Harrison Barnes a bust?

Well, he will still be a lottery pick (more than likely). So, I would have loved to anyone of that caliber or potential at our university.

I think not having Marshall in there has hurt him. He doesn't seem to be doing a very good job of getting his own shots. He can probably get those fall away jumpers anytime he wants. Wasn't he touted a POY before he even played one game? If ever a kid could really benefit from four years it's him. The NBA is full of talented big guys that do what he's doing.

Id take him here in a heartbeat. Would he be considered a bust since he was the #1 player in high school and was just an honorable mention AA in his soph season at NC? I think there was way to much pressure put on him being a preseason AA before he even stepped on a college court. It would almost be impossible to live up to that hype and expectations. Since he did not live up to it he is labeled as a bust.

Bust is a stretch...media put him as preseason first team AA before he even stepped foot on a collegiate floor. The expectations were astounding, Barnes may have had a small hand in that, but a majority is from the media.

Bust given his hype and expectations, but he is still a solid player.

He may luck out and still get drafted in the lottery, but I heard/read the other day that NBA GM's are souring on him. Calling him one dimensional, not a kid you can build around, and not clutch. I really haven't been that impressed from what I've seen of him this year.

Bust is a stretch...media put him as preseason first team AA before he even stepped foot on a collegiate floor. The expectations were astounding, Barnes may have had a small hand in that, but a majority is from the media.

I agree. The media is at fault, but The Atlantic has a good article about how Barnes was responsible for his hype. That from the time he was 16 he had been focused on brand-building more than basketball. The article gave me flashabcks to his silly press conference announcing that he was going to UNC. It's worth a read, but the message of the article is clear: the way to build your brand as a basketball player is through focusing on basketball not marketing.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2012/04/moneyballer/8911/

Even as the #1 rated player, how can you be a bust when averaging over 17 ppg and over 5 boards while shooting 36% from three in 29 minutes as a sophemore?

Even as the #1 rated player, how can you be a bust when averaging over 17 ppg and over 5 boards while shooting 36% from three in 29 minutes as a sophemore?

Because those 17 points are very efficient, and he struggled against better competition. Go check some of his game logs. When it takes you 13-14 shots to get your 15-17 points, playing at the pace UNC plays, that isn't overly impressive. His FG% was worse than (and his 3FG%, obviously), was worse than Pledger's this year, and people complained about his non-three point game all season.

I agree. The media is at fault, but The Atlantic has a good article about how Barnes was responsible for his hype. That from the time he was 16 he had been focused on brand-building more than basketball. The article gave me flashabcks to his silly press conference announcing that he was going to UNC. It's worth a read, but the message of the article is clear: the way to build your brand as a basketball player is through focusing on basketball not marketing.

I find the article pretty funny, when he was coming out of HS, all of the recruiting services were lauding him because he was "all business".

I just can't label him a bust. He led UNC in scoring this year as a sophemore on a talented team.

It would be interesting to dig up all of the past #1 rated players and compare them to Barnes' production

He's a stud. He is one of the best players in the nation as a sophmore. Had their entire backcourt not gone down they might have won the whole thing this year.

If he played for a team without bigtime players like Zeller and Henson he might have averaged 20ppg.

I think he'll be one of the best NBA players out of the current college ranks.

He's a bust because he had a couple poor games in the NCAA with a scrub running the point?

Instead of being the best player in his class he was probably about number 5, and that makes him a bust? That is just comical.

I can't imagine a worse way for a basketball player to build his brand than by constantly talking about his desire to build his brand. Even if that that's your goal, the best way to achieve it is by at least pretending that all you care about is being the best basketball player you can be so that you can win championships. For such a seemingly intelligent kid, he has no self-awareness.

if a bust is scoring lots of points, being a plus defender and going in the top 10 of the NBA draft after 2 years of college .. i hope OU gets lots and lots of busts

He isn't a bust but he isn't as great as advertised. He doesn't shoot well enough at this time to be a great player. He is the second best player from Ames, Iowa that year though. Dylan McDermott has turned into a star. It helps when the ball goes in the basket.

At OU, he would probably average 25 points per game.

At UNC, he is on a team with multiple scorers. He has had some subpar games at key times, however, and that's been the criticism.

He isn't a bust but he isn't as great as advertised. He doesn't shoot well enough at this time to be a great player. He is the second best player from Ames, Iowa that year though. Dylan McDermott has turned into a star. It helps when the ball goes in the basket.
He's been a star for quite a while now. It is amazing however, that he finds enough time away from American Horror Story to play 30+ games of hoops per season. :D

He is a better version of Cam Clark IMO. Neither have lived up to expectations. Barnes expectations were of a superstar.

Back