Future of Moser

Same reason I didn't want to hire Mike or Mark Stoops in football.
Mike Stoops, the last DC to win a NC at OU?

Weird flex.

It didn't work out the second time, but that doesn't all go on Mike Stoops. And Mark's teams have managed to field some pretty solid D's in the SEC.

Mike Stoops, the last DC to win a NC at OU?

Weird flex.

It didn't work out the second time, but that doesn't all go on Mike Stoops. And Mark's teams have managed to field some pretty solid D's in the SEC.

I think you missed the entire point of my post.

If Moser comes back next year they have a shot at being top 3 or 4 in the SEC and top 15-20 overall. Probably win close to 25. It won't be easy but you see the talent here going in the right direction. Especially after last year being a disaster and being stuck in the mud a couple years before that. Pressing a reset button would be a massive mistake.

If Moser comes back next year they have a shot at being top 3 or 4 in the SEC and top 15-20 overall. Probably win close to 25. It won't be easy but you see the talent here going in the right direction. Especially after last year being a disaster and being stuck in the mud a couple years before that. Pressing a reset button would be a massive mistake.
That all depends on who sticks around that has eligibility. I've heard things about the roster defections is going to be worse if Porter stays.

That all depends on who sticks around that has eligibility. I've heard things about the roster defections is going to be worse if Porter stays.

That is absurd.

Ultimately it will come down to if we can pay the going rate for guys like Moore, McCollum, Uzan, et al.

The SEC has 5 teams in the top 17. We know for sure we are losing Soares and Dart. Oweh and Los are disasters and who knows if we will hang onto Moore and JM. So far, we have a two-man recruiting class, only one of whom could be considered a high level talent. We are going to finish 8 or 9 in our current league. Unless we land a massive haul in the portal, I’m not sure how you spin that into a top 3-4 finish in a league that is comparable to the Big 12 at the top.

The SEC has 5 teams in the top 17. We know for sure we are losing Soares and Dart. Oweh and Los are disasters and who knows if we will hang onto Moore and JM. So far, we have a two-man recruiting class, only one of whom could be considered a high level talent. We are going to finish 8 or 9 in our current league. Unless we land a massive haul in the portal, I’m not sure how you spin that into a top 3-4 finish in a league that is comparable to the Big 12 at the top.

So poll rankings matter now? Sec only has 3 in top 17 in NET.

I think, if Moser has proven anything, he can find guys in the portal. His HS recruiting is just okay. Oweh and Los are not great by any means. Cooper and Cole didn’t even sniff the floor this year. But, if OU has to rely heavily on the portal I actually think Moser can find some more guys like Soares or Moore. Now, I hope that’s not the case. I would love to keep the core group attached. But I doubt that happens Moser or no Moser.

So poll rankings matter now? Sec only has 3 in top 17 in NET.
I could care less what their actual rankings are. If you want to suggest that we are likely to finish ahead of Tennessee, UK, Bama, or Auburn, feel free. Right now, we would be significantly underdogs to all of those teams on a neutral court, and it’s not like they are flashes in the pan. There are a couple other teams in that league who would be favored over us right now. I’m not saying it’s impossible for us to add talent in the offseason, but that’s pure conjecture. Right now, those programs are ahead of us.

Agreed. Joe C. needs to do all he can to keep him.

I think, if Moser has proven anything, he can find guys in the portal. His HS recruiting is just okay. Oweh and Los are not great by any means. Cooper and Cole didn’t even sniff the floor this year. But, if OU has to rely heavily on the portal I actually think Moser can find some more guys like Soares or Moore. Now, I hope that’s not the case. I would love to keep the core group attached. But I doubt that happens Moser or no Moser.

His high school recruiting has been very good. Those classes are still young and are not finished products. If we somehow get 4 years out of uzan, oweh, Cooper, Atak I think we would have some very good years.

His high school recruiting has been very good. Those classes are still young and are not finished products. If we somehow get 4 years out of uzan, oweh, Cooper, Atak I think we would have some very good years.
I like the look of what Atak can potentially bring.

It's 2024. With the portal and NIL, you are going to hear stuff like that after every season no matter how successful the season is or who the coach is. There are going to be players who think they can get more playing time or NIL money. There are going to be players who are afraid they are going to be recruited over and there are going to be players who don't connect with the coach. You might as well get used to it.

It's 2024. With the portal and NIL, you are going to hear stuff like that after every season no matter how successful the season is or who the coach is. There are going to be players who think they can get more playing time or NIL money. There are going to be players who are afraid they are going to be recruited over and there are going to be players who don't connect with the coach. You might as well get used to it.
Oh I'm used to it. But whether Porter stays or goes, it's rebuilding a roster and getting parts that work together. I just hope whoever is the coach can keep building talent through high school ranks and the portal.

Porter owns the SEC for some reason. I think we can finish top 4 there if we retain or pick up good pieces. We have proven that, outside of UK, we can beat SEC teams at a pretty lopsided rate with teams that were basement Big12 teams.

Yeah, this is the part about college basketball I'm never going to like going forward...7-8 new players every year. 20 years back, we had a great recruiting class (headed by Drew Lavender and Brandon Foust), but could only keep them for two years. THAT was hard enough to get used to. 40 years back we had Tim McCallister, Choo Kennedy, David Johnson, Dave Sieger and (reserve) Chuck Watson from one recruiting class who stayed for all four or (in Sieger's case) 5 years. While we all got used to the latter scenario being a current pipe dream, who would have thought keeping a bunch of players for even two years would become a similar pipe dream. Like you said, it doesn't matter who is coaching the team.

Porter owns the SEC for some reason. I think we can finish top 4 there if we retain or pick up good pieces. We have proven that, outside of UK, we can beat SEC teams at a pretty lopsided rate with teams that were basement Big12 teams.
The only reasonable explanation for this is small sample size.

6-2 is his record.
2-1 against Arkansas.

A lot would have to happen to finish in the top 3-4.

We're likely losing at least Godwin, Soares, and Darthard.

Hugely hasn't shown that he is worthy of the starting 5 spot.
Could lose somebody from Oweh, Uzan, JM.

If those three stay, how much improvement? What can we reasonably expect from Cooper, Cole, and the two incoming freshman with as little as they played this year?

We going to run off Keita?

Northweather is interesting, but from what I've seen we have a good shooting big man that is going to struggle to defend (slow feet), isn't really a rim protector, and isn't a great rebounder. Most of that stuff isn't likely to change a lot as in the coming years.

For 2024-2025 to look more promising, we really needed Uzan/Oweh to take bigger leaps forward this year, and for Cooper to get valuable playing time.

An argument could be made we played our best two players (certainly guards) off the bench for nearly the entire season, and now both are out of eligibility.

Back