Is Willie going to have to come back?

I live too far away to know much about the real Willie Warren or whether or not he's going to class. But I'll admit that I hate it for kids his age, who don't seem to be anywhere ready, get drafter higher at 19 than at 21 when they've proven themselves.

I guess living out here, I also think about J.R. Giddens and how he was talked about as a one-and-done player after his freshman year at KU. But that kid was nowhere near emotionally ready for the pros, given how he handled himself between then and his fifth year of college, at UNM. He probably "cost himself money" by not going into the draft as a freshman. But, it's almost scary to think about what probably would have happened to him in the long run (I'm guessing legal troubles, at the very least), due to that immaturity.

It has always been like that. I am surprised you guys are surprised about players not showing for class. I had classes with many bball players and they would show 3 times tops just to get the test and take it home with the professor saying bring it back when you can. That's just how it is....

It has always been like that. I am surprised you guys are surprised about players not showing for class. I had classes with many bball players and they would show 3 times tops just to get the test and take it home with the professor saying bring it back when you can. That's just how it is....

Oh thats nice isn't it. Take the test home and bring it back another time. How freakin stupid is that?

And Dave Seiger made a 4.0 in electrical engineering. (If you never knew an engineering major at OU you cannot truly appreciate how impressive this is) Not all basketball players blow off class. Renzi Stone was a very good student. AJ was a good student.

I had always heard WW had a pretty strong mom. It is unfortunate he does not listen to her. I seriously doubt she is telling him to blow off class. (She got a college degree playing basketball with a child - when I was 18 I had trouble being mature enough to stay in school and was not playing sports and did not have a child).

Im torn on this issue, I really think that if he were to come back it wouldn't hurt him or us. Now, if hes not going to class hes already decided that hes gone and this is totally moot. However, I understand that there is an obvious "chemistry" problem and I know that is not going to help us next year. Basically Im going to not care one way or the other b/c I see the positives and the negatives from both sides. I do know that he can play though and thats what i keep going back to in my mind

His short comings on the basketbal court will not be corrected by coming back to college...he might as well put his name into the draft and get paid to work full-time.

Arrrggh!!! I may be wrong on some of this and if so then correct me but it really irks me that teams like KU get to pass up on guys like Warren because AND ONLY BECAUSE their fanbase is larger and better.

A large rabid fan base attracts elite players which in turn wins you a lot of games which results in an attractive winning tradition over years and years. In football it's just the opposite, OU'S is larger and better than KU's. Guys like Warren OU will take in a SECOND while KU will shop for better (X). I heard all the rumors about Warren during his recruitment. Don't think for a second that just because KU had 'an official offer' for Warren that they HAD to or it was certain they would take him. I know Baylor and other programs offered too and I was THRILLED when we landed him but still, it was a risk that KU, UNC, Duke, etc., don't have to take. They were smart or lucky I guess. You pick. Warren could have worked out differently. Meanwhile we get him and here he is loafing around with an attitude that he just doesn't really care about the program and what shape he leaves it in once he moves on. His attitude off the court and particularly IN CLASS (if he goes) has certainly carried over into his basketball life (CLEAR AS DAY!!!) but what's worse is it carries over into Sooner fans lives as well. How can you love a kid and root for a kid that doesn't even try???

Ok flame me... I deserve it. :(

Last edited:
His short comings on the basketbal court will not be corrected by coming back to college...he might as well put his name into the draft and get paid to work full-time.

Agreed and moreover; you can throw any other player that doesn't go to class, talks on his cell phone in the corner of class, doesn't care about the program or the fans, etc., on the bus with him. I'd rather lose every game than sit there and have to watch someone loaf around.

You are assuming he gets drafted and that he would work full time. ;)

You are assuming he gets drafted and that he would work full time. ;)

If for some reason he falls out of the second round, he goes overseas and makes some money for a while, which I think is an interesting topic. WW would absolutely crumble in the Euro basketball system, IMHO.

Arrrggh!!! I may be wrong on some of this and if so then correct me but it really irks me that teams like KU get to pass up on guys like Warren because AND ONLY BECAUSE their fanbase is larger and better.

A large rabid fan base attracts elite players which in turn wins you a lot of games which results in an attractive winning tradition over years and years. In football it's just the opposite, OU'S is larger and better than KU's. Guys like Warren OU will take in a SECOND while KU will shop for better (X). I heard all the rumors about Warren during his recruitment. Don't think for a second that just because KU had 'an official offer' for Warren that they HAD to or it was certain they would take him. I know Baylor and other programs offered too and I was THRILLED when we landed him but still, it was a risk that KU, UNC, Duke, etc., don't have to take. They were smart or lucky I guess. You pick. Warren could have worked out differently. Meanwhile we get him and here he is loafing around with an attitude that he just doesn't really care about the program and what shape he leaves it in once he moves on. His attitude off the court and particularly IN CLASS (if he goes) has certainly carried over into his basketball life (CLEAR AS DAY!!!) but what's worse is it carries over into Sooner fans lives as well. How can you love a kid and root for a kid that doesn't even try???

I won't flame you. I agree with you.

I hope he finds a better work ethic and decides to try harder for his team next season. I'll give the guy benefit of the doubt on this season. It can't be fun to live in Blake Griffin's shadow. I'm pretty much convinced that he can be better next season. I think what hurt him the most in the eyes of the NBA is the fact that he can't be the main star on a team. He doesn't have the right attitude for it and is a better player as the second fiddle. Also, if we had anybody taking over the paint, it would open up a lot of things for Willie.

All that being sad, this year has been a huge disappointment so far.

WW is a little immature. Sitting in the lower bowl and listening and watching him play you realize this. It would help to let his head catch up with his body. The college experience doesn't work well for certain personalities. He just needs to grow up a little. While I think he is a distraction to this team, another year would do him good. I want what's best for the program.

EXcellent post, good stuff.

Back