I can’t get enough...

AdaSooner

Admin Emeritus
Reaction score
I can’t get enough of watching C J Noland videos! Leave him open from deep and he’ll make you pay by knocking down shots. Guard him on the perimeter and he’ll use his above average handles and his uncanny ability to drive through traffic to finish at the rim. He’s so skilled, clever and strong he’s almost unstoppable.

I tried to think of an OU player in my recent memory to compare him to, but darned if I could come up with anyone. His size, strength and skills, especially in the way he drives through traffic is like a running back who finds an opening that seems to magically appear when none was there a second or two ago.

Those skills were on full display in CJ’s 31 point overtime win against national power Duncanville. Watch this video and you’ll see what I mean. Does he remind you of a former OU player?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NAL0WMDY00

I don't want to temper your enthusiasm but I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've heard people hyping recruits to the extreme and then they get here and they aren't all that. How many times have we been burned? I hope you're right but I never really care about watching high school videos of kids and comparing them to anyone. To me recruiting is as inexact a science as stock trading.

I don't want to temper your enthusiasm but I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've heard people hyping recruits to the extreme and then they get here and they aren't all that. How many times have we been burned? I hope you're right but I never really care about watching high school videos of kids and comparing them to anyone. To me recruiting is as inexact a science as stock trading.

Agree. I am not getting my hopes up.

Not gonna lie...those highlights don't do a lot for me. Doesn't seem that athletic and a little thick

I can’t get enough of watching C J Noland videos! Leave him open from deep and he’ll make you pay by knocking down shots. Guard him on the perimeter and he’ll use his above average handles and his uncanny ability to drive through traffic to finish at the rim. He’s so skilled, clever and strong he’s almost unstoppable.

I tried to think of an OU player in my recent memory to compare him to, but darned if I could come up with anyone. His size, strength and skills, especially in the way he drives through traffic is like a running back who finds an opening that seems to magically appear when none was there a second or two ago.

Those skills were on full display in CJ’s 31 point overtime win against national power Duncanville. Watch this video and you’ll see what I mean. Does he remind you of a former OU player?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NAL0WMDY00

Kind of ironic with the name similarity but I think of Nolan Johnson of the Sampson era. Similar size and great handles but I think CJ may be a better shooter and have more upside potential. I used to love when Sampson would spread the floor and let Nolan go 1 on 1. He was almost unstoppable unless you fouled him and then he shot 81% from the line. Let's hope CJ can be that kind of player!

I'm with you, Ada. I love what we've seen from Noland and I can't wait to see him in crimson and cream.

And I hope I never see the day that I won't let myself be excited about a promising recruit. Honestly, if that day ever comes, just put me out of my misery.

The good news is... He's done it vs Top level competition. He isnt playing REC league teams.

Great feet, he is thick but doesnt hurt him speed wise.

We'll find out a year or so.

LOL. Enthusiasm tempering from the usual suspects.

I'm with you, Ada. I love what we've seen from Noland and I can't wait to see him in crimson and cream.

And I hope I never see the day that I won't let myself be excited about a promising recruit. Honestly, if that day ever comes, just put me out of my misery.

I was super excited about Matt Freeman.

I get being leary of recruiting hype but it's all about expectations. I don't think anybody is saying he will eventually be Big 12 POY or even a sure fire All Conference player but given the projects we have signed recently, I will be glad to see what a player that some are saying might be the Texas Gatorade POY can do for us!!

And back to the original question.........I still like the Nolan Johnson comparison!

I was super excited about Matt Freeman.

Bc the one dumb post from Franschilla? Or the 4 star ranking? I didn't get too jacked about Freeman. I wish we could get a stud gonzaga euro player someday

Last edited:
That's an questionable comparison (to put it mildly). But I suspect you know that.

Is it? Wasn't he a 4 star recruit? What were others on this board saying about him?

I actually think it's unfair to over-hype recruits because you can't really tell what they're going to be in college based on what they do against high school competition.

(There are a few notable exceptions of course like the Lebron-level athletes)

This is from an early Freeman thread. I was excited.

Originally Posted by lexusooner View Post
If Freeman is a legit 6'9" he will be very handy with his ability to shoot the rock. If he can consistently drop the 3 ball at that height, he'll automatically be a nuisance on D due to his height and length and a if he can snatch 5 or 6 boards a game he will play a major role.
Rival.com's Eric Bossi made the quote below about Freeman right after he committed to OU. It has been posted before, but I'm repeating it here for anyone who might have missed it. When Eric Bossi speaks, I listen. IMO, he's one of the best recruiting analyst in the business:

Quote:
Matthew Freeman can really play. I wrote about him back in June when he came to the States with New Zealand's three x three team and was planning to do a new update on him this week after seeing him again at Adidas Nations.

He is a legit 6'9" has a very solid frame and is a good athlete. He should be able to add 20 pounds in the weight room without it costing him any flexibility or athleticism.

He plays hard, is a very good passer and is a lights out shooter for a guy with his size. He's cut out of the mold of NBA player Ryan Anderson.

The reason that he is a non ranked 4-star is because he does not regularly play competition in the States and we don't put International kids into the Rivals150 unless they are regularly playing the competition that we know and have scouted.

Put it this way, if the kid were playing in the U.S. right now or had been regularly competing against kids on the summer circuit here in the States, he would be at least a top 50 type prospect.

Very nice get for the Sooners.

Is it? Wasn't he a 4 star recruit? What were others on this board saying about him?

I actually think it's unfair to over-hype recruits because you can't really tell what they're going to be in college based on what they do against high school competition.

(There are a few notable exceptions of course like the Lebron-level athletes)

Their styles of plays are as different as night and day. And Noland has been competing and excelling against top-notch competition in texas, not New Zealand.

A comment praising Freeman from some national commentator (I don't think it was Fraschilla) made some hopeful about Freeman, but other than the four stars, he and Noland have literaily nothing in common.

Their styles of plays are as different as night and day. And Noland has been competing and excelling against top-notch competition in texas, not New Zealand.

A comment praising Freeman from some national commentator (I don't think it was Fraschilla) made some hopeful about Freeman, but other than the four stars, he and Noland have literaily nothing in common.

I'm not comparing the two players. Of course we know they're totally different now. I'm comparing the hype. Go back and search the early threads if you don't believe me.

Thanks, usedtobe1!

I think OU got a steal when Matt Freeman decided to be a Sooner. He has unique skills for a young man his size in that he can post up smaller players or knock down shots at an impressive rate from three point range. If some of Ryan's determination and toughness rubs off on Matt, he's going to be special down the road a ways.

I realize I'm the only one who said he might start his freshmen season, a bold and perhaps a bit over-the-top prediction no one else seems to agree with. No big deal if I'm wrong. But, of one thing I'm reasonably certain, he will get quality minutes off of the bench his first year at OU. I don't see how a 6' 9" kid who can knock down shots from the perimeter the way he does, stays on the bench too long. Yes, he needs to add some muscle to his frame. He's also got from now to the start of the season in November to work out with the team and to get bigger and stronger in OU's conditioning program.

There's nothing wrong with hyping prospects but I take every one of these kinds of posts with a big grain of salt.

I'm not comparing the two players. Of course we know they're totally different now. I'm comparing the hype. Go back and search the early threads if you don't believe me.

Again, excitement about Freeman was based on comments from "experts." Excitement about Noland is based on seeing him excel against top opponents.

If you can't move past a disappointing recruit from, what, five years ago and appreciate what we're seeing from a future Sooner based on his play against some of the best teams in the state of texas, I don't know what to tell you.

Again, excitement about Freeman was based on comments from "experts." Excitement about Noland is based on seeing him excel against top opponents.

If you can't move past a disappointing recruit from, what, five years ago and appreciate what we're seeing from a future Sooner based on his play against some of the best teams in the state of texas, I don't know what to tell you.

Again, I'm not going to get excited by high school highlight videos. We've been down that road before too. I really hope he's the next Buddy Hield or even a guy that plays lot of minutes and produces but I'm just not going to get excited yet because it's recruiting and I don't get out over my skis because of hype.

Back