling on who makes it on v. schedule.

Also to add: Cincinnati (x2)(bubble) was on Lunardi's beginning week list, but since has been removed after our game. Would make it (6-7) if that were the case.

If winning 18-20 games, 7-9 games in conference, and making the NCAA tourney isn't praise-worthy, then you need take back a half-decade of constant praise you gave to Lon. OU's SOS is top 25, so it's not a soft schedule.

I'm not content with where the program is, and I haven't been for a while, but at least try to remain consistent.

Exactly. People are missing the point. Do Uzan and Oweh have their shortcomings? Sure, but they're also sophomores, they are not finished products. For a majority of the season, both were starters on a team that's had the most regular season wins since the final four team and in the toughest conference in basketball. What they do, despite their limitations, is translating to wins. They may not be Buddy/Reaves/Trae, but they're also way better than Christian James, Odomes, Bienemy, Jordan Shepherd, Trey Phipps, Josh O'Garro, CJ Noland.

Hoping for continuity cause its the best path forward - coaches stay, players stay and develop, continue to recruit well in high school and address any imminent needs in the portal.
I think Uzan can have an Isaiah Cousins arc if he stays, Oweh has to rebuild his shot to have a chance. I am not sure if its possible with how broken it is. At that point he is Odomes.

C'mon. you were a big Lon Kruger fan. How is this season any different than Kruger's teams from 2018 - 2021? We all want better, but your posts back then were defending those 2018-2021 squads...and that is exactly what we have in the 2024 team. We're all clamoring for a year which we don't go into March wondering if we're going to be .500 in conference or in the Dance - but we haven't had that type of year since 2016...long before most on this board even heard of Porter Moser.

Cincy absolutely would be in the tourney if Moser brought last year's OU squad into this season. Our sweep of them was the death nail.
Cincy may barely miss the tourney but they are definitely a tournament team imo.

Cincy may barely miss the tourney but they are definitely a tournament team imo.
I will disagree with you here. For the sake of good debate.

I think Cincy, with 17-13 and only one KenPom top-25 win on their resume. Quad1 (3-10) is similar to us...however Quad3 (3-2) is a big no no.
Unless they have a miracle run in them in the Big12 tournament, I would keep them out over several of the other bubblers.

Back