Less athletes, more basketball players.....

SoonerfanTU

Banned
Reaction score
If you look at alot of the players Capel has brough in, most of them are high on athletic ability, low on polished basketball skills.

Now don't get me wrong.....if you pretty much only recruit polished players with limited ceilings, you get Kelvin's teams. And while I'd kill to have his teams right now, I realize that if you can mix in the occassional super star, or NBA-talent, that would elevate the program some. The problem is, when you recruit nothing but athletic ability, you miss on alot of players, and you put a pretty crappy product on the floor alot of the time.

Capel needs to figure this out, and start getting a better mix. This year is a perfect example. I had heard that Tiny was more perimeter oriented, and that he would have to adjust to playing inside. Fine. I didn't get to watch Tiny a bunch in HS, so I had no idea he was this far away. Capel should have seen that in his tape evaluation and live recruiting. And as such, he should have given us another option in the post. That is a recruiting/coaching problem. That is a problem with realizing that we'd have a hole inside, and taking care of it. A JUCO would have been the perfect fit, if there was a good one available. It would have given us immediate help, and it would have broken up the classes a bit, as we won't have any seniors next year except Allen and Davis.

But you look back at the recruits, and you see a bunch of kids that had alot to work on. Willie is super athletic, but he isn't a great shooter. Isn't a great ball handler. Isn't a very good defender. Maze was super quick, but couldn't shoot, couldn't defend, and couldn't dribble with his left. Neysmith was athletic, but apparently not skilled. I don't know about Early. I won't really include Blake, though he is still alot more athletic then skillled. But his skills got ALOT better his soph year.

I just think we need a better mix. Sometimes take the more polished 75 ranked player or a JUCO, over the 30 ranked player who has a higher ceiling. And alot of this may have to do with Capel not knowing when to give up on a recruit. Seems like we've stayed in a few too long, and missed out on just the type of guys I'm talking about. Roberson comes to mind.

Who's a great athlete out of this group?

Fitzgerald? Pledger? Allen? Hardwick? TMG? Gallon? Leary?

More Cade Davis less Juan Patillo. I like this.

Exactly.

More David Godbold, Kevin Bookout, Hollis Price. Less Early, Gallon (unless we have the depth to let him develop), and Neysmith/Maze and even Warren to some degree.

It's a puzzle. You have to mix and match.

A good coach can turn athletes into basketball players....a coach cannot turn basketball players into athletes...our problem this year is we do not have enough athletes "above the rim" type players

TU you and I disagreed quite a bit on the old board, not sure if you remember. I completely agree with you here.

Spend more time recruiting players with high basketball IQ to complete the roster. We dont have to hit a homerun on every recruit.

Cade Davis is probably our best athlete.

A good coach can turn athletes into basketball players....a coach cannot turn basketball players into athletes...our problem this year is we do not have enough athletes "above the rim" type players

I disagree. At least, not within a year or two.

Capel, now matter how great a coach he is, can't tap Tiny's potential in two years. Just not possible. Maybe if he sticks around 3-4 years we'd see it, but that is unlikely. Seeing Tiny now, I don't know why Capel either didn't recruit a JUCO to supplement him, or didn't find a more polished big man to go after. And maybe Jeff did go after a better player and we missed on him. But to go into this year with the Tiny and Wright that I see just isn't smart.

TU you and I disagreed quite a bit on the old board, not sure if you remember. I completely agree with you here.

Spend more time recruiting players with high basketball IQ to complete the roster. We dont have to hit a homerun on every recruit.

Vaguely remember. Alot of folks have disagreed with me during Capel's tenure.

Agreed. And neither of us is saying stop recruiting the studs, just make sure we're recruiting the surrounding talent that will make them a team, not a bunc of good individuals.

Duke does pretty well with those types of guys.

And their lack of athleticism the last 5 years has really handcuffed them (and rumblings have started about this). And the majority if their "basketball" players were still highly thought of coming out of high school (Scheyer, Singler, Plumlee, etc)

And I agree with you to an extent....just think there needs to be a good mix on your roster. And right now, I think OU's roster is slanted towards raw players

This team needs some guys like those honored in this clip. Especially the guy that comes out of the game at about the 3:00 minute mark.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKHsg1wlUpY[/ame]

Heskett was a good role player.

That is the point. As an outside observer it seems no one on this team is willing to play their role and no one is willing to be the garbage man. The guy who takes the charges, cleans up the boards, practices harder than they play in games, etc, etc.

That is the point. As an outside observer it seems no one on this team is willing to play their role and no one is willing to be the garbage man. The guy who takes the charges, cleans up the boards, practices harder than they play in games, etc, etc.

Cade does those things.

You want players who practice harder than they play in games? I certainly don't. You want guys who practice and play hard.

Injuries derailed Heskett a bit, but he was mostly a 20 minute/game who could make some 3s and hustled on defense. I have hopes that Pledger becomes OU's 3 point shooter (and adds a pump fake as DM posted in another thread)....but Pledger needs to increase his lateral quickness and work on his defense.

There are two guys who have done exactly that. Crock and Davis. Please don't lump every player together in the same way.

Cade does those things.

He wasn't in garbage time against oSu Saturday...

I also don't get the sense his teammates respect him like guys respected Heskett. That is probably the thing I failed to post.

Back