KU hoops better off without Terrence Jones

Sooner23

Reaction score
KU hoops better off without Terrence Jones

http://campuscorner.kansascity.com/node/875

By J. Brady McCollough - Posted on 05 May 2010

Five-star combo forward Terrence Jones may have announced last week that he will attend Washington at a press conference at his high school, but, according to Rivals.com, Jones is still torn between Washington and Kentucky.

Well, as crazy as this may sound, Kansas fans should just feel lucky that they are out of the running.

Sure, Jones would have been a great get for KU coach Bill Self late in the signing period. He likely would have been in the mix for playing time right away even with the Jayhawks having plenty of talent at small forward (Travis Releford and Mario Little) and power forward (Marcus Morris and Thomas Robinson).

Sometimes, though, you can just have too much, and Jones' presence would have just confused the situation. Releford and Little already sacrificed by redshirting last season, and after seeing KU flame out early in the second round of the tournament, you had to wonder if either of those players could have made a difference. They've earned their time to shine. Morris evolved into KU's most consistent performer near the end of last season and needs to play 30 minutes a game in 2010-11.

Self will be better served to roll into next season with 12 scholarship players and save the available scholarship for the next recruiting year. If KU had signed Jones, the Jayhawks would unquestionably have had to redshirt a player or a couple of players.

Even without Jones, there are going to be some talented/proven players not receiving much playing time. At guard, Tyshawn Taylor, Josh Selby, Tyrel Reed, Brady Morningstar, Elijah Johnson, Releford, Little and freshman Royce Woolridge will battle for time (I would be surprised if Woolridge did not redshirt). Inside, there will be a clear rotation of Marcus and Markieff Morris, Robinson and center Jeff Withey. Little will also play some at the No. 4 spot.

Looking back at the 2008 national title team, there was a clear drop-off in talent after the seventh or eight spot. Rodrick Stewart and Jeremy Case knew they were not better than Brandon Rush or Mario Chalmers. That team was going to play seven guys most of the time, and those seven were clearly the right seven.

Last season, there was a gray area, and this coming season, it won't be easy to differentiate either. The bottom line is, there was truly no room for Jones if Self wanted to keep a happy locker room.

Read more: http://campuscorner.kansascity.com/node/875#ixzz0nH3QiZ63

popcornj.gif

I think you found yourself a new career path Tony

I honestly thought this was a joke thread when I just read the title.

So awesome.

This isn't KU fans....this is a Kansas City Star reporter.
Trust me most KU fans, including myself, wanted T Jones badly!!!!!

I'm of the belief you can never have too much talent.
But I know I'm in the minority because in '08 when KU was in a little slide in the Big 12 during a rough patch all my closest KSU, Mizzou and yes, Sooner fans here, said KU had too much talent and chemistry problems. That they needed tough hard nosed role players instead of MCDAA's. :ez-laugh:

This isn't KU fans....this is a Kansas City Star reporter.
Trust me most KU fans, including myself, wanted T Jones badly!!!!!

I'm of the belief you can never have too much talent.
But I know I'm in the minority because in '08 when KU was in a little slide in the Big 12 during a rough patch all my closest KSU, Mizzou and yes, Sooner fans here, said KU had too much talent and chemistry problems. That they needed tough hard nosed role players instead of MCDAA's. :ez-laugh:

No, this is a KU spinmeister in the same mold as Robert Allen and James Hale. A guy that sunshine pumps to keep the fanbase from saying anything negative about the program. I will give this guy credit for not being as bad as UK spinmeisters.

No, this is a KU spinmeister in the same mold as Robert Allen and James Hale. A guy that sunshine pumps to keep the fanbase from saying anything negative about the program. I will give this guy credit for not being as bad as UK spinmeisters.

No one should ever be put in the same category as Robert Allen... And that includes James Hale.

No, this is a KU spinmeister in the same mold as Robert Allen and James Hale. A guy that sunshine pumps to keep the fanbase from saying anything negative about the program.

:ez-roll:
This is the same reporter that wrote the huge negative story about Xavier and CJ Henry last year before they reported to KU. The one with all the Carl Henry comments that were negative towards KU and the staff.
Come on dude...at least know a little bit about what you speak. :facepalm

No one should ever be put in the same category as Robert Allen... And that includes James Hale.

Normally I'd agree with you but Hale has pulled some stunts here lately that are actually worse than what RA has done.

Normally I'd agree with you but Hale has pulled some stunts here lately that are actually worse than what RA has done.

Hah i don't think we can mention his name without paying. Nevermind, he probably already knew we were going to mention his name since he is the one that knows about everything. Heck, he broke all the recent recruiting news himself lol.

How so?

In terms of homerishness, he doesn't even compare to RA. So I'm guessing Hale has done/said something ridiculous recently?

:ez-roll:
This is the same reporter that wrote the huge negative story about Xavier and CJ Henry last year before they reported to KU. The one with all the Carl Henry comments that were negative towards KU and the staff.
Come on dude...at least know a little bit about what you speak. :facepalm

probably trying to get back in good with your fellow arsehoelz.:tinypower

I have been on OU Insider for a long time and I have never heard or read Hale state anything remotely close to some of the illogical remarks Allen's made. You must have read something that Hale's said that I haven't.

In terms of homerishness, he doesn't even compare to RA. So I'm guessing Hale has done/said something ridiculous recently?

That's what I was saying. Every site has its homers and Hale is included. But they don't come close to the full-subjectivity that Allen displays. Its unbelievable how biased he is for the Pokes.

Hey now, this thread is about KU hoops let's get it back on track.
How about Josh Selby vaulting over Brandon Knight in all the updated recruiting rankings. Kid is going to be off the hook.

The more this board can get off the topic of KU basketball, the better. ;)

:ez-laugh: I hear ya man but it isn't going to happen. I mean look at how silly this thread is....talk about a reach.

Back