Long Range Shooting

pnkranger

Reaction score
I have a feeling this is going to be one of our strengths this year. The following guys can all contribute in a big way from behind the arc.

TC
WW
RW
CD

TMG
Tiny
Pledger

That's 7 guys who can get hot on any given night. That's 3 more than we had last year...what do you guys think?

I agree. I think this will be our best shooting team in a while. We have a lot of guys that can shoot the 3. THe only issue will be whether Tiny Gallon can stay healthy, in shape to log big minutes and out of foul trouble enough to provide a post pressence and create double-teams. He will also have to learn pretty quickly how to pass out of those double teams if they come.

I dont think any of our other big men will cause coaches to gameplan for double teams this year. I think their #1 priority will be stopping WW, and 2nd priority will be Tiny Gallon...if he can stay on the floor.

I really think Tiny is the key to this year, not only inside but setting up our guards.

I have a feeling this is going to be one of our strengths this year. The following guys can all contribute in a big way from behind the arc.

TC
WW
RW
CD

TMG
Tiny
Pledger

That's 7 guys who can get hot on any given night. That's 3 more than we had last year...what do you guys think?

Agreed, pnk! Teams that try to zone OU this year are playing right into our hands offensively, because every player on your list is capable of shooting a high percentage from the perimeter. I think it's way too early to say this team my be one of our best outside shooting team in years, but they certainly have the potential to earn that title.

Last season's stats

TC..........39%
WW........47%
RW.........37% (in limited action)
CD..........38%

TMG........Runner up in the McDonald's AA Game three point shooting contest
Tiny........Hit 6 of 9 threes in one game his senior season at Oak Hill
Pledger....Averaged better than 50% from three his final two years in high school, including one game where he went 11 of 14 from behind the arc.

That is some serious offensive firepower from long range!

The key to long range shooting is being open for long range shooting. TMG and WW are the keys to that if they can drive and pitch.

I would not include Crocker as a long range shooter. He goes off some games and at least half the time disappears except defensively. Cade is not consistent either. WW will have a chance this year to get more shots. Unless our center (by committee I think) is a threat then our guards will be closely guarded.

I would not include Crocker as a long range shooter. He goes off some games and at least half the time disappears except defensively. Cade is not consistent either. WW will have a chance this year to get more shots. Unless our center (by committee I think) is a threat then our guards will be closely guarded.

his sophomore year he was far more consistent. I'm not sure which year one should go by... but I would still consider Crocker a long range shooter.

j2d, perimeter shooting can be as fickle as your junior high school sweetheart. Every good shooter has off nights, even in the pros. That's why you have to look at season averages to determine a player's worth as a shooter. Thirty nine percent and thirty eight percent respectively for TC and CD is not that bad.

I agree that T Crock and Cade are not what I would call great long range shooters. But, the point I was trying to make is that those two, along with the five others on pnkranger's list, are very capable of hitting big shots and having big games. I can't think of an OU team in years with as many quality (at least in my opinion) long range shooters. Shooting from the perimeter will definitely be one of our strengths this season.

with the addition of two guys who can drive the lane, i believe penetration and 3 pt. shooting will both becomes strengths this year. and like dirty said, they go hand-in-hand.

Pledger....Averaged better than 50% from three his final two years in high school, including one game where he went 11 of 14 from behind the arc.

I could actually see Pledger having a major role next season. I am pretty much expecting TMG and Tiny to have big roles but I think Pledger could be the sleeper of the class, possibly even working his way in front of Cade Davis and Ray Willis for minutes. Obviously, it will be tough for him to do this, espcially Cade Davis because Cade has a lot of experience but I really have high hopes for Pledger.

And unlike OSU, long-range shooting will not be our entire game. We have talented enough big men to keep our opponents honest. Furthermore, we have have more than one player (Eaton) who can drive the lane and hit a shot or draw a foul.

Back