Good rule change

WichitaSooner

Reaction score
Who knows if it will be correctly called by refs, but the NCAA changed the charge/block rule yesterday. Now, a defender will have to be in position to draw the charge at the moment the offensive players plants his foot to go airborne. If he isn’t, the rule now instructs refs to call a block.

I’m sure some refs will still reward defenders who slide under the offensive player, or maybe they will enforce it correctly at the start of the season but then revert back. But anything that leads to fewer charges being called is a good thing.

Who knows if it will be correctly called by refs, but the NCAA changed the charge/block rule yesterday. Now, a defender will have to be in position to draw the charge at the moment the offensive players plants his foot to go airborne. If he isn’t, the rule now instructs refs to call a block.

I’m sure some refs will still reward defenders who slide under the offensive player, or maybe they will enforce it correctly at the start of the season but then revert back. But anything that leads to fewer charges being called is a good thing.

Thanks for sharing, Wichita. Agree this is a good change.

I don't know. I often see offensive players seeking out contact, lowering their shoulders and barreling out of control into the paint, and still getting the blocking call. I think flops are a bigger issue than charges. There are many block calls that I think should be charges.

Looks as though I'm in the minority, though.

I can't stand the plays where the offensive player jumps and shoots a floater or passes it and then comes down on the defender a full second after the shot/pass...and then it's called a charge. It just gift the defender for not actually trying to challenge the play. I hope this gets rid of that.

I can't stand the plays where the offensive player jumps and shoots a floater or passes it and then comes down on the defender a full second after the shot/pass...and then it's called a charge. It just gift the defender for not actually trying to challenge the play. I hope this gets rid of that.

Anything to kill the charge. Its not a tool for the defense. Its a player control (lack thereof) call. Its been subtly ruining the game for decades

Anything to kill the charge. Its not a tool for the defense. Its a player control (lack thereof) call. Its been subtly ruining the game for decades

That it has!

The rule didn’t change, officials just don’t apply it the way it’s supposed to be called. When defensive players fail to establish a legal guarding position before the offensive player leaves his feet for a layup or to make a shot or a pass, a block should be called. All too often, officials give the benefit of the doubt to the defender.

Hopefully, this new “emphasis on the rule” will balance the scale again and stop the ridiculous and incorrect charge calls!

I think refs enjoy calling the charge. Most of them are over dramatic when calling it so they can get a rush out of the home crowds reaction. It’s like they are adrenaline junkies and the charge call is adrenaline.

I think refs enjoy calling the charge. Most of them are over dramatic when calling it so they can get a rush out of the home crowds reaction. It’s like they are adrenaline junkies and the charge call is adrenaline.

Agreed. I hate it when officials think the game is about them!

That it has!

The rule didn’t change, officials just don’t apply it the way it’s supposed to be called. When defensive players fail to establish a legal guarding position before the offensive player leaves his feet for a layup or to make a shot or a pass, a block should be called. All too often, officials give the benefit of the doubt to the defender.

Hopefully, this new “emphasis on the rule” will balance the scale again and stop the ridiculous and incorrect charge calls!

This one is an actual rule change, not just a point of emphasis. But I still don’t trust them to get it right often enough lol.

This one is an actual rule change, not just a point of emphasis. But I still don’t trust them to get it right often enough lol.

I didn’t read the article, so I take your word for it!

You’re also right about the officials. They typically make an effort to get the calls right early on, before going back to business as usual by mid season.

Back