Kansas basketball media drumming up "interest" in Cam Clark

Seymore Cox

Reaction score
Not to belabor the issue with some of OU media types, but KU basketball media are so sophisticated in how they involve themselves in recruiting. "Eboss" and Shay Wildeboor are pros at Identifying a Kansas level player and then going to their website and drumming up interest. Cam Clark has been an unknown recruit to most of the KU fanbase. Their concentration has been on Harrison Barnes and others. Now that the cat is out of the bag and Cam Clark is just a few paces behind Barnes skillwise, Cam Clark's name keeps popping up on different KU websites. Now KU fans are still oblivious to Cam Clark to a degree. They're more interested in guys like Brandon Knight, McCallum, Beal, and Barnes. They're also following the Xavier Henry Born Free saga, but when the dust clears and Barnes and Knight single in on other schools, they'll begin to pump up the Cam Clark to KU talk.

In the past, that might have been the case. KU could go hard after a big time national guy and then come back and grab a Lankford or the kid they got from Arkansas a few years back, but I don't think that's the case with Capel. I think he pretty much has Clark locked up. It's going to be tough. UNC is now recruiting this kid. But that's OK, UNC recruited WW. Capel lock WW down and I think his early work on Clark will pay off.

I hope your predictions on Capel locking up Cam due to getting in on him early is right. While I dont doubt Coach's recruiting ability (who could) when you start bringing up KU and UNC with a recruit nothing is ever a given. Lets hope the good guys (us) can close the deal on this one.

I think prediction is a good word to use, because obviously I have no inside info. I just like the trend. TJ took two unofficial visits this year just as Cam Clark did. I'm encouraged that both of them took one visit the same trip and that their is transparency with the OU staff in regards to their places in the program. TJ wasn't given the line about being the future PG at OU. He's going to come in and contribute in any way. I think he's also going to help recruit Cam and Pressey.

This is going to be a real battle imo. I wish KU would have just stuck to Washburn. haha

I like our chances with Capel though.

Not to belabor the issue with some of OU media types, but KU basketball media are so sophisticated in how they involve themselves in recruiting. "Eboss" and Shay Wildeboor are pros at Identifying a Kansas level player and then going to their website and drumming up interest. Cam Clark has been an unknown recruit to most of the KU fanbase. Their concentration has been on Harrison Barnes and others. Now that the cat is out of the bag and Cam Clark is just a few paces behind Barnes skillwise, Cam Clark's name keeps popping up on different KU websites. Now KU fans are still oblivious to Cam Clark to a degree. They're more interested in guys like Brandon Knight, McCallum, Beal, and Barnes. They're also following the Xavier Henry Born Free saga, but when the dust clears and Barnes and Knight single in on other schools, they'll begin to pump up the Cam Clark to KU talk. In the past, that might have been the case. KU could go hard after a big time national guy and then come back and grab a Lankford or the kid they got from Arkansas a few years back, but I don't think that's the case with Capel. I think he pretty much has Clark locked up. It's going to be tough. UNC is now recruiting this kid. But that's OK, UNC recruited WW. Capel lock WW down and I think his early work on Clark will pay off.

Two things jump out at me about your post.
1) It's amazing to me how in tune you are with the KU fanbase. I mean you know what they think and feel and everything.
2) You do realize that what fan bases talk about on the internet and what recruits they are concerned with has zero to do with where that kid will go. It all depends on how hard the coaching staffs are recruiting a kid. The chatter, or lack thereof, on message boards has zero to do with what is really going on.

For the record, I think Clark ultimately chooses OU. But it has nothing to do with what recruits the KU fanbase at phog.net or the OU fanbase here are concerned with. It's all about the staffs and how hard they are recruiting the kids.

Another funny, sad thread by DM! :)

It's interesting you think OU has Clark locked up. In the last two articles I've seen he's said he's wide open. Do you have some inside sources here?

It's interesting you think OU has Clark locked up. In the last two articles I've seen he's said he's wide open. Do you have some inside sources here?

He has talked about how much he likes OU. Some sources have said we lead. He and TJ have both expressed interest in playing together and are very good friends, and Capel got in on him early and Clark likes Capel quite a bit.

No direct info but all signs as of now make me feel pretty good.

He has talked about how much he likes OU. Some sources have said we lead. He and TJ have both expressed interest in playing together and are very good friends, and Capel got in on him early and Clark likes Capel quite a bit.

No direct info but all signs as of now make me feel pretty good.

I don't disagree with anything you've said. I've heard quite a bit that OU leads but that is quite a different from OU has him locked up. I think OU does lead but I think that lead is going to be challenged in the coming months and he has stated that he's wide open. Should be a fun ride.

You guys didn't pay attention to the initial post. Don't you realize the future of recruits lands on internet sites? Whoever they talk the most about will determine where each player goes. Capel & Self have little to do with it....it's all about internet posters and who they favor.
LOL...just messin' with you Dirty!!!!! :)

Two things jump out at me about your post.
1) It's amazing to me how in tune you are with the KU fanbase. I mean you know what they think and feel and everything.
2) You do realize that what fan bases talk about on the internet and what recruits they are concerned with has zero to do with where that kid will go. It all depends on how hard the coaching staffs are recruiting a kid. The chatter, or lack thereof, on message boards has zero to do with what is really going on.

For the record, I think Clark ultimately chooses OU. But it has nothing to do with what recruits the KU fanbase at phog.net or the OU fanbase here are concerned with. It's all about the staffs and how hard they are recruiting the kids.

Amazing stat I just noticed. 2 jayhawks Cheno and grace24 have more posts than most of us on this website but since they are both very knowledgeable, that's a good thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Xavier Henry going to KU may have sealed the deal for us. I think Xavier will play atleast two years with his brother. As for my initial premise that is getting taken out of context by the resident KU police, it was not meant to be inflammatory, but the internet media does play a huge role in recruitment. If anything we've learned through this Xavier Henry fiasco is how much internet reporters and fan sites have played a role. He's went back and forth on two schools and the internet has affected it. Do you not think when reports of Henry to visit UK came about that Bill Self didn't react and contact them. Also, look at Orton. He begins to mumble about not going to UK through internet reports, and the whole UK fanbase comes to the Derby Classic, treats him like the next Lebron, and he ultimately chooses UK party because of the fans showing him love at that game.

Now my premise about Clark is that KU media, more specifically, their internet media drums up interest with their fans. Now what's wrong with that? Nothing. They do it for every major recruit and work their way down to the lower ranked ones. OU has been in on Clark for a long time. He has repeatedly talked about OU coaches and the school more than any school that is recruiting him. KU internet sites start running profiles of Clark, because they have now discovered that he's alot better than they knew. All of a sudden, KU has a 30% chance of landing him in the opinion of some of their fans. Generally, this fan interest leads to KU fans flocking over recruits at midnight madness, holding posters with the kids in KU jerseys and really showing these kids some love. It works. It is a huge recruiting tool. The comfort that I have as an OU fan is that I believe Coach Capel is at another level than what Sampson was in his approach to recruiting. This guy evaluates kids alot early, doesn't tuck tail just because KU or Duke comes in the door, and does a great job of utilizing his whole staff and players at making recruits feel at home. At this point, WW might be the best recruiter on staff. Again, it wasn't a post meant to inflame. I understand that if when the two KU guys don't see KU being portrayed as that Beacon of light on the Big12 hill, they get ruffled, but fine.

As for my initial premise that is getting taken out of context by the resident KU police, it was not meant to be inflammatory, but the internet media does play a huge role in recruitment. If anything we've learned through this Xavier Henry fiasco is how much internet reporters and fan sites have played a role. He's went back and forth on two schools and the internet has affected it. Do you not think when reports of Henry to visit UK came about that Bill Self didn't react and contact them. Also, look at Orton. He begins to mumble about not going to UK through internet reports, and the whole UK fanbase comes to the Derby Classic, treats him like the next Lebron, and he ultimately chooses UK party because of the fans showing him love at that game.

But see, I don't think any of this is true. You say the internet played a role but I don't think it did. These guys don't pay attention as much as we do. X Henry has went back and forth because he didn't know what to do. Not the internet. I don't think Bill Self finds things out threw the internet. He can call or text X. Self and Calipari knew what was going on the entire time.
And Orton didn't choose UK because the fans showed him love. He was already committed there. He knew they had love for them. He had a new coach he needed to reacquiant himself with. And he mentioned KU...but the minute Aldrich said he was coming back KU was out and he was going to UK still. To think the internet sparks all of this is silly.

The comfort that I have as an OU fan is that I believe Coach Capel is at another level than what Sampson was in his approach to recruiting. This guy evaluates kids alot early, doesn't tuck tail just because KU or Duke comes in the door, and does a great job of utilizing his whole staff and players at making recruits feel at home.
Totally agree 110%. This is why OU is landing top kids. You should have left all the other mumbo jumbo out...this is the reason.

I understand that if when the two KU guys don't see KU being portrayed as that Beacon of light on the Big12 hill, they get ruffled, but fine.
Silly. Your initial post in this thread, if anything, was complimentary to KU, KU's media and KU's internet posters. You complemented them. I just disagree which is why I commented.

Amazing stat I just noticed. 2 jayhawks Cheno and grace24 have more posts than most of us on this website but since they are both very knowledgeable, that's a good thing.

That doesn't sound like butter at all. :mad:

http://www.basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=942070

Options for Clark
Will the escalation of Cameron Clark land him in Kansas?

-- Brandon from Denison, Kan.
-----
I don't know about Kansas, but Clark is going to have plenty of options. Two weeks ago Clark listed offers from Oklahoma, USC, Arizona State and Oklahoma State. Chances are that his offer list has expanded after the reports of his stellar play at the Real Deal in the Rock.

Kansas is interested in Clark, but Harrison Barnes is the Jayhawks' top target at the small forward position. Clark has a very similar game to Barnes as a wing player who can do pretty much everything a wing can do. The question for Kansas is whether or not Barnes and Clark can play the wing positions together, and the answer to that question might very well be yes.

Don't be surprised if Kentucky makes a strong run at Clark. Kentucky really isn't in the picture for Barnes. The bigger question for the Wildcats is whether they like Clark or Roscoe Smith better as small forwards.

LOL! As if him now being "good" deems him worthy of Kansas. Funny how Meyer dismisses it as a UK vs. KU battle.

Good original post, DirtyMess.

I think it probably ends up being a Moot point. First reason is because I think Capel wins out head to head versus KU or anyone else on him? Second reason is because KU has a 6'5 wing guard coming in that may not be as good as Clark or Barnes, but definetely is a stud. Third reason is because I believe Xavier Henry will go the Blake route and play two years with his brother and prepare himself to be the first pick in 2011, disqualifying KU in pursuit of Clark and maybe Barnes.

Your post about it being a moot point is correct. Let ku recruit Clark and Barnes all they want. They won't get both of them. I know for a fact that Cameron is very high on Coach Capel and OU right now. Cameron won't forget the love we have given him early and through the whole process. With ku Cameron Clark is just window dressing. With OU he is a main priority. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!:clap

Second reason is because KU has a 6'5 wing guard coming in that may not be as good as Clark or Barnes, but definetely is a stud.
Woolridge is more like 6'3 and more of a guard where Clark/Barnes are more swingman.

Third reason is because I believe Xavier Henry will go the Blake route and play two years with his brother and prepare himself to be the first pick in 2011, disqualifying KU in pursuit of Clark and maybe Barnes.
X coming back for 1 more year would have nothing to do with KU's recruitment of Clark & Barnes. Both would only be there with X there freshmen year and both could play with him. KU will have at least 3 scholarships to give without X. One has been used on a guard in Woolridge still leaving them 2. McCallum & Barnes/Clark will be gone after hard with those last 2.

Cameron won't forget the love we have given him early and through the whole process. With ku Cameron Clark is just window dressing. With OU he is a main priority. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!
I think OU is his leader because they've been on him the longest and his friendship of TJ Taylor but by what I've read KU's recruiting him hard. They really want him. The one thing I learned about Self (which was Roys downfall) is he doesn't focus and fall in love with one guy. He recruits a bunch of guys hard. I think Barnes ends up at Duke.

Back