How long do we wait on Terrence Jones?

Sooner23

Reaction score
I've been looking up some info on Ricardo Ratliffe -- the top-ranked Juco player -- and I like what I'm reading.

He played with Steven Pledger on the Boo Williams AAU team and I found an article where he put 23 on Daniel Orton and Athletes First back in the day, and he's being billed as the #1 juco now and starting to get looks from the Pitinos of the world. He is considering Louisville, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Clemson, Memphis, Alabama, Arkansas and Missouri, and we obviously have a good in with Pledger.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have Terrence Jones. But it would be really nice to avoid a Jai Lucas situation here. Jones just has so many schools on his list, two of which are closer to home.

So how long do we wait on Jones before we put the fullcourt press on a guy like Ratliffe?

Here's what his coach said about him in a Scout article.....

"He's like a 4/5," Ryan said. "He's so skilled underneath the basket. He's just really hard to guard. His last three games he's had 36, 40 and 34 points and 15, 19, and 19 rebounds. He's shooting 75 percent from the field and he's made about 20 three's."

Besides Louisville, Ryan said Arkansas, Alabama, Missouri, Clemson and Cincinnati are also in the mix with Ratliffe, the national junior college Player of the Week last week.

I'd take either one of those guys at any point. But I'm desperate for big men, so maybe thats just me.

Plus to me it doesn't matter how good Ratliffe is in junior collge, Jones could beat him out or play with him if Tiny leaves.

We wait on Terrence Jones until the end of the spring period. He's well worth the wait, and we won't be hung out try (ie no point guard) ala the Jai Lucas situation.

The key signing is this class imo is a DEFENSIVE big. I hope Capel and company find a guy that can rebound and defend.

If I were Capel I would be putting the full-court press on Ratliffe right now... He is a scoring machine, being recruited by everyone, and would come in and start next year right off the bat.

I'll take my guy Pittman against Ricky Ratcliffe anyday.

OU's likely starting lineup next year:

PG: Soph
SG: Soph
SF: Frosh
PF: Soph
C: Soph

If OU isnt going to get their primary target (Jones), they need to get a juco. He can play right away, is plenty talented, etc.

Plus to me it doesn't matter how good Ratliffe is in junior collge, Jones could beat him out or play with him if Tiny leaves.

It matters how good Jones is in high school but it doesnt matter how good Ratliffe was in high school and junior college?

I've been looking up some info on Ricardo Ratliffe -- the top-ranked Juco player -- and I like what I'm reading.

He played with Steven Pledger on the Boo Williams AAU team and I found an article where he put 23 on Daniel Orton and Athletes First back in the day, and he's being billed as the #1 juco now and starting to get looks from the Pitinos of the world. He is considering Louisville, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Clemson, Memphis, Alabama, Arkansas and Missouri, and we obviously have a good in with Pledger.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have Terrence Jones. But it would be really nice to avoid a Jai Lucas situation here. Jones just has so many schools on his list, two of which are closer to home.

So how long do we wait on Jones before we put the fullcourt press on a guy like Ratliffe?

Here's what his coach said about him in a Scout article.....

"He's like a 4/5," Ryan said. "He's so skilled underneath the basket. He's just really hard to guard. His last three games he's had 36, 40 and 34 points and 15, 19, and 19 rebounds. He's shooting 75 percent from the field and he's made about 20 three's."

Besides Louisville, Ryan said Arkansas, Alabama, Missouri, Clemson and Cincinnati are also in the mix with Ratliffe, the national junior college Player of the Week last week.

I say WAIT for Terrence Jones.

Arizona is having more contact with Ricardo. :dance005:

I'd take both or whoever first and then if Jones still wants to come take him as well. Over recruit by one scholly. You never know Tiny could go pro, someone could transfer whatever. Jones is too big a talent to be messing around.

I personally think there is room for two post players to come in on next years rosters, unless there is a high school post player Capel likes better it is probably time to go after a Juco. Don't see why signing a true 4-5 big man juco is going to affect a versatile kid like Terrance.

There's probably 3 more spots available depending on what they do with Bary Honore.

To OP, I'd keep taking kids that I think can help the program...wating is fine, but you ALWAYS have to do what you think is best for the program. I think a kid would understand that and also that there are ways of taking that approach without being heavy-handed. A kid that is really into a school or friendly with a coach will be up front in this type of deal.

This is a new day in recruiting. When you are waiting on the best you wait for the best. So get used to it. The important thing to do is have a plan B. I'm sure Coach Capel has one. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!

I don't see the problem. OU has the following guys coming back (assuming no transfers):

TMG, Pledger, Willis, Davis, Allen, Hardrcik, Gallon and Fitzgerald. Cam and TJ have committed (two more backcourt guys). That leaves three scholarships. OU can go after a Juco guy just in case Jones falls through and then they still have two scholarships for Jones, McCullum, Lamb, etc. What I don't think OU should do is sign both a juco guy and a high school guy unless and until they know that Jones, McCullum Lamb, etc. have all decided to go somewhere else.

Be patient everyone jones will.I seen the kid Cam,play lastnite against Wylie high,he had 24pts 14rbs,3asst,2stls,4fouls called on him but i only seen one true foul ,the refs was horrible.

Be patient everyone jones will.I seen the kid Cam,play lastnite against Wylie high,he had 24pts 14rbs,3asst,2stls,4fouls called on him but i only seen one true foul ,the refs was horrible.

Thanks for posting Cam's stats, Chico! Any idea how TJ did in his first game?

Back