Future of Moser

Curious, if we had won UCF, Tech...would people be happier?
Who wouldn't be happier if we won two more games? (Perhaps I misunderstood the question.)

Heck, I'd even be happier if we had beaten Tech and not laid an egg at ucf. Throw in wins (or even competitive losses) vs. texas and the worst KU team in many years and I'd be even happier still.

We were picked to finish 12th, behind OSU. Why are you so hard on Coach Moser? Your beloved Jayhawks were picked to win the league and finished 6th. Do you trash Self on the KU boards?
It's funny how ignorant you are about me. Out of curiosity, how many dozens of times have you been booed by the student section at KU because you are cheering for the opposing team, whether it is OU or a random nonconference opponent? How many family members and friends have you pissed off because your hatred for KU is so strong despite growing up surrounded by KU fans?

Why am I hard on Moser? Because he has done a bad job coaching the program that I have loved since I was a young kid sitting in my driveway at night hoping to get a faint AM radio signal so I could listen to our games in the days before every game was on TV.

Our losses based on NET ranking:

RankTeam
1​
Houston
7​
North Carolina
9​
Iowa State
14​
Baylor
18​
Kansas
18​
Kansas
25​
Texas
25​
Texas
30​
Texas Tech
40​
TCU
61​
UCF

8 are to Top25 teams. I find that fascinating. (all Q1 losses as well)

Curious, if we had won UCF, Tech...would people be happier?
Absolutely. That puts us two over .500 in the league and improves our seed by several spots. I'd also add that we were one of two teams to lose at home to the zombie Jayhawks. Yes, we were missing Soares. They also had McCullar playing on one leg and he was a nonfactor against us. That is a game we have to win against a team that routinely got their butts handed to them outside AFH this year.

Absolutely. That puts us two over .500 in the league and improves our seed by several spots. I'd also add that we were one of two teams to lose at home to the zombie Jayhawks. Yes, we were missing Soares. They also had McCullar playing on one leg and he was a nonfactor against us. That is a game we have to win against a team that routinely got their butts handed to them outside AFH this year.

We were missing Hugley, also. Hugley matches up better with KU than Godwin. Hugley is also a better high post big man than Godwin. Ku stopped defending Godwin completely because he was no threat.

Yeah Godwin is good at times but it feels like we get owned if the opposition has a true 5 or one that can hit a 3. Hugley / Godwin was a good mix between them as Hugley could step in there. His loss hurt.

Why am I hard on Moser? Because he has done a bad job coaching the program

You might not like the guy but it is ridiculous to say he has done a bad job, unless you think Lon did a bad job for all but 1 season.

The reality is there are much bigger issues with the program than the head coach. Lon had to deal with it too.

You might not like the guy but it is ridiculous to say he has done a bad job, unless you think Lon did a bad job for all but 1 season.

The reality is there are much bigger issues with the program than the head coach. Lon had to deal with it too.
Lon had three better seasons. A few comparable (to this year). And some that were worse.

I wasn't big on Lon's tenure after the FF year. By OU's standards, those were 5 not very good years.

Edit: And that is part of my problem with Moser. What is becoming acceptable for our program, isn't acceptable to me. And honestly, I think it's probably about Moser's ceiling. I want a coach that can be pretty consistent, but with a higher ceiling. Off the cuff I want 22-25 win regular seasons. I want top half of the conference for sure, really I want top 1/3 most of the time. I'm different, but NCAA Tourney results don't matter as much to me. Make it enough with decent seeds and I'm likely to be happy with the results, even if we lose a little earlier than we should at times.

Huh? You mean the 10 seasons that Lon made the tourney were comparable to PM maybe making it once in three years? Including the year Lon made the Sweet 16 and the multiple other years we won a game in the tourney? Again, don't give me the crap about our overall record. I'm confident Lon could have scheduled more wins if he wanted to play a bunch of Q4 games like Moser prefers.

Yeah Godwin is good at times but it feels like we get owned if the opposition has a true 5 or one that can hit a 3. Hugley / Godwin was a good mix between them as Hugley could step in there. His loss hurt.
Godwin is a starting G5 center in the grand scheme of things. I am happy when he has a good game. He should be the backup here. We just don't have a proper 5.

Some of his fouls are mind-numbingly dumb.

Last edited:
Who wouldn't be happier if we won two more games? (Perhaps I misunderstood the question.)

Heck, I'd even be happier if we had beaten Tech and not laid an egg at ucf. Throw in wins (or even competitive losses) vs. texas and the worst KU team in many years and I'd be even happier still.
Was typing in a hurry to get the kid at daycare.

I suppose it was a dumb question, but the major theme being. We should have beaten tech and if not for a lucky shot, would have had Houston. Same could be said for OSU game luck.

I just think a few points were the difference between some mediocrity debate and most happy with this season.

Huh? You mean the 10 seasons that Lon made the tourney were comparable to PM maybe making it once in three years? Including the year Lon made the Sweet 16 and the multiple other years we won a game in the tourney? Again, don't give me the crap about our overall record. I'm confident Lon could have scheduled more wins if he wanted to play a bunch of Q4 games like Moser prefers.

That’s correct, the vast majority of Lon’s seasons were very similar to this season and season 1 of Moser’s tenure.

@TEvans4Three has put side by side KenPom ratings comparing the 2 and the metrics do not support your opinion.

That’s correct, the vast majority of Lon’s seasons were very similar to this season and season 1 of Moser’s tenure.

@TEvans4Three has put side by side KenPom ratings comparing the 2 and the metrics do not support your opinion.
It’s very easy in college basketball — you either make the tourney, or you don’t. As of now, if we make it this year, his best accomplishment will be the equivalent of a below average Kruger season. It’s hilarious that you are trying to point to metrics like NET to compare things that have already happened. Those tools are intended to help the committee select the field. The 2022 tournament already happened.

Every coach at a quality P5 school goes into the season with the goal of making the tournament. On the day Moser was hired, no one here would have been satisfied with two missed tournaments and one potential bid. And they wouldn’t have qualified that by saying, well, as long as NET was ok one of those other seasons, that’s fine. I mean, we will likely get in this year despite our NET. If you prioritize NET to making the tournament, I guess you should consider this season worse than 2022.

It’s very easy in college basketball — you either make the tourney, or you don’t. As of now, if we make it this year, his best accomplishment will be the equivalent of a below average Kruger season. It’s hilarious that you are trying to point to metrics like NET to compare things that have already happened. Those tools are intended to help the committee select the field. The 2022 tournament already happened.

Every coach at a quality P5 school goes into the season with the goal of making the tournament. On the day Moser was hired, no one here would have been satisfied with two missed tournaments and one potential bid. And they wouldn’t have qualified that by saying, well, as long as NET was ok one of those other seasons, that’s fine. I mean, we will likely get in this year despite our NET. If you prioritize NET to making the tournament, I guess you should consider this season worse than 2022.
Actually, my expectation was a tournament in year 3. Given the roster turnover, late start recruiting, etc., I expected nothing the first two years.

The fact that they SHOULD have made the tournament year one was overachieving.

The fact that they WILL make the tournament year three has them right on schedule for me. No more, no less.

lol with a wildly more athletic roster. Maybe next year we can bring in another couple great athletes and crack the 190s!

If Moser coached the 1990's UNLV teams they'd have had to rename them the UNLV Moderately Paced Rebels. :)

If Moser coached the 1990's UNLV teams they'd have had to rename them the UNLV Moderately Paced Rebels. :)
Tempo ratings for reference:

TeamOverallConfAdjEMEMrankAdjOOrankAdjDDrankAdjTTrankConf SOSSOSrank
TCU20-11
9-9​
17.33​
33​
116.6​
31​
99.3​
40​
69.8​
63​