Jeff Goodman's Preseason Top 25 (Plus 25 More)

Are you relying solely on memory? You must be, because you've got it wrong. OU and ISU tied for second in the Big 12; they both finished 12-6 in conference play.

ISU won a tight one against us in the conference tourney; we outdid them by a wide margin in the NCAA tourney. We finished well ahead in the final polls last season.

So tell us again why they should be ranked six spots above us? And this time, please have your facts straight.

You are totally correct on the official finish for OU (tied for 2nd) in the league. The tie-breaker somehow cost us in tournament seeding, but we still finished tied for second in the official standings.

It reminds me a bit of a false narrative for the OU football team back in 1990. OU and the Corn tied for second behind Colorado at 5-2, and OU crushed the Huskers in the head-to-head. But the whole world still believed for years that we were third, because it was listed that way alphabetically in the records.

.....I feel like people are underestimating how important Hogue and DeJean-Jones were for them. That's 20 points, 10 rebounds, and ISU's best defensive player (BJD). Sure, they're rolling out some quality transfers, but I don't think you can automatically assume those guys will step in and immediately replace that kind of production.

I'm not sure I agree on either player, but I look at losing Dustin Hogue as a bigger loss than Bryce DeJean-Jones. Both of their stats were inflated by the non-conference games.

BJD wasn't even starting for them by the end of the year and wasn't getting many minutes. For example, he only played 8 minutes in their first OU game and 5 minutes in their NCAA tournament game and scored no points in either game. He was inconsistent.

BJD was kicked off the team at USC after 1 semester, transferred to UNLV where a teammate threatened to kill him with a gun and came to ISU where he got into some trouble there where he was suspended for a game ..... disorderly conduct and charges for running a drug house were dropped. I don't think his presence in the locker room was good for team chemistry at any of the 3 colleges he attended.

Dustin Hogue was a better player for ISU as a junior. I think Jameel McKay becoming eligible at the start of the 2nd semester moved Hogue to a lesser role. He still contributed but he was 3rd on the pecking order of post players behind Niang and McKay. He scored a total of 35 points in his last 8 games .... less than 4.5/game. He was a little small for a post player and not quite skilled enough for a wing.

I don't think losing either player is a major hurdle for ISU. JMHO.

Last edited:
Pre-season polls are interesting, but it is hard to get fired up about them. It is nice that OU is ranked in the top-10. It is nice that three Big-12 teams are recognized as top-10 teams. All of that is a sign of respect for OU and the conference. If OU successfully navigates the very challenging non-conference schedule, then the early season ranking will take care of itself.

With high expectations for at least three Big-12 teams based on returning talent and experience, it should be an exciting and entertaining conference season. My hope is that the high expectations will sell more season tickets and get more butts in the seats at the LNC. I hope that the student support starts the season like it finished last season. The students were great down the stretch.

Note: McNeese State added to the schedule:
http://creighton.247sports.com/Page...-host-McNeese-State-in-late-November-37535864

> OU @ Memphis (Tues, Nov. 17)
> McNeese State @ OU (Fri, Nov. 20)
> Wisconsin @ OU (Sun, Nov. 29)
> OU vs. Villanova (Mon, Dec. 7 in Hawaii; Pearl Harbor Day game)
> Creighton @ OU (Sat, Dec. 19)
> OU @ LSU (Sat, Jan. 30)

3 Games at Diamondhead Classic in Hawaii
Dec. 22, 23, 25 ... Opponents TBD
> Auburn
> BYU
> Harvard
> Hawaii
> New Mexico
> Northern Iowa
> Oklahoma
> Washington State

I'm not sure I agree on either player, but I look at losing Dustin Hogue as a bigger loss than Bryce DeJean-Jones. Both of their stats were inflated by the non-conference games.

BJD wasn't even starting for them by the end of the year and wasn't getting many minutes. For example, he only played 8 minutes in their first OU game and 5 minutes in their NCAA tournament game and scored no points in either game. He was inconsistent.

BJD was kicked off the team at USC after 1 semester, transferred to UNLV where a teammate threatened to kill him with a gun and came to ISU where he got into some trouble there where he was suspended for a game ..... disorderly conduct and charges for running a drug house were dropped. I don't think his presence in the locker room was good for team chemistry at any of the 3 colleges he attended.

Dustin Hogue was a better player for ISU as a junior. I think Jameel McKay becoming eligible at the start of the 2nd semester moved Hogue to a lesser role. He still contributed but he was 3rd on the pecking order of post players behind Niang and McKay. He scored a total of 35 points in his last 8 games .... less than 4.5/game. He was a little small for a post player and not quite skilled enough for a wing.

I don't think losing either player is a major hurdle for ISU. JMHO.

I defer to your apparent expertise on the ISU roster. But just looking at the stats, you could accuse Abdel Nader of inconsistency as well, and he's supposed to be one of their key starters. I also got the sense that Hogue was a leader and something of a clutch player for them. That's not easy to replace.

I guess my point is that everyone dings OU for the fact that they lose Thomas (who showed some inconsistency in big games himself), but if you look at it from a production standpoint, ISU and KU lose just as much, if not more.

At the end of the day, it's a waste of time to quibble too much about these rankings. I just happen to believe that ISU is a little overrated going into next season.

Again, I think ISU is very good. But pre-season top 5? I just don't see it. I feel like people are underestimating how important Hogue and DeJean-Jones were for them. That's 20 points, 10 rebounds, and ISU's best defensive player (BJD). Sure, they're rolling out some quality transfers, but I don't think you can automatically assume those guys will step in and immediately replace that kind of production.

BJD is not a a significant loss, he's a headcase. In addition, he was never their best defensive player...McKay is. He makes their defense click with the rim protection.

The only thing more irrelevant than in-season rankings are pre-season rankings from MAY. Hell, all the transfers and coaching changes haven't been settled yet. Is Iowa State a little overrated...probably. But they are deeper team right now IMO and have an overwhelming advantage playing at Hilton Coliseum while OU's local fans make consistent excuses on not showing up. Iowa State feels more balanced offensively and defensively when taking a step back. They already have established inside players that can score and defend, OU has a bruiser and a couple guys that have tons of potential, but haven't delivered. OU is going to be the same team they were last year...a half court jump shooting team, probably even more so than this past season. Doesn't mean OU can't sweep ISU or KU, but putting them behind the three isn't inconceivable by any means.

Last edited:
Back