Future of Moser

Unless you hire a unicorn coach (rare breed of coach who can achieve amazing things ( by OU basketball standards bfore tiring of tlting st bsketbsll gisnts and even AVERAGE SCHOOLS TO WHOM BASKETBALL IS WELL SUPPORTED .If you take OUt the 24 year span of Tubbs -Simpson andthe Sooners are only a blip on NCAA men's basketball .We are not a basketball school and I learned a long time ago just to enjoy what success we do achieve.

I think you underrate the OU men's basketball program. First off, if you take away most non-blue bloods top two head coaches, you can make the same argument. The thing is, even if you took out those 26 years of Tubbs / Sampson, OU still has 3 Final Fours (one in the modern era). You also have four different head coaches who went to the Sweet 16 or beyond - three in the modern era. That is better than most schools without their top two head coaches. How many schools (counting blue bloods) have a run of five consecutive head coaches take at least one team to the Sweet 16 or beyond? I can think of THREE - Kansas, UCLA and Oklahoma. There may be one or two more, but I think I made my point.

I think you underrate the OU men's basketball program. First off, if you take away most non-blue bloods top two head coaches, you can make the same argument. The thing is, even if you took out those 26 years of Tubbs / Sampson, OU still has 3 Final Fours (one in the modern era). You also have four different head coaches who went to the Sweet 16 or beyond - three in the modern era. That is better than most schools without their top two head coaches. How many schools (counting blue bloods) have a run of five consecutive head coaches take at least one team to the Sweet 16 or beyond? I can think of THREE - Kansas, UCLA and Oklahoma. There may be one or two more, but I think I made my point.
I think you may have made up for it at the end of your post, but we have more than 4 coaches go to the Sweet 16 as our last 5 coaches have made it.

Four different coaches made the 5 FF visits.

Your point is 100% true- our history and success is more than just Billy and Sampson.

Maybe Moser was hedging with DePaul but now he knows he's in the tournament and has another year. He didn't just hear all the rumors.

Last edited:
I guess I know what I will be checking this afternoon...dang you scratching the stat itch

I think you may have made up for it at the end of your post, but we have more than 4 coaches go to the Sweet 16 as our last 5 coaches have made it.

We've had four total if you do not count Tubbs and Sampson...just stating that OU hoops is more than just those two guys - though they are obviously a huge part of it. Now, if Moser can make a run to the Sweet 16, that would make 6 straight. UCLA is at 5...Kansas is at 6 - but to their credit, they only have 6 head coaches since the start of the NCAA Tournament.

I didn't mention it in my prior post since these two stats apply to Tubbs and Sampson - but they represent the OU hoops tradition. There was a point in time (end of 2006 season) which OU had the nation's longest consecutive postseason streak (NCAA or NIT) - 25 years. They also had a 7-year run (1984-1990) which they lost a total of two home games. They were so dominant that Coach K decided to play there to toughen up his team in hopes of winning Duke's first title (which they did).

There is a lot to be proud of in OU men's basketball history. We all have our fair share of healthy disagreements, but one thing I appreciate about this Board is that all of us who post here want the underrated tradition to stay strong and keep winning!

Good for Coach Moser. Sounds like he used DePaul to get himself more money and more NIL money. Not a huge fan of him yet, but I root for him because he is OU’s coach. I want to see if he can keep his players this offseason, add a few more pieces, and see how he fares in the SEC. I mean we overachieved this season in my opinion.

Good for Coach Moser. Sounds like he used DePaul to get himself more money and more NIL money. Not a huge fan of him yet, but I root for him because he is OU’s coach. I want to see if he can keep his players this offseason, add a few more pieces, and see how he fares in the SEC. I mean we overachieved this season in my opinion.
We finished with a better record than four teams in our league: Cincy (new to the league and not exactly coming in off a great season), WVA (had to fire their drunk coach in the middle of the summer and name an interim coach), UCF (new league and far from a powerhouse), and an awful OSU squad. If you think we overachieved, that means you think at least one of those teams should have finished ahead of us if not for something that the coaching staff did to get us to do outperform your expectations. I would love to hear which of those teams you think should have been better than us.

We finished with a better record than four teams in our league: Cincy (new to the league and not exactly coming in off a great season), WVA (had to fire their drunk coach in the middle of the summer and name an interim coach), UCF (new league and far from a powerhouse), and an awful OSU squad. If you think we overachieved, that means you think at least one of those teams should have finished ahead of us if not for something that the coaching staff did to get us to do outperform your expectations. I would love to hear which of those teams you think should have been better than us.
sigh

By any stretch of the imagination we have fared better than predicted this year.

And it's so convenient that you leave out KState from your analysis. Same conference record and we beat them head to head. So there are five teams behind us.
If we beat TCU, we will finish ahead of them as well...putting us right in the middle of the big 12.

You conveniently leave out that we finished tied with Kansas State which was picked ahead of us and only one game behind Texas and TCU which were both picked WAY ahead of us.

I'm not saying we overachieved, but we definitely did not underachieve.

You conveniently leave out that we finished tied with Kansas State which was picked ahead of us and only one game behind Texas and TCU which were both picked WAY ahead of us.

and have the tie breaker over ksu ... I 100% promise you is ksu had the tie breaker it would have been brought up that we were behind them

He also conveniently left out half of the season 😂

Our losses based on NET ranking:

RankTeam
1​
Houston
7​
North Carolina
9​
Iowa State
14​
Baylor
18​
Kansas
18​
Kansas
25​
Texas
25​
Texas
30​
Texas Tech
40​
TCU
61​
UCF

8 are to Top25 teams. I find that fascinating. (all Q1 losses as well)

Curious, if we had won UCF, Tech...would people be happier?

Back