Is Willie Warren a volume shooter?

Is Willie a volume shooter?

• Total voters
FWIW, last year in our two games without Blake (against two Texas and Kansas), and in the similar situation he will be in this season, Willie averaged 25 points (27 against Texas and 23 against Kansas), 4.5 assists, was 50 percent from the field (18-36) and 50 percent from 3-point range (9-18).

Last edited:
Plus they were both NCAA tournament teams, not like he did that vs Coppin St and Maryland Eastern Shore.

FWIW, last year in our two games without Blake (against two Texas and Kansas), and in the similar situation he will be in this season, Willie averaged 25 points (27 against Texas and 23 against Kansas), 4.5 assists, was 50 percent from the field (18-36) and 50 percent from 3-point range (9-18).

This is very true but I don't think 2 games is a large enough sample to base a whole season on.

No he's not a volume shooter, but as Sooner23 has illustrated, he should be.

Had he shot poorly, I guarantee that it would have been for most people :)

Let's hope not. :) Like I said earlier, WW was an extremely efficient scorer last year and shot great %'s, but to act as if that is an automatic without Blake is maybe a stretch. Could it happen? Sure. I think his %'s will come down a little bit just because he will be asked to take the shots with the half coming to a close and also shot clock.

Overall I would say he hasn't shown to be a volume shooter at all.

I'm not questioning abd's motives at all...I can't imagine what ill-motives he could have by asking this, so don't think that's where I'm coming from. But I don't understand the question. To my understanding, a "volume shooter" is a guy that puts up points, but is inefficient in getting those points and oftentimes is unable to fit his scoring opportunities into an offense. I don't think it is just something that applies to guys we think of as big scorers either.

For example, I think of Ron Artest as a volume shooter. He takes more shots than he should, takes them early in the shot clock, freelances and undermines offensive sets, and doesn't shoot a particularly good percentage.

The way the prospect of WW being a volume shooter seems to be a description of any high-level guard who is leaned on to score. OU needs his scoring, so he is going to have to put up a lot of attempts...there is no avoiding that. But its not like he is just a guy who floats around the perimeter and launches 20-footers. He can get his points in the mid-range and at the rim...he can play on the ball or off...and as previously mentioned, he will always get to the line to supplement his scoring.

The only thing I can figure you are getting at is if he is ready to be depended on as a go-to scorer. That seems to be a fair question. I want to see if he is the type of guy who can adjust his game if one part isn't working. For example, if his jumper isn't falling and a team is playing zone, can he dribble to the free throw line and either rely on a mid-range jumper or dump the ball off when the zone sucks in? Or will he keep shooting because its what the defense is giving him? That is the hardest thing for a guard to learn...how to impose his team's gameplan against a defense that is inviting him to do something else.

I know Willie can do it, and I know Capel will prepare him to do it, but none of us knows what he will do until we see it. Regardless, its one of the things I'm most curious to see play out this year.

BTW...great post abd...these are the kind of things we should be talking about with the season a couple of weeks away...keep 'em comin'

Let's hope not. :) Like I said earlier, WW was an extremely efficient scorer last year and shot great %'s, but to act as if that is an automatic without Blake is maybe a stretch. Could it happen? Sure. I think his %'s will come down a little bit just because he will be asked to take the shots with the half coming to a close and also shot clock.

Overall I would say he hasn't shown to be a volume shooter at all.

he took the shots last year with the shot clock coming down and the half coming to a close .. it won't be anything new ..

Willie goes 0-8 from the 3pt line against VCU, and goes 7-20 from field and 4-10 from the 3pt line in a blowout loss to San Diego. He was jacking crap up all over the place.

So far, he has been a bad volume shooter. He scored 30 last night, his team got drilled, and he took 20 shots and the next guy took 8. That pretty much defines a volume shooter.

Back